Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Verizon or Cricket?

Feedback Score

Verizon or Cricket?

I live in a tree heavy area Verizon prepaid is what I am on now and it gets around 110 - 124dbm and last time I checked in April cricket had gotten 117 - 130dbm.. will the difference between the two be very minimal if I switch to cricket? Like will calls drop more often based on what I said about the signal? Verizon is so slow out here which is making me look into switching data speed of the LTE is 0.10 and upload of 0.01.

Feedback Score
    test cricket for a week or so just to see how the service is gonna work inside houses & buildings and such to see if you get a lot of dropped calls been quite a few complaints with calls failing & signal issues

Feedback Score
    Yes, I would test At&t first. At around $11.00, H2o and Freeup would probably be your cheapest options. Also, make sure to investigate At&t Prepaid's current offerings (25gb Wally plan and 8gb Annual 360 plan).

Device(s)
    All of them
    Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Furryfan93 View Post
    I live in a tree heavy area Verizon prepaid is what I am on now and it gets around 110 - 124dbm and last time I checked in April cricket had gotten 117 - 130dbm.. will the difference between the two be very minimal if I switch to cricket? Like will calls drop more often based on what I said about the signal? Verizon is so slow out here which is making me look into switching data speed of the LTE is 0.10 and upload of 0.01.
    Consider boom blue, it’s on att unrestricted network

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome rate plans @ www.boom.us
    To request support please visit support.boom.us and open a ticket.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Does Tmobile have band 71 where you are (wherever that is)? 600mhz will travel a little better with less interference than Verizon and ATT's 700mhz.

Does your phone have all the bands on it? Probably does but that's one thing to check on to make sure your maxing out whats available.

Feedback Score
    I got their test-drive hotspot and it always says no signal for miles out here so TMobile isn't a choice unfortunately.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesB View Post

CharlesB - Does unrestricted mean: Postpaid data speed , voice & data roaming on ATT Postpaid network ?

Device(s)
    All of them
    Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    CharlesB - Does unrestricted mean: Postpaid data speed , voice & data roaming on ATT Postpaid network ?
    Yessir :-) along with the same prioritization as At&T retail customers

Feedback Score
    So overall guys.. Based on the dBm out here between the two networks.. Will the difference be minimal to the point equal number of dropped calls i see now will be about the same there?

Feedback Score
    I'm going to assume that with those numbers you're on VoLTE (?) What phone do you have ? Do you have the higher Verizon band 13 ?

I live in a similar area. On Verizon I'm at 105-115 inside depending on where in the house. A little better outside. My phone will have a slight dead air as it jumps between bands 2, 4 and 13, but no dropped calls. I think going to 117-130 on Cricket would cause more issues then you may have on Verizon.

I've been wanting to try ATT but can't find anything showing they have a tower anywhere near me and carrier coverage maps are way not accurate in rural areas.

Device(s)
    All of them
    Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I'm going to assume that with those numbers you're on VoLTE (?) What phone do you have ? Do you have the higher Verizon band 13 ?

I live in a similar area. On Verizon I'm at 105-115 inside depending on where in the house. A little better outside. My phone will have a slight dead air as it jumps between bands 2, 4 and 13, but no dropped calls. I think going to 117-130 on Cricket would cause more issues then you may have on Verizon.

I've been wanting to try ATT but can't find anything showing they have a tower anywhere near me and carrier coverage maps are way not accurate in rural areas.
    See if the coverage here shows your home

https://www.boom.us/networks?network=boom_blue

Feedback Score
    Like I said. Those maps are way not accurate in out west rural areas. The only way I'd feel assured is knowing where a tower is. Verizon's map shows the same coverage. Solid color for miles farther out then me and I know for a fact....no reliable coverage. Does Boom, or any carrier for that matter, have a money back guarantee ?

Feedback Score
    I live in rural south Carolina here and those maps aren't accurate either. I have a Moto g6 play as my phone though.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesB View Post

Based on the OP's post his issue is signal strength. Does Boom have better signal strength from the same tower as AT&T's own MVNO Cricket?

Feedback Score
    I live in rural south Carolina here and those maps aren't accurate either. I have a Moto g6 play as my phone though.
    Can't get any better then the g6. I have an E4. Poor signal strength is the price we pay for a rural lifestyle. If the BOOM guy seems to think the maps are accurate, why won't the FEDS even rely on network coverage maps to disburse ear marked funds to networks for infrastructure expansion in rural areas that need better coverage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast