Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Factory unlocked iPhone 11 to sprint, will it get locked?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    That's a ludicrous policy. What does someone gain by buying the carrier version from Apple anyway? A free sim card? I can see from the carrier or a store to get a better price but other than that it seems to make no sense.

I have read where using an unlocked phone on a Sprint MVNO can end up with the phone being locked to the MVNO also. Purely hearsay/memory as I cannot provide a link.
    The phone can be cheaper and you can pay for it monthly instead of upfront. 50 days for unlocked is the same as att and TMobile. Hell Sprint is the cheapest way to get a new phone. TMobile is the most expensive. Also MVNOS don't locked a unlocked phone they are not allowed to do that

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    That's a ludicrous policy. What does someone gain by buying the carrier version from Apple anyway? A free sim card? I can see from the carrier or a store to get a better price but other than that it seems to make no sense.

I have read where using an unlocked phone on a Sprint MVNO can end up with the phone being locked to the MVNO also. Purely hearsay/memory as I cannot provide a link.
    Some of the aspects are just accidents rather than necessarily intended, but some of the lock rationale for brand new phones is at least supposed to be for anti-fraud reasons.

Verizon is locking new phones for 60 days with that rationale now is it not? I realize that may not apply here.

If somebody activates a brand new phone on Sprint, is it that unreasonable to require it be in service for 50 days before unlocking it, to allow time for any ownership issues to surface and be checked out? Wouldn't the assumption be that a normal customer could stay 50 or 60 days?

Are our concerns centered around supporting phone flippers?

I do not really know all the ramifications or details. I am just asking.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Some of the aspects are just accidents rather than necessarily intended, but some of the lock rationale for brand new phones is at least supposed to be for anti-fraud reasons.

Verizon is locking new phones for 60 days with that rationale now is it not? I realize that may not apply here.

If somebody activates a brand new phone on Sprint, is it that unreasonable to require it be in service for 50 days before unlocking it, to allow time for any ownership issues to surface and be checked out? Wouldn't the assumption be that a normal customer could stay 50 or 60 days?

I'm not an Android guy. I know very little about Samsung phones. I know with Apple, if buying a phone outright, paying full price, it will be unlocked. If it has the CPU and radios necessary for all four networks, it can then be used on any carrier on Day 1, not Day 51 or Day 61 or Day 366.

My friend is looking to replace his Galaxy S6 or S7, I'm not sure what he has. He's on T-Mobile on a family plan with his sister and cousin. I tried to steer him in the direction of buying an unlocked phone to upgrade so if he ever decides he wants to switch to a different plan, he wouldn't be restricted by carrier or network. Paying full price for the phone upfront is not a problem. However, knowing the BestBuy policy on iPhones (first sim inserted upon first power up is the network to which the iPhone is locked, even if paid in full), I was afraid to suggest my friend buy a Samsung phone at BestBuy.

The problem really is there's no equivalent Samsung store to just buy an unlocked phone outright like there is an Apple store to buy a new unlocked phone, simply pay for it, and own it.

And so, the reason this is tangentially relevant to your question, I thought that since Verizon hasn't been locking any new phones (except for a few prepaid devices and other rare instances) since 2013, I decided to investigate whether purchasing a Verizon phone at a Verizon corporate store might be the best option. However, now that even Verizon is locking their phones for 60 days, we really don't know what to do. My friend thinks he can get a phone directly from T-Mobile because he may be eligible for an upgrade promotion, but I'm concerned that whatever he gets from T-Mobile corporate may (A) be locked to T-Mobile for a minimum of 50 or 60 days, which isn't really a big deal since he wants to stay on the family plan for now, and (B) may not have all the LTE bands and radios required if he should want to switch to a Verizon or Sprint MVNO. And that second concern can't be fixed in 50 or 60 days.

BestBuy has the Galaxy S8 64GB for $399, but when we looked on the website a few days ago, it was only $299 with activation, $399 to simply purchase the phone without service. This to me is a scam, but whatever. When we visited the Verizon corporate store, they had the A50 for $349, and the sales guy said it wouldn't be locked to Verizon as long as it's paid in full, but it would have to be activated, requiring the purchase of a month of Verizon prepaid service for $35 plus taxes and fees, bringing the actual price to over $400.

