Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Tello - Credit Expiration

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    I have Tello because is (was?) cheap and uses Sprint. I like having at least one phone with each major network.
    I use my Tello account as backup/emergency and mostly for occasional data, so the new minimum $20 bucks can last 2 or 3 months easily, even more.

I'm hoping that the new wording in the TOS is just a CYA thing is case they decide later to enforce it. If they do, I'll have to reevaluate the cost of having PAYG with them. Not planning to use a monthly plan.

Interestingly, their auto-recharge option for PAYG only includes the $2 low-balance limit to trigg it. No mention of 90-days. So if one has it on, and after 90 days hasn't reached the $2 despite of use, will they disconnect the service anyway? If so, it's quite unfair and misleading for an auto-recharge feature.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Liborio View Post
    Hi, Boz.

You didn't miss much.

I setup my forgotten FP number with the RP $3.00 deal (its actually $3.01).

Regrettably, texting never worked. After speaking to four different clueless
    Tech. Support persons and been promised by each that it would be taken
    care of within 24 hours, but wasn't after after three days, I ported it out to
    Tello (don't laugh).

I knew what the problem was, but no one at RP had the remotest idea or
    cared to listen to what I explained needed to be done. Very simply, FP texting
    wasn't through Sprint. Sprint needed to reset the number in order for texting
    to work.

Tello's C.S.R.s fought me at first but finally had it reset the day after and its
    been working since.

After the number was ported-out of RP and texting was working, I initiated
    a RP Chat Session to ask for a refund. Comically, the RP agent insisted that
    the problem had been fixed and the phone was working fine. It took me a
    while to convince him that RP no longer had the number. When he finally got
    it, he apologized and said I would receive a refund. I did.

By the way, if you're really serious about going to RP, you can still log in to
    the below URL with your FP (Sprint) credentials and port the number from
    Tello. Good luck.

https://www.redpocket.com/loginfp?re...rl=/activatefp
    Thanks. But now the RP 200/500/200 $2.99/mo plan that I originally signed up for has been raised to $3.99/mo! I can't win!

Feedback Score
    If you top up, let’s say with $20, Tello already adds on federal and state taxes and 911 fee to that.

If you use your balance to order a monthly plan ($8/mo), would that be a flat $8/mo because u already paid for the taxes and 911 fee when u bought the top up? Or does Tello charge additional taxes/fees every month that ur plan renews?

Feedback Score

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Thanks. But now the RP 200/500/200 $2.99/mo plan that I originally signed up for has been raised to $3.99/mo! I can't win!
    You may want to give it another try, if interested.

I just logged-in with my FP Sprint credentials, plugged-in information for a
    Sprint phone purchased from FP and the following plans popped-up:

Code:
    Plan 	               Minutes     Text        Data 	
    $3 /30 days            200         500         200 MB LTE Data 	

$9 /30 days            Unlimited   Unlimited   1 GB LTE Data

$40 /30 days           Unlimited   Unlimited   10 GB LTE Data
    A genius is one who shoots at something no one else can see, and hits it (author unknown).

--
    Liborio

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    If you top up, let’s say with $20, Tello already adds on federal and state taxes and 911 fee to that.

If you use your balance to order a monthly plan ($8/mo), would that be a flat $8/mo because u already paid for the taxes and 911 fee when u bought the top up? Or does Tello charge additional taxes/fees every month that ur plan renews?
    It may not work at all-- at least according to a conversation I had with a CSR about 3 weeks ago. (The conversation was prior to the change in the Terms.) I was told PayGo balances are sequestered for PayGo use, and cannot be used to pay for a monthly plan.

My aunt has $25 in PayGo balance. Switching to a monthly $6 plan paid with that balance would be better than losing the line, or having to pay an additional $20 in 80 days. But it's apparently not possible. Asking for a refund of PayGo balance isn't a solution, either-- since that likely closes the line and loses the number.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    yikes at this price i'll just move my sprint line over to red pocket for $50 a year...
    Mourning the loss of my Nextel i325 but still using a bag phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    It may not work at all-- at least according to a conversation I had with a CSR about 3 weeks ago. (The conversation was prior to the change in the Terms.) I was told PayGo balances are sequestered for PayGo use, and cannot be used to pay for a monthly plan.
    Really? I didn’t know that. That’s a terrible system.

I’ve had many prepaid pay as you go accounts with different providers over the past 17 years. It’s always been that if you have a balance, u can use that balance to pay for a plan.

So, Tello really just wants everyone with Pay as you go balance to lose that balance for nothing.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post

My aunt has $25 in PayGo balance. Switching to a monthly $6 plan paid with that balance would be better than losing the line, or having to pay an additional $20 in 80 days. But it's apparently not possible. Asking for a refund of PayGo balance isn't a solution, either-- since that likely closes the line and loses the number.
    That definitely sounds unreasonable - I wonder if the answer provided is correct, if that would hold true if you tried to swap to a monthly plan from their website. I'm starting to dislike Tello but it's the easiest and cheapest way to have a line on the Sprint network. Like others, I just like having a line on each network.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone XR
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 6s [AT&T] & iPhone 8 [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

Feedback Score
    Good day.

Tello's new T.O.S. have been confirmed by Tello's Reddit representative here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tello/comme...lance/f0ri3aq/

Happy Friday.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    That definitely sounds unreasonable - I wonder if the answer provided is correct, if that would hold true if you tried to swap to a monthly plan from their website. I'm starting to dislike Tello but it's the easiest and cheapest way to have a line on the Sprint network. Like others, I just like having a line on each network.
    Greenhandle’s Post is correct. I asked Tello. Two different CS reps gave the same answer.

With Tello, unlike with many other providers here and abroad, you can’t use your top up credit to pay for a plan. You can’t switch to a plan using ur balance. U have to pay ANEW.

Feedback Score
    This sucks. But I'm waiting for the real world cancellation reports from trusted Hofo'ers. From their PayGo accts not ponying up $20 every 3 mos. Because I have 2 of those accts.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Palm Centro Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS (SERO 500)
    Feedback Score
    I've got a Tell account with a $30 Paygo balance and no plan. I'm thinking of switching to a $5 monthly plan and letting the PayGo balance eat up any overages.

My question is will having a monthly plan prevent the PayGo balance from expiring, or does there need to be a PayGo payment to keep the PayGo balance alive?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timswim78 View Post
    I've got a Tell account with a $30 Paygo balance and no plan. I'm thinking of switching to a $5 monthly plan and letting the PayGo balance eat up any overages.

My question is will having a monthly plan prevent the PayGo balance from expiring, or does there need to be a PayGo payment to keep the PayGo balance alive?
    Please verify this for yourself, but I've read on other forums that Tello CSRs are telling people that a paygo balance can NOT be used to pay for a monthly plan.

Good luck, and please let us know if you find out something different.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timswim78 View Post

Based on my email exchanges with Tello:

You can’t use your credit balance to pay for a plan. You can see this for yourself when I try to buy a plan. There’s no option to use your credit.

In other words, the credit you currently have is reserved for PayGo usage.

Purchasing a plan is an “order”. So,
    That would work to keep your PayGo credit active too.

Feedback Score
    Many (most?) people are surprised that existing credits can’t be used to pay for plans. It is really surprising. My experience with US/Canadian and European/Asian prepaid SIM cards is similar - I can use top ups to pay for prepaid plans. This is a new thing for me - a provider that limits your top up to just PayGo usage.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast