Thread: Recurring data charge

Feedback Score

Recurring data charge

Has anyone else noticed that once a week, like every 7 days, like clock work, your account record shows 2kb data use. On PayGo. Not enough to have a $ charge for but it shows in your account call record. Even if you haven't used the phone. Wonder what that's all about ?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I can't say for certain, but I suspect you have some type of application running in the background. Likely that your phone is searching for either system or application updates.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    I can't say for certain, but I suspect you have some type of application running in the background. Likely that your phone is searching for either system or application updates.
    I don't have data on. Which I know doesn't matter sometime like for MMS. But this is not only on my Moto E4 but also on an Alcatel MyFlip which doesn't even have apps. And like I mentioned, it's exactly every 7 days.
    One of the phones has a SIM out of a Tracfone branded phone (the MyFlip), the E4 has a Tracfone BYOP SIM.
    I noticed that my other E4 which has a SIM I sourced right from PP doesn't show that data activity. But that SIM from PP is a Tracfone SIM.

The SIMs in the phones where I see the activity were swapped between each other in the past. I wonder if the PP system continues to reach out to check the IMEI/SIM pairing the way PP told be their system does to update the pairing when you do SIM swaps. Don't know why it would continue to do so though. I can't tell if the data activity only started since I did the swap since their call records don't go back that far.
    I never did any SIM swaps on the E4 that doesn't show that once a week activity

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If you haven't already checked, try turning system updates off in the settings menu.

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have an iPhone 6s on a PAYG plan that I use as my "home" phone. I have all incoming text messages blocked via PP customer service. I keep data on officially as far as PP is concerned, but I keep all LTE data off on the phone itself via settings, relying only on wifi. It functions pretty well as a home phone/answering machine with PP basic voicemail. VVM is not active, and neither is VoLTE.

I have the exact data usage that you're talking about, but I never get charged for it. My balance remains the same week after week, month after month. I suspect this 2kb usage happens every time I turn the phone on. It's probably searching for the network and/or sending some information to the network simply checking in so the network knows the phone is active. Perhaps this transmission could be done via wifi, but usually, upon turning the phone on, it connects to the cellular network before it finds my wifi network, so this quick data transmission happens before it's on wifi, resulting in a log of 2kb of free data usage.

Feedback Score
    If you haven't already checked, try turning system updates off in the settings menu.
    Thanks but that's not the issue. As mentioned, this is also on the basic MyFlip, which has no such things. I'm very data conscious since I'm on PayGo and having any data settings to that end.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    I suspect this 2kb usage happens every time I turn the phone on. It's probably searching for the network and/or sending some information to the network simply checking in so the network knows the phone is active.
    I never turn the phones off and on. They're always on. And the data shows even if the phone is sitting idle for a couple weeks.

I don't get a $ charge. The data is insignificant and at 2kb a week even in a year I wouldn't have a $ charge.
    When I say once a week I mean once a week. If you had a calendar, every 7th day would be circled. It's not showing up randomly here and there. It's not related to VoLTE calls which also get a insignificant data hit in addition to minutes on PayGO. It's not in conjunction with any MMS texts. It likely is the PP system doing a weekly reach out for some reason. What would be the reason?
    And like I said before, doesn't happen on one of my phones.

Doesn't anybody that has a 4G/LTE phone on PayGo see the "exact" same thing ???
    Or even if on a monthly plan can you see your data bucket and the daily charges to check ?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Just checked my seldom used house phone that's on pay-go. No data charges as far back as they let me see. Old Motorola Droid X (3G).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aKansasKid View Post
    Just checked my seldom used house phone that's on pay-go. No data charges as far back as they let me see. Old Motorola Droid X (3G).
    Thanks. I don't think it would be on a 3G. My older 3G doesn't show it. No SIM.
    The phones that show it are both 4G/LTE with VoLTE.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Thanks but that's not the issue. As mentioned, this is also on the basic MyFlip, which has no such things.
    The reason I mentioned that was that the phone could be checking for system or security updates. Even the very basic flip phone can receive that over the air. Such updates are downloaded at no charge. Just offering a possible explanation.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    I have 2 VoLTE phones on PagePlus which are left turned-off. I found usages of 2k and 3k which apparently match up with days I just turned the phones on to update apps (over WiFi), and turned them back off. Maybe if I left them on, it would show up every week, but I don't plan to test that.

Feedback Score
    The reason I mentioned that was that the phone could be checking for system or security updates. Even the very basic flip phone can receive that over the air. Such updates are downloaded at no charge. Just offering a possible explanation.
    Thanks I appreciate any input to explain the mystery. Could be the phone checking like you mention. But my 3rd phone doesn't show it.
    Same settings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    I have 2 VoLTE phones on PagePlus which are left turned-off. I found usages of 2k and 3k which apparently match up with days I just turned the phones on to update apps (over WiFi), and turned them back off. Maybe if I left them on, it would show up every week, but I don't plan to test that.
    Thanks. I tried to match mine with any other activity but nothing done on the days. Appreciate your input.