Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Tello - Credit Expiration

Feedback Score
    >It would be a good time for people to chime in with the 'next best' alternatives.

Re: Number parking - GV at $20 is a bargain since no rubbernecking for another cheap provider when yours die. Cheaper in the long run vs per-month providers.

http://google.com/search?&q=phone+nu...arking+service

http://unitelvoice.com/phone-number-parking
    $1.99/(multiple numbers)/mo or $0.49/number/mo.

Re: PAYGO - For minimum monthly spend, TracFone $50 1200/1200/3GB yearly ($4.2/mo), or Red Pocket $3 200/500/200 monthly for FreedomPop.

>I've always thought that on month to month service, the company can change the terms for future months that have not been paid yet, but not the month that was already paid.

As long as it's a reasonable company, which Tello reportedly is, you can likely get a refund for the balance if you ask nicely. The terms say no refund for PAYGO, but you can cite the changed terms as justification.

It cuts both ways. Tello cut its PAYGO rates, and nobody minded that change.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus, Tello, T-Mobile, TRU SIM, Black Wrls
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    ... I'll probably transfer these backup phones to h2o if need be, $3/mo with auto refill. Tello's customer service isn't that great but I've had TracFone since the analog days which sets the benchmark for horrible customer service. Thankfully, it's been my faithful backup on Verizon for most of that time ...
    I've had several Page Plus PAYGO lines for years, at $10/120 days. $2.50/mo. for Verizon service, albeit with inconsistent customer support, is a good value for backup phones. I don't hear good things about Page Plus's auto-pay system, though, so I've continued to buy and load PINs or use real-time refills.

Thanks to all for the Tello research...I've happily been using a monthly plan and PAYGO, but $80/yr. to maintain PAYGO would be no bargain at all!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockchuck View Post
    I've had several Page Plus PAYGO lines for years, at $10/120 days. $2.50/mo. for Verizon service, albeit with inconsistent customer support, is a good value for backup phones. I don't hear good things about Page Plus's auto-pay system, though, so I've continued to buy and load PINs or use real-time refills.

Thanks to all for the Tello research...I've happily been using a monthly plan and PAYGO, but $80/yr. to maintain PAYGO would be no bargain at all!
    Pageplus's Paygo does look pretty good these days. I used H2o for a long time because of the 90 days with rollover but PP gives you 120 days with rollover. Right now things are going just fine with my free 1000 minute Freeup plan but I don't expect it to last more then a year.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    Is this a new addition to the TOS?

Pay As You Go credit is available for a period of 3 months since customer's last order. If no order was placed in a period of 3 months, Pay As You Go credit will expire and the Tello service will be disconnected. This policy is effective since September 10, 2019.

I never looked at the TOS before today.

Regardless, when the time comes I'll change my wife's business number to the $5/mo monthly plan since her phone is a locked, Sprint-branded Samsung Galaxy SPH-D700 which has no SIM card. She doesn't get a lot of calls on that number, but enough that it's worth five bucks a month.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Pageplus's Paygo does look pretty good these days. I used H2o for a long time because of the 90 days with rollover but PP gives you 120 days with rollover. Right now things are going just fine with my free 1000 minute Freeup plan but I don't expect it to last more then a year.
    That's not bad! Any idea if it's hard to activate on BYOD? I'm considering it for my Unihertz Atom which is technically Verizon compatible but not carrier branded.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post

Pay As You Go credit is available for a period of 3 months since customer's last order. If no order was placed in a period of 3 months, Pay As You Go credit will expire and the Tello service will be disconnected. This policy is effective since September 10, 2019.

. . .
    Yes, apparently someone at Tello read this thread or the Reddit thread and changed
    the effective date to last week.

Regrettably, whether the old date was not changed until last night or this morning
    inadvertently, the damage is done and Tello's reputation as a customer friendly
    company has been tarnished.

The fact that the effective date has been brought forward doesn't necessarily
    mean that any PayGo purchase prior to September 10th is "grandfathered".

The fact that the effective date was brought forward probably means that Tello is
    serious about enforcing its new three month no purchase you're history policy.

We'll see.
    A genius is one who shoots at something no one else can see, and hits it (author unknown).

--
    Liborio

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    That's not bad! . .
    Except PagePlus is a Tracfone company with all that that entails.

Having lost most of my substantial TF balances as reported here:
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...o-Rico-numbers
    I would never do business with TF or any of its affiliated companies.

Of course, what anyone else does is her or his business.

Feedback Score

Tello - Credit Expiration

Tello says one thing in their TOS and then another when directly asked.

Even if an endless number of CS reps tell you that service usage (not orders) is enough to keep the account active, it means nothing when their TOS says otherwise.

How many people are just going to ask for a balance refund and then cancel their account?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Liborio View Post
    Except PagePlus is a Tracfone company with all that that entails.

Having lost most of my substantial TF balances as reported here:
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...o-Rico-numbers
    I would never do business with TF or any of its affiliated companies.

Of course, what anyone else does is her or his business.
    Exactly. There's nothing wrong with dealing with TF CS until you have to deal with TF CS.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post

Regardless, when the time comes I'll change my wife's business number to the $5/mo monthly plan since her phone is a locked, Sprint-branded Samsung Galaxy SPH-D700 which has no SIM card. She doesn't get a lot of calls on that number, but enough that it's worth five bucks a month.
    Yep. That was just recently updated. Looks like it will become a reality soon. Of course this happens right after I buy an almost new Sprint SE! I’ll prob transfer to a monthly plan for this one line (service is good at my office, better than T-Mobile) and cancel the other lines once they “expire” under the new terms.

