Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Recurring data charge

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I have two PAYGO lines that I swap duty on periodically, getting calls from my GV number over cellular. The swap is to even out the balances between the two.

On the phone I use (when it's the on-duty device), I see the small data usage deduction every day, since I power it off at night and on the next day. The one that's not on-duty doesn't show any usage.

I don't use data on these two devices otherwise (normally), except for the rare outgoing Google Voice call.

Interestingly, every time the on-duty phone powers up it gets input from Moto Alert, which in this case (being a Motorola device) is the Moto widget going out and grabbing any weather alerts for my location, which are supplied by AccuWeather.com. Mind you, this is with data off! Still, just in that little space of time at start-up when it's using that 2-4 Kb of data is when this appears to be happening. Wi-Fi is off at this time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Interestingly, every time the on-duty phone powers up it gets input from Moto Alert, which in this case (being a Motorola device) is the Moto widget going out and grabbing any weather alerts for my location, which are supplied by AccuWeather.com. Mind you, this is with data off! Still, just in that little space of time at start-up when it's using that 2-4 Kb of data is when this appears to be happening. Wi-Fi is off at this time.

I have 2 Moto E4s. One I call my main is always on/sleep and I still get the 2-3 kb. The other is more a back-up and usually off (shut down) but I use it like you to even out the balances.
    Just got a Moto E6 that's not activated yet nor has a sim. I see a quick notification flash of "Time and Weather running" whenever I bring it out of sleep or power it off/on. I assume that's what you're talking about? If I hit the notification quick it opens a window like an app called Time and Weather" where I can disable or force stop it. But there's no such app on my apps list. So is it part of a Moto app ? Because I can't find it hiding in any of those either and the phone doesn't have the Moto Alerts app.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, that's it. On these Moto G Power 2020s there are two different clock widgets to choose from, by long-pressing a home screen. One's called "Clock" and the other is called "Moto Widget". I always liked the look of the clock on newer Motos I saw advertised. A digital clock surrounded by a circle (I didn't initially know there was a weather component). And there are three types or "looks" of it to choose from. When the Home screen displays and you touch the clock part you get all the clock choices and timers. If you touch the weather part nearer the top it shows its title of "Moto Widget," and you can configure various things about it, like your preferred location and how often to update and all of that. I'm still exploring it to see what all it can do, or maybe to not do. Indeed, it's not an app, per se, and not in the app drawer; just a widget available from the widget screen.

Actually I think there's no separate app called Moto Alerts. There is a "Moto" app on the newer Motos that provides like a system level control of certain user features, and in the context of that it'll show a notification titled "Moto Alert." I don't know how far back in Moto models that feature goes.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power (2020), Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus (Verizon), Tracfone (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Moto E4 -

I noticed the small data usage on boot, as mentioned earlier in this thread, even with Cellular OFF. But, then, I found a solution:

Put the phone in Airplane Mode, then activate Wifi.
    No more small data usage on boot.

However, with Airplane Mode OFF, and access to Cellular enabled, the data usage returned.

Repeatable.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Good tip. May come in handy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBard57 View Post
    Moto E4 -

I noticed the small data usage on boot, as mentioned earlier in this thread, even with Cellular OFF. But, then, I found a solution:

Put the phone in Airplane Mode, then activate Wifi.
    No more small data usage on boot.

However, with Airplane Mode OFF, and access to Cellular enabled, the data usage returned.

Repeatable.
    Define Cellular off ? Do you mean data off?

As mentioned, I never have data on.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Airplane mode will turn off all cellular connections (data and voice). You would have to turn Wi-Fi manually to use data.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Define Cellular off ? Do you mean data off?.
    No. I meant "Cellular" (AKA "Mobile Data") OFF, WiFi ON, after turning Airplane Mode ON. Data can still be exchanged via WiFi, without using Cellular Data, if you are within range of WiFi.

Feedback Score
    No. I meant "Cellular" (AKA "Mobile Data") OFF, WiFi ON, after turning Airplane Mode ON. Data can still be exchanged via WiFi, without using Cellular Data, if you are within range of WiFi.
    OK, you were addressing whacker's Moto widget comments. I thought you were referring simply to the 2kb mysterious "mobile data" that pops up in call records with mobile data off and airplane off that the threads about. Just having your phone on and just sitting around or making a call.
    Nothing to do with boot up, or mobile data vs wifi.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I thought you were referring simply to the 2kb mysterious "mobile data" that pops up in call records with mobile data off and airplane off
    That is exactly what I was addressing ... and repeated.
    Could I have expressed it in a more easily understood fashion for you?
    I will try again:

I have been successful in preventing the 2KB data usage by:
    1. Turning ON Airplane Mode, and assuring both WiFi and Mobile Data are turned OFF.
    2. Turning ON Wifi (if in range of a Wifi source)
    3. Booting the phone as usual

Have you tried that suggestion?
    Did it work for you?

Feedback Score
    That is exactly what I was addressing ... and repeated.
    Could I have expressed it in a more easily understood fashion for you?
    As I said I thought you were addressing whacker. Settle down, I understood what you said but for the occasional 2kb I'm talking about it's not worth even trying. You even said "with Airplane Mode OFF, and access to Cellular (aka Mobile Data) ENABLED, the data usage returned", And as I said with Airplane Mode OFF and Mobile Data "DISABLED", the data usage is still there. Have a nice day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2