Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Tello - Credit Expiration

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Please verify this for yourself, but I've read on other forums that Tello CSRs are telling people that a paygo balance can NOT be used to pay for a monthly plan.

Good luck, and please let us know if you find out something different.
    Timswim said buy a $5 a month plan AND use the deposit balance to pay for data above the plan allowance. IIRC that is allowed. The $5 a month plan has 500 MB and no voice minutes.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Timswim said buy a $5 a month plan AND use the deposit balance to pay for data above the plan allowance. IIRC that is allowed. The $5 a month plan has 500 MB and no voice minutes.
    You're right! Timswim's plan should hopefully work, but we'll only know for sure after somebody tries it or verifies it with Tello.

Feedback Score
    >My question is will having a monthly plan prevent the PayGo balance from expiring

By the letter and spirit of the new rule, yes. "If no order was placed in a period of 3 months" doesn't specify it needs to be PAYGO. And Tello should be happy that it's getting money per month, regardless of where it comes from.

In reality, nobodys knows except Tello, and Tello probably doesn't know itself. As another pointed out, there are lots of issues with this change, and right now there are no answers.

If you (or anybody) want to get the lowdown, you need to talk to Tello--not just with the frontline grunts or the reddit rep, who'll just parrot the rule at you, but a manager or supervisor who can explain the whys and hows and wherefors. What prompted the change? Will users get notification before their number is killed? How much grace time do they get to port out?

All these and more are important questions. If your number is important to you, get answers or port out.

For the lazy folks, myself included, no need to get answers from Tello to decide. Regardless of the details, Tello is making PAYGO a lot more expensive. This much is certain. If you have a small balance, eat it and port out. If a sizeable balance, take the CSRs' answer that the rule won't be enforced (any time soon) and draw down your balance. The risk is small that enforcement is in the immediate 3 months AND they won't notify you. Don't put any money in. Once the balance is nearly empty, port out. My SWAG is that 6 months is safe.

Anyway, my question is why the heck would you want to do the above, paying $5+/mo incl tax just to keep your PAYGO alive? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of PAYGO? There are cheaper AND better options.

Feedback Score
    If all this Tello **** comes to pass & is implemented.

Where to go with Sprint ONLY flip phones for cheap emergency/glove box purposes?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    He will have unlimited 2G after he goes beyond the 500 MB LTE. The PayGo Bal will be used up by calls and texts.

Not sure how it would work if he wants to still have LTE and charge those excess data LTE to his PayGo. That’s an interesting issue - How can u switch to paying per MB for LTE when u have a data plan that states u will get unlimited 2G after?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    He will have unlimited 2G after he goes beyond the 500 MB LTE. The PayGo Bal will be used up by calls and texts.

Not sure how it would work if he wants to still have LTE and charge those excess data LTE to his PayGo. That’s an interesting issue - How can u switch to paying per MB for LTE when u have a data plan that states u will get unlimited 2G after?
    There is a switch when you log in online to either use paygo balance or not for LTE data.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm torn between moving one line over to a $6/mo plan and cancelling the others, or just saying goodbye altogether because I feel like they did their long time customers dirty. I preferred Tello because well, it's not anything TracFone/America Movil. The only good thing about TracFone is they keep things consistent (especially poor customer service) but their terms have stayed pretty much the same since I started with them in the late 90's - and they've kept up with the times as far as data and text goes for PAYG.

First world problems I know. But hopefully we'll all find a good alternative. I know we're not big money makers for them but I'd be cool with a $10 every 90 day type of thing, $3.33/mo for them and I can just keep my lines open.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone XR
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 6s [AT&T] & iPhone 8 [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Still got the $10 ringplus credits on my tello lines ($9.xx). Will ride it out til the end. The phones - 2 flips - go mostly unused. More of a backup in case att wireless or the internet go down. It's been what, 2 years or more since ring plus bit the dust. So, easy come easy go.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I have been using a flip phone on Tello, but not so much since FreeUp came along. I think I'll move a smartphone from Red Pocket (formerly on Freedompop Sprint) to the Tello account and just use up my balance with PayGo data until it runs low and/or Tello cuts me off. I have no desire to pay a monthly fee to Tello or Red Pocket, either one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    I'm torn between moving one line over to a $6/mo plan and cancelling the others, or just saying goodbye altogether because I feel like they did their long time customers dirty. I preferred Tello because well, it's not anything TracFone/America Movil. The only good thing about TracFone is they keep things consistent (especially poor customer service) but their terms have stayed pretty much the same since I started with them in the late 90's - and they've kept up with the times as far as data and text goes for PAYG.