My aunt uses maybe 10-20 min a year on this emergency phone, so as long as she doesn’t lose her main phone for a long period of time.. h2o with auto pay at $3/mo will be my go to.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 11 eSIM
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 11 dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Liborio View Post
    Yes, apparently someone at Tello read this thread or the Reddit thread and changed
    the effective date to last week.

Regrettably, whether the old date was not changed until last night or this morning
    inadvertently, the damage is done and Tello's reputation as a customer friendly
    company has been tarnished.

The fact that the effective date has been brought forward doesn't necessarily
    mean that any PayGo purchase prior to September 10th is "grandfathered".

The fact that the effective date was brought forward probably means that Tello is
    serious about enforcing its new three month no purchase you're history policy.

We'll see.
    i think it does mean exactly that. It also means they have poor communications internally to be giving out conflicting policy information over the phone.

Interesting that they back-dated the correction as well, although only by about a week this time rather than over two years. Old habits die hard.

As of Sept 16, 2019, it said it was unchanged since 2017.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20190916...ello.com/terms
    https://web.archive.org/web/20190702221241/tello.com/terms

I wonder if they back-date everything they do. Maybe their corporate records need auditing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >According to 2 conversations with customer service agents at Tello (now posted in the Reddit thread linked above), nothing has changed in the way Tello is currently applying the rule, even if the Terms have changed.

@greenhandle: If you happen to talk to Tello CS again, ask for the reason for the change in terms, along with why the false backdating, and why they don't intend to enforce it.
    I didn't talk to Tello about this-- I reported that others had, and provided a pointer to where those posts could be viewed.

I agree that regardless of what Tello CSR's say, including if what the CSR's said is 100% accurate for today's policy in handling PayGO accounts, the terms of service specify what Tello is allowed to do at any point in the future, at their discretion.

Certainly it's a cause of concern: more so because Tello's descriptions are usually very good.

I doubt that there was any "false backdating" with the change in the terms. It's the date from the previous version, and perhaps just was overlooked. With no more than a few dozen people discussing this across several forums, at least 3-4 people seem to have independently thought of comparing previous versions via the Wayback Machine, and most were aware that it was a change once it was pointed out-- I doubt that Tello is unaware of the existence of the Internet Archives, the practice of taking snapshots, or the attention to detail evidenced by their customers. There is nothing significant to be gained by falsifying the date, unless you believe they're desperate to shed PayGo accounts immediately.

It makes business sense to shed numbers that are simply parked with almost no use-- it's got to be a money loser.

If Tello intends to enforce this strictly as written in the terms (in conjunction with the new $20 minimum PayGo purchase), they've either decided to shed a good percentage of their PayGo accounts, or they haven't thought through the scenarios carefully. It doesn't seem to make sense to me to dump PayGo accounts that average $5 monthly, while encouraging monthly plans at $5.

Other inconsistencies will/would occur. For example, I set up an account recently for an elderly relative with $30 in PayGO funds. It gets used, but it will definitely be more than 3 months before it needs refilled, so it would need a $20 refill purchase at 90 days. If I'd started with only $10,the same $30 might stretch to 270 days. (Currently, it appears $10 auto-topup is still available when the balance falls below $2, but $20 is required if you refill before that $2 trigger is reached.)

If Tello just wants to eliminate number parking, they'd be better off imposing a minimum monthly usage carrying charge rather than enforcing a 3-month purchase. But even with strict interpretation, PayGo will still work for some because of the rollover effect.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I emailed on Fri or Sat and as of this moment, still no reply on my question regarding the refill terms. Interesting.

They’re probably banking enough people will move over to a monthly plan to make up for those who leave. I wish they’d reduce the PAYG refill to $10 per 90 days but that’s okay. Luckily I can keep the IPhone SE I just bought and I have some cheap unlocked phones to use on h2o. I filled my aunt in and she said $3/mo sounds good for her use. I’m a little relieved since she’s older and lives alone - *I* feel comfortable that she has an extra phone juuuust in case.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    This is really, really disappointing.

I ported an occasional use FP Sprint # to Tello for someone due to the prior Tello paygo terms of no expiration with usage, and after RP was unable to port the # directly from FP Sprint, but somehow Tello WAS able to port the # directly from FP Sprint.

Now I wish I had done the port work-around RP offered so I could have gotten the 200/500/200 $2.99/mo plan.

Sigh...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    This is really, really disappointing.

I ported an occasional use FP Sprint # to Tello for someone due to the prior Tello paygo terms of no expiration with usage, and after RP was unable to port the # directly from FP Sprint, but somehow Tello WAS able to port the # directly from FP Sprint.

Now I wish I had done the port work-around RP offered so I could have gotten the 200/500/200 $2.99/mo plan.

Sigh...
    Hi, Boz.

You didn't miss much.

I setup my forgotten FP number with the RP $3.00 deal (its actually $3.01).

Regrettably, texting never worked. After speaking to four different clueless
    Tech. Support persons and been promised by each that it would be taken
    care of within 24 hours, but wasn't after after three days, I ported it out to
    Tello (don't laugh).

I knew what the problem was, but no one at RP had the remotest idea or
    cared to listen to what I explained needed to be done. Very simply, FP texting
    wasn't through Sprint. Sprint needed to reset the number in order for texting
    to work.

Tello's C.S.R.s fought me at first but finally had it reset the day after and its
    been working since.

After the number was ported-out of RP and texting was working, I initiated
    a RP Chat Session to ask for a refund. Comically, the RP agent insisted that
    the problem had been fixed and the phone was working fine. It took me a
    while to convince him that RP no longer had the number. When he finally got
    it, he apologized and said I would receive a refund. I did.

By the way, if you're really serious about going to RP, you can still log in to
    the below URL with your FP (Sprint) credentials and port the number from
    Tello. Good luck.

https://www.redpocket.com/loginfp?re...rl=/activatefp

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast