Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Making SIM-less Phone Ring For GV/Hangouts Calls?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    67
    Feedback Score
    0

    Making SIM-less Phone Ring For GV/Hangouts Calls?

    I have a lousy cell connection so I would rather answer my GV calls at home with an old Android phone.

    I have this working on another GV number on a different phone for a long time.

    This newer phone works fine for outbound calls on the GV number but I have not figured out how to make it ring/answer on inbound calls yet. I have GV / Hangouts / Hangouts Dialer installed on it same as the one that works.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,566
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    I haven't use the GV app enough to say anything more than it rings on my phone when a call comes into the test # I'm using it with, so I don't know what the problem might be.

    Regarding Hangouts, do you have the app set to ring for incoming calls?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,315
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Betulo View Post
    I have a lousy cell connection so I would rather answer my GV calls at home with an old Android phone.

    I have this working on another GV number on a different phone for a long time.

    This newer phone works fine for outbound calls on the GV number but I have not figured out how to make it ring/answer on inbound calls yet. I have GV / Hangouts / Hangouts Dialer installed on it same as the one that works.
    Are you sure you have Hangouts set to receive incoming calls? The default is to not receive calls.

    Do you have any other phone/VOIP apps on the phone?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    67
    Feedback Score
    0
    Where in hangouts is the setting to make it ring incoming?

    Been trying to find it but it must be hidden somewhere.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,566
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    ...

    Regarding Hangouts, do you have the app set to ring for incoming calls?
    Quote Originally Posted by Betulo View Post
    Where in hangouts is the setting to make it ring incoming?

    Been trying to find it but it must be hidden somewhere.
    It's not really hidden.

    Open the Hangouts app.

    Tap the hamburger menu at the top left.

    Tap settings.

    Select the Google account associated with the GV # you're using.

    Scroll down until you see "Incoming phone calls", and enable it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    67
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for the info. That is what I was looking for and it works well now.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,566
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Betulo View Post
    Thanks for the info. That is what I was looking for and it works well now.
    Great! And thanks for reporting back.

    As for why the GV app won't ring for incoming calls, I still don't know why the GV app on some devices has that problem.

    Thankfully, the Hangouts app is still available and still works very well, just like it always has!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    179
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Great! And thanks for reporting back.

    As for why the GV app won't ring for incoming calls, I still don't know why the GV app on some devices has that problem.

    Thankfully, the Hangouts app is still available and still works very well, just like it always has!
    Will hangouts be around for a while? I keep reading conflicting reports


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,566
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker5011 View Post
    Will hangouts be around for a while? I keep reading conflicting reports
    I don't know for sure what changes are coming to Hangouts, but supposedly the GV # integration will remain in whatever the replacement app turns out to be.

    Details are sketchy, but see https://support.google.com/hangouts/...%2Fras-Y5TGI40 for Google's claim that Hangouts, in the form of Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet, will continue to be supported.

    https://mashable.com/article/google-...tdown-october/ indicates:
    UPDATE: Jan. 23, 2019, 12:16 p.m. CET A Google spokesperson told us the following: "The above dates are specific to G Suite customers and their end users who use classic Hangouts. We will continue to support consumer use of classic Hangouts, and expect to transition consumers to free Chat and Meet following the transition of G Suite customers. A more specific timeline will be communicated at a later date."

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 12:58 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-02-2007, 06:21 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 05:38 PM
  4. Need a regular phone ring for E105
    By Bust in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 10:54 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2003, 04:19 PM

Bookmarks