Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Tello - Credit Expiration

Feedback Score

Question Tello - Credit Expiration

Saw this in the tello help pages:

Does my Pay As You Go credit expire?
    If no order was placed in a period of 3 months, Pay As You Go credit will expire and the Tello service will be disconnected. This policy is in effect since September 1st, 2017.

Seems for many ppl this is not enforced. But will they enforce soon?

This combined with the min $20 top up makes it $6.66 per month.

Feedback Score
    It used to be you needed to use your credit once every 6 months, then they changed it to once every 3 months, or they say it will expire and be lost. But it's super easy to use it. Just send your Tello number a text and it will be charged a penny. Do this every two months and you'll be fine. It will cost 6 cents a year, and your credit will not expire. I've had a paygo credit for a year or two and don't use it regularly or very much, but I do make sure I send a text if I haven't done anything for the previous three months.

Feedback Score
    >then they changed it to once every 3 months, or they say it will expire and be lost. But it's super easy to use it.

Read again. The terms now say "if no order was placed in...3 months", not "if no activity in 3 months".

It looks like Tello has removed the one feature that many of the folks are using it for, a cheap, almost-no-expire PAYGO provider. It's highly likely that Tello is losing money on those accts, hence the change.

Yeah, if/when Tello enforces that, my spare line will be gone.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Why don't they just say it expires in 90 days instead of playing this word game. Looks like they are trying to catch people off guard and zero out their balances.
    Need a Tello referral? Get $10 when you sign up. https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3RNHB4D

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >then they changed it to once every 3 months, or they say it will expire and be lost. But it's super easy to use it.

Read again. The terms now say "if no order was placed in...3 months", not "if no activity in 3 months".

It looks like Tello has removed the one feature that many of the folks are using it for, a cheap, almost-no-expire PAYGO provider. It's highly likely that Tello is losing money on those accts, hence the change.

Yeah, if/when Tello enforces that, my spare line will be gone.
    Good catch on "order" vs "activity", but it doesn't really make any sense to me. Are they saying you have to buy another $20 credit every three months to not lose your existing credit? If you still have $19, why would you buy another $20. Or are they saying you have to order more phone plans with it every 3 months? Again, that doesn't make sense. The paygo credit is to pay for data, voice, or text usage, not to order phone plans. WHAT ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO "ORDER" EVERY 3 MONTHS???
    Maybe you are right, but if so, it should just say whatever you don't use will be lost after 3 months, since who would buy another $20 every three months when you don't need it.
    I think it still means "usage" and not "place an order", and that has been my experience, but I will agree this is an important point if it means you have to place an order every three months and they start enforcing it. If so, I think they will need to warn people that essentially the $20 is only good for 3 months unless you keep giving them $20 every three months.

UPDATE: I read the terms and I was wrong. They clearly say that your credit is essentially only good for 3 months unless you place a new order. They also say this policy is effective since September 1, 2017, so I wonder if they can enforce it on those of us that bought a paygo credit before then? Maybe we are essentially grandfathered in, since I don't know if they can change the terms of a purchase after it has been made. Maybe it only applies to new orders, though I haven't heard of anyone losing their credit because of this. Interesting post!
    Last edited by dudest; 09-14-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Feedback Score
    I would suggest someone ask them what their current actual policy is.

Feedback Score
    >They also say this policy is effective since September 1, 2017

Pretty sure that's bogus. IIRC the 6- to 3-month "no activity" change happened last year (2018), and all of us had a good look at the TOS at that point. This "order placed within 3 months" bit wasn't there. I think they just backdated the change to make it look more legit, if and when they enforce it.

>so I wonder if they can enforce it on those of us that bought a paygo credit before then? Maybe we are essentially grandfathered in

There would be a LOT of hue and cry if Tello starts to axe PAYGO accts. It'll be most of them, as my SWAG is that PAYGO folks aren't coughing up every 3 months.

>I would suggest someone ask them what their current actual policy is.

It's a good idea. I think most folks go by the "let sleeping dogs lie" policy. As long as Tello plays nice, then why rock the boat? My acct was a freebie from the R+ promo, so I don't care if it's gone. I miss my FP acct with the unlim premium voice a lot more. Oh well. Nothing free lasts.

Speaking of free, my Sprint freebie has until Jan and it'll go poof as well. Good bye free home Internet. I got nastygram letter from Sprint couple of months back, saying "U HAVE VIOLATED THE TOS! IF U DONT GO ON A DIET WE WILL KICK YOUR @SS!" That was surprising cause my usage had actually gone down. Not too much torrenting anymore. Turns out that it was my sister (she's on my acct). Looked up her usage and she sucked up over a TB every month! By herself! Holy crapoly! I didn't know that was even possible! Anyway, told her to quit sucking so hard and it's all good now.

So yeah I love Sprint and I hope it lasts forever. It won't of course.

But back to Tello, its changed TOS should give pause to folks who ported in their valued number into PAYGO, as well as folks who recommend Tello as a no-expire PAYGO provider. This last is no longer true.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    I would suggest someone ask them what their current actual policy is.
    Done.