First world problems I know. But hopefully we'll all find a good alternative. I know we're not big money makers for them but I'd be cool with a $10 every 90 day type of thing, $3.33/mo for them and I can just keep my lines open.
    Well you can do $10 every 90 days by using auto-top-up with the refill amount set to $10. I just did that, starting from an over one-year old zero account balance, a little while ago. I turned on auto top-up, made a call, and it debited $10 a couple of minutes later. (Then I turned it back off for now). My current balance is $9.97.

Of course they could increase the minimum auto top-up (they could do anything for that matter) but I would not automatically assume that they will. I think they may be perfectly satisfied with $10 every 3 months from those users who use auto top-up (most of whom will probably leave it on and may go though multiple top-ups every 3 months).
    Last edited by comintel; 09-21-2019 at 06:45 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Well you can do $10 every 90 days by using auto-top-up with the refill amount set to $10. I just did that, starting from an over one-year old zero account balance, a little while ago. I turned on auto top-up, made a call, and it debited $10 a couple of minutes later. (Then I turned it back off for now). My current balance is $9.97.

Of course they could increase the minimum auto top-up (they could do anything for that matter) but I would not automatically assume that they will. I think they may be perfectly satisfied with $10 every 3 months from those users who use auto top-up (most of whom will probably leave it on and may go though multiple top-ups every 3 months).
    Will they automatically bill $10 every 3 months, though?

I was under the impression that the auto top-up doesn't trigger until the balance is used up.

In which case if someone has minimal usage after 90 days, the account will just get closed rather than getting topped up, and RIP the credit balance and phone nmber.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    Will they automatically bill $10 every 3 months, though?

I was under the impression that the auto top-up doesn't trigger until the balance is used up.

In which case if someone has minimal usage after 90 days, the account will just get closed rather than getting topped up, and RIP the credit balance and phone number.
    That's a good point.

But you can always run down the balance below $2 near the end of every 90 days if need be to trigger a top-up, so light usage need not be an obstacle.
    Last edited by comintel; 09-22-2019 at 02:56 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    That's a good point.

But you can always run down the balance below $2 near the end of every 90 days if need be to trigger a top-up, so light usage need not be an obstacle.
    With all due respect, that's an insane way to try to save a couple of bucks.

The last (and only) pre-9/10 top-up for my one remaining Tello line expires in early December. By the end of November, I'll have moved the line elsewhere, probably away from Sprint (it's on an old $20.00 FP phone, hence, no big loss).
    A genius is one who shoots at something no one else can see, and hits it (author unknown).

--
    Liborio

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Liborio View Post
    With all due respect, that's an insane way to try to save a couple of bucks.

The last (and only) pre-9/10 top-up for my one remaining Tello line expires in early December. By the end of November, I'll have moved the line elsewhere, probably away from Sprint (it's on an old $20.00 FP phone, hence, no big loss).
    Well we don't even know there's a problem with using $10 automated top-ups in the first place. Maybe they will automatically debit the $10 every 90 days when needed where the balance would otherwise expire and go to zero. That is just as plausible an interpretation as his. I was just responding to his (overly?) literal interpretation of wording that was obviously not intended to cover this situation.

People need to ask them and post the full response. "Will accounts with $10 auto top-up enabled be automatically topped up by $10 every 90 days where necessary to satisfy the 90 day requirement?"

I was just pointing out that his interpretation must be wrong because it would lead to the irrational result that I mentioned that would just cost Tello more. So we can be sure that his interpretation will NOT be what will happen.

Either they will accept $10 automated top-up every 90 says as sufficient, and ensure that the system process is in place to make that happen when needed, or they will increase the minimum automated top-up amount from $10 to a higher amount. Hopefully they will choose the former.
    Last edited by comintel; 09-22-2019 at 06:11 AM.

Feedback Score
    Hello, comintel.

I'm afraid that you are in that famous river in Egypt.

Wishful thinking is just that and doesn't accomplish anything (except, maybe, it
    makes the thinker feel better).

Unless a Tello subscriber wants to go on a Tello monthly plan (or pay Tello $80.00
    each year for PayGo), the subscriber's time would be better spent on coming-up
    with an exit plan and just remembering Tello for the "good times."

I found AirVoice, an AT&T reseller. Although everything costs ten cents +$1.00
    monthly tribute, $10.00 will buy you ninety days.

To park a phone, AV seems O.K.

The other possibility for parking without cellular is VoIP.

For example:

NumberBarn is $2.00 monthly for parking only with a $5.00 porting-in fee
    and free unlimited texting.

VoIP.ms is $0.85 monthly with no porting-in fee and free unlimited texting.

Anveo is $0.50 monthly with a $15.00 porting-in fee and a penny a text.

There are many others.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast