Thread: North Georgia coverage, not too shabby.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

North Georgia coverage, not too shabby.

I spent the weekend scouting trail heads and road crossings on the Pinhoti and Benton MacKaye hiking trails in NE Ala. and NW Ga., starting at Mt. Cheaha in Alabama and ending somewhere not too far from Springer Mtn. in Georgia. Much of the trip included running around gravel USFS roads.

I must say I was rather impressed with the improvement in T-Mobile's coverage in this area. While not anywhere as good a VZW, it seemed almost on-par with AT&T's coverage. My brother's AT&T phone would often go off the grid about the same places where my phone would. I ran a speed test on top of Mount Oglethorpe and got 19+ Mbps down and something like 8 up.

I was not quite so pleased on my trip from Montgomery to Mobile, when I got off I-65 and followed Ala 21 southwest. Admittedly, this is some of the most out-in-the-country scenery Alabama offers but I drove past a lot of available cell towers while showing no bars. I did see some band 71 service on this trip but it seems like T-Mobile is building there to satisfy FCC requirements rather than providing viable service.

I mapped a lot of the trip with CellMapper and Sensorly. I may show up by the end of the week.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Sounds peachy.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I did see some band 71 service on this trip but it seems like T-Mobile is building there to satisfy FCC requirements rather than providing viable service.
    That's been one of my main concerns with T-Mobile's rural service in some parts of the country. Is it better than it was ?Yes. Is it what they advertise ? Not really.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    That's been one of my main concerns with T-Mobile's rural service in some parts of the country. Is it better than it was ?Yes. Is it what they advertise ? Not really.
    To a large extent, T-Mobile's coverage in Alabama and Mississippi resembles two spider webs, radiating from the largest cities (Jackson, Montgomery, Birmingham) and following major highways outward connecting lesser population centers. Little effort has been made to cover rural area. When low-band (600 or 700 MHz) service is added they do the logical, efficient thing by adding low-band to existing towers. This has the effect of making the spider webs thicker but still leaving the most rural areas unserved.

Ala. Hwy. 21, south of Montgomery, is interesting in that, while a nice road, it connects Nodarnedwhere to Nuthin. The largest town, Atmore (Pop ~10K) is at the extreme southern end. It cuts across some of the roads that make up the spiderweb of coverage and samples areas of both good an nonexistent service.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 09-17-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My experience mirrors your with a Band 71 device. South Alabama has a lot of no signal areas, despite the map showing signal is available.

There is a tower on top of Cheaha co-located with the radio transmitter for T-Mobile and it provides good signal across Cheaha and even down into the valleys with Band 12. I have section hiked a lot of the AT and T-Mobile is good until you get up into parts of TN and then on up towards Mt. Rogers in VA.

They seem to have caught up to AT&T in terms of coverage in a lot of Alabama and GA, despite the rampant claims AT&T has significantly improved with FirstNet.

I'd agree though that Verizon has the edge in coverage (behind Southern LINC in Alabama), as a lot of those places down in South Alabama T-Mobile doesn't cover has Verizon LTE available.