Received the same answer as was quoted by thriftybill from the help pages. Thank you, Bill.

Since ninety days were up on one of my two accounts, and the number was a keeper, already ported the DID to Ting's FP offering (still had some Ting credit left).

Hopefully, in the next thirty days someone on this Forum will find a new provider for long term DID parking on the cheap -- won't hold my breath, though.
    A genius is one who shoots at something no one else can see, and hits it (author unknown).

--
    Liborio

Feedback Score
    e.mote, how did the Sprint-as-free-home-internet go in general? I tried it but a gamer in the household complained about lag...

Device(s)
    Pixel3XL, Pixel3, s9+, Axon 10P, Titan, Atom, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, TMO, RP/vzw/att/tmo, Tello, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    The PayGo balance is subject to taxes and fees so it will be more than $7 a month. If you subscribe to the cheapest data plan (500MB) it's $5 with no tax or fees, so that would be the cheapest way to keep things going now (which ought to keep the PayGo balance as well).

If this change is now being enforced we ought to see many angry customers show up in the news.
    --
    CellGuru

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Liborio View Post
    Done.

Received the same answer as was quoted by thriftybill from the help pages. Thank you, Bill.

Since ninety days were up on one of my two accounts, and the number was a keeper, already ported the DID to Ting's FP offering (still had some Ting credit left).

Hopefully, in the next thirty days someone on this Forum will find a new provider for long term DID parking on the cheap -- won't hold my breath, though.
    Thanks for that!

It seems they are not enforcing it though for now, so I also may "let sleeping dogs lie."
    Last edited by comintel; 09-16-2019 at 04:56 AM.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    You'd think since almost no one is even doing PayGo anymore they'd be better off charging a fee for a month 50 cents or $1 and let people keep their paygo balance or let it be used up by the fee.

Speedtalk is the only Tmo prepaid I know of that does PayGo a year is $100 2 cents for a minute, a text or a mb but you lose that at the end of the year I believe. I don't know if it rolls over.

I can't see it in this thread but Sprint is charging Tello some fee for the number right? I mean there is some cost associated with the number just existing I imagine. The other side of the coin is maybe Tello knows their Sprint contract won't exist as is much longer and what they've seen of their new Tmo probable contract tells them paygo with no time limit isn't possible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    You'd think since almost no one is even doing PayGo anymore they'd be better off charging a fee for a month 50 cents or $1 and let people keep their paygo balance or let it be used up by the fee.

Speedtalk is the only Tmo prepaid I know of that does PayGo a year is $100 2 cents for a minute, a text or a mb but you lose that at the end of the year I believe. I don't know if it rolls over.

I can't see it in this thread but Sprint is charging Tello some fee for the number right? I mean there is some cost associated with the number just existing I imagine. The other side of the coin is maybe Tello knows their Sprint contract won't exist as is much longer and what they've seen of their new Tmo probable contract tells them paygo with no time limit isn't possible.
    Agreed - I think that this that this is really the major factor that would lead Tello to enforce this.

Probably they pay the carrier $1 to $3 a month per line per month (old values used to be $3 but I can imagine deals and incentives etc).

On the other hand, these lines do help them meet subscriber quotas in their contracts. And they help Sprint have a higher count of wholesale lines, which is a statistic for analysts rating its stock. If Sprint merges, they will not care as much and so will probably drop incentives to mvno's to have many cheap lines.

So it is all going to turn on changes anticipated with the merger. They will have to make changes in a heartbeat if their line costs double or triple.

In the other hand, if Dish enters the prepaid market, or the merger falls through, prepaid and paygo rates could stay low.
    Last edited by comintel; 09-15-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Feedback Score
    Here is proof of the provision that (as people mentioned in this thread) has ACTUALLY been in effect until now (time-stamped as of 2019-07-02 by the Web Archive). Hmm. There is an apparent discrepancy here in Tello's statements as to what policies were in effect when.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190702221241/tello.com/terms

Pay As You Go Service Agreement

Pay As You Go credit is available for a period of 3 months since customer's last order or call, text or data session, effective September 1, 2017. If none of the actions mentioned above was carried out in a period of 3 months, SIM and Pay As You Go credit will not be available for calls.

------------------------------
    (credit posters on reddit).
    Last edited by comintel; 09-16-2019 at 05:00 AM.

Feedback Score

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Thanks for that!

It seems they are not enforcing it though for now, so I also may let sleeping dogs lie as e.mote mentioned as one approach.
    You're welcome.

Since I was (and still am) safekeeping the number I ported-out of Tello yesterday for a friend, I
    couldn't "let sleeping dogs lie" and risk losing the friend's number as well as disappointing her.

Losing the number in my other Tello account would not be a tragedy. Hence, I'll take my chances
    in the hope (and expectation?) that Tello will continue to be an honorable provider and give advance
    notice of impeding Pay-Go funds expiration and subsequent account cancellation.

To repeat my favorite poem about hope:

Hope springs eternal in the human breast:
    Man never is, but always to be blest:
    The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
    Rests and expatiates in a life to come.
    (From An Essay on Man by Alexander Pope)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast