Thread: Visual voicemail server changes

Feedback Score

Visual voicemail server changes

Back in early June, T-Mobile shut down their legacy visual voicemail server and the Java-based VVM software on my old Symbian phone died. I contacted them at the time and was told they were having problems across the board and to just be patient. When nothing improved, I finally contacted them again last week. This time they explained that the 3rd party company administrating VVM changed and at the very least, the server name with it. If the changes aren't too extensive, I'd like to try hacking the Java class files to bring VVM back to life, but for that will need to know what changed. I searched this forum for VVM-specific threads, but found none, so may not be asking in the right place? I did find details on the legacy protocol in a 2014 article here:

https://shubs.io/breaking-internatio...-exploitation/

Can anyone assist?

Feedback Score
    Maybe it’s time for an upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Current: iPhone, Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    While I don’t have any good advice on where to hunt the server down, I commend your attempts to continue using the device you prefer.

Actually one idea, maybe, you could find an iOS carrier bundle zip file online and look through the plist and xml files, there may be a VVM server in there, although it also may be iOS specific.

Feedback Score
    Actually, I'd love to get rid of it, but don't like Android's privacy issues, don't want to replace it with an "appliance" (i.e. iPhone), and don't want to give up the real FM radio and offline maps (supported in part on Android, methinks). My upgrade was going to be a Sailfish phone, but that OS seems in a perpetual state of "one step forward, one step back". Sigh.

The debug output from Linux-based smartphones (and maybe rooted Android phones?) would mostly do the trick, such as

https://forums.ubports.com/topic/253...-configuration

but I don't have access to such a beast. Maybe I'll post over at the Ubuntu forums? Thanks for the reply.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thetao View Post
    Back in early June, T-Mobile shut down their legacy visual voicemail server and the Java-based VVM software on my old Symbian phone died. I contacted them at the time and was told they were having problems across the board and to just be patient. When nothing improved, I finally contacted them again last week. This time they explained that the 3rd party company administrating VVM changed and at the very least, the server name with it. If the changes aren't too extensive, I'd like to try hacking the Java class files to bring VVM back to life, but for that will need to know what changed. I searched this forum for VVM-specific threads, but found none, so may not be asking in the right place? I did find details on the legacy protocol in a 2014 article here:

https://shubs.io/breaking-internatio...-exploitation/

Can anyone assist?
    Here's a lateral suggestion... Could you switch VVM providers? T-Mo certainly isn't the only game in town- there are several third-party options compatible with T-Mo.

Normally I'd suggest Google Voice, my current VVM provider, because it's both free and full-featured, but since you're avoiding Android for privacy reasons, it stands to reason you'd avoid GV for the same reasons. Given that, I wholeheartedly recommend YouMail, a freemium VVM provider.

I used YouMail for years before T-Mo even offered VVM (even before the iPhone was released and made the world think Apple invented VVM!)

There might even still be a YouMail app floating around for Symbian (if there ever was one), but even if there isn't, YouMail will email and/or text your VVMs to you. This is how I used it in the olden days when Windows Mobile 5 and 6 were my weapons of choice.

I eventually gave YouMail up for Google Voice because GV included voice-to-text transcription for free (T-Mo and YouMail charge for it.)

You just need to setup conditional call forwarding (they give you the instructions) to a number YouMail provides, then, as our British friends say, Bob's your uncle.

YouMail also has a bunch of extra features, like call ditching (hanging up on blacklisted callers without letting them leave a message) and custom greetings (you can record different greetings for different contacts or groups of contacts- an endless source of amazement for my less tech savvy friends who couldn't figure out how my voicemail greetings referenced them individually, e.g. "Sorry, I couldn't come to the phone, Tom, but I checked my caller ID and saw it was you...")

Good luck!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestion. It never would have occurred to me. For all of YouMail's existence, I only encountered them the other day while investigating third party VVM clients, in case an open source project may have cataloged how each carrier works. And this is coming from somebody who worked for a B2B mobile phone reseller from 2007 to 2010. While I can likely research it on my own, my first question is how they make money if the base service is free. This is the same question I'd ask of Google if I didn't already know the answer.

Having said that, I still want to pursue fixing the T-Mobile client first, mostly out of stubbornness. If I succeed, I can dangle it in their face: you ain't getting rid of me that easily.