Bottom line here is anyone paying full price for a phone from any retailer (not leased, not financed, no monthly payments, no "mortgage" on the phone so to speak) should not be subject to it being locked at all. Fraud concerns can be dealt with some other way. This is all B.S. nonsense in my opinion.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Most likely they aren't going to block your days but still be careful because I once bought an iPhone 6 Plus factory unlocked and from Apple as well but when I changed my sim from AT&T to T-Mobile, it got locked and when I tried to enter my old sim back it still gave me that error that said, "Sim not Valid". So, just be careful. Hope this helps!
    Be Better Kilts Each Naukry.net Day

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    The phone can be cheaper and you can pay for it monthly instead of upfront. 50 days for unlocked is the same as att and TMobile. Hell Sprint is the cheapest way to get a new phone. TMobile is the most expensive. Also MVNOS don't locked a unlocked phone they are not allowed to do that

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    You certainly didn't bother to read what I wrote.

"I can see from the carrier or a store to get a better price but other than that it seems to make no sense."

You forced me to search for the MVNO situation I described since you said they 'aren't allowed'

There's an 'ownership flag' that is set or can be set by Sprint MVNO's and without that flag being changed the phone is locked to that MVNO. There are threads here that have said the same thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/...pc/tello_lock/

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score

You're taking my post out of context.

I related that there doesn't appear to be any reason to buy a carrier locked phone from Apple. You can just buy the exact same phone from Apple unlocked and move legally at your leisure between carriers.

If one buys an unlocked phone from a manufacturer NO it is not reasonable to be expected to remain with any carrier for any period of time beyond one month unless there is a contract between the user and the service provider and even then that has nothing to do with a fully paid for totally unlocked phone moving to another service - that issue becomes a contract credit issue.

Feedback Score
    You're taking my post out of context.

I related that there doesn't appear to be any reason to buy a carrier locked phone from Apple. You can just buy the exact same phone from Apple unlocked and move legally at your leisure between carriers.

If one buys an unlocked phone from a manufacturer NO it is not reasonable to be expected to remain with any carrier for any period of time beyond one month unless there is a contract between the user and the service provider and even then that has nothing to do with a fully paid for totally unlocked phone moving to another service - that issue becomes a contract credit issue.
    Oh I did not intend to focus that directly on your points or to contradict you outright.

It appears there are two different ways to order a phone from Apple that is unlocked. If you order a Sprint sku from Apple then you are effectively buying a Sprint phone that is subject to Sprint's rules. Apple is acting as Sprint's agent in that case or as a co-seller and probably splits the profits and marketing programs etc for those sku's with Sprint. Or something like that.

So actually I agree with you that "there doesn't appear to be any reason to buy a carrier locked phone from Apple." So people should not buy the Sprint sku from Apple, even unlocked. Buy the sim-free model. Then Sprint will not lock it (it seems).

At least, that's what some have said.

If you want a phone that is not subject to Sprint's rules, do not order the Sprint sku from Apple, even unlocked. Order a "sim-free" version. Of course, then you may not be eligible for certain promotions (which are indirectly sponsored by Sprint).
    Last edited by comintel; 10-03-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Feedback Score
    Oh I did not intend to focus that directly on your points or to contradict you outright. It appears there are two different ways to order a phone from Apple that is unlocked. If you order a Sprint sku from Apple then you are effectively buying a Sprint phone that is subject to Sprint's rules. Apple is acting as Sprint's agent in that case or as a co-seller and probably splits the profits and marketing programs etc for those sku's with Sprint. Or something like that. So actually I agree with you that "there doesn't appear to be any reason to buy a carrier locked phone from Apple." So people should not buy the Sprint sku from Apple, even unlocked. Buy the sim-free model. Then Sprint will not lock it (it seems). At least, that's what some have said. If you want a phone that is not subject to Sprint's rules, do not order the Sprint sku from Apple, even unlocked. Order a "sim-free" version. Of course, then you may not be eligible for certain promotions (which are indirectly sponsored by Sprint).
    have to watch what you get form apple - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-that-was-BYOP the people (post #3) bought the sim free model iphone that was stolen off the porch and the replacement was a different model than originally ordered.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Oh I did not intend to focus that directly on your points or to contradict you outright.

It appears there are two different ways to order a phone from Apple that is unlocked. If you order a Sprint sku from Apple then you are effectively buying a Sprint phone that is subject to Sprint's rules. Apple is acting as Sprint's agent in that case or as a co-seller and probably splits the profits and marketing programs etc for those sku's with Sprint. Or something like that.

So actually I agree with you that "there doesn't appear to be any reason to buy a carrier locked phone from Apple." So people should not buy the Sprint sku from Apple, even unlocked. Buy the sim-free model. Then Sprint will not lock it (it seems).

At least, that's what some have said.

If you want a phone that is not subject to Sprint's rules, do not order the Sprint sku from Apple, even unlocked. Order a "sim-free" version. Of course, then you may not be eligible for certain promotions (which are indirectly sponsored by Sprint).
    Thanks, we're on the same page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2