Thread: How to transfer unlimited DataConnect Pass tablet plan to a new tablet?

Feedback Score

Question How to transfer unlimited DataConnect Pass tablet plan to a new tablet?

My old tablet died, so I want to transfer my DataConnect Pass to the new tablet.

My new tablet has LTE, whereas the old one did not, so I had to get a new SIM. I tried the "edit device" option in my AT&T account (i.e. at buyasession.att.com), but it said I needed to use the "Add a device" option instead, I think because of the 3G->LTE change.

I successfully added the new device, but cannot find any way to transfer the DataConnect pass from the old device to the new one. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

If I need to call AT&T Prepaid customer support on 800-901-9878, please tell me how to get past the automated phone system. It won't even let me talk to a human because it doesn't recognize the subscriber number listed in my AT&T account for either tablet. I'm guessing this automated system is designed for phones only, and can't handle data-only plans.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Just go into an AT&T corporate store, they should be able to do it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    - If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people in the world?

Current Personal Phone: Google Pixel 3a XL (AT&T PrePaid)

Other phones "in the family": Nokia 6.1 (AT&T), Huawei P20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpal View Post
    My old tablet died, so I want to transfer my DataConnect Pass to the new tablet.

My new tablet has LTE, whereas the old one did not, so I had to get a new SIM. I tried the "edit device" option in my AT&T account (i.e. at buyasession.att.com), but it said I needed to use the "Add a device" option instead, I think because of the 3G->LTE change.

I successfully added the new device, but cannot find any way to transfer the DataConnect pass from the old device to the new one. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

If I need to call AT&T Prepaid customer support on 800-901-9878, please tell me how to get past the automated phone system. It won't even let me talk to a human because it doesn't recognize the subscriber number listed in my AT&T account for either tablet. I'm guessing this automated system is designed for phones only, and can't handle data-only plans.
    Try calling the AT&T postpaid customer service @ 800 331 0500 and enter the phone number that is on your sim or account. The system will tell you wait while we connect you to customer care assistant When someone answers tell them your issues and they will help you. I did this to obtain the PUK codes for my sim,

Feedback Score
    Thank you. Calling postpaid support worked.

For the benefit of anyone else in this situation, the eventual solution was to add a new DataConnect pass plan for the new tablet, just as if buying one for the first time, and then the agent cancelled the old one and issued a refund for the unused days on the current pass.

There doesn't seem to be any way for them to transfer a DataConnect pass to a new SIM card. At least, neither the customer service agent or the advanced tech support agent I talked with knew a way to do that.

Feedback Score
    Thank you. Calling postpaid support worked.

For the benefit of anyone else in this situation, the eventual solution was to add a new DataConnect pass plan for the new tablet, just as if buying one for the first time, and then the agent cancelled the old one and issued a refund for the unused days on the current pass.

There doesn't seem to be any way for them to transfer a DataConnect pass to a new SIM card. At least, neither the customer service agent or the advanced tech support agent I talked with knew a way to do that.
    I’m glad you were able to get help on your data pass account situation . Although you had to start over with a new data pass account and they gave you a refund from your previous data pass account the only thing lost was the number assigned to your previous sim Glad it worked out for you

Feedback Score

Some people used to be able to go into an AT&T store and get a better $20 a month postpaid unlimited standalone plan. I don’t know if it is offered anymore. I am on prepaid unlimited as well for my tablet with AT&T since I have yet to find a better deal. I also replaced a tablet on this plan as mine died. I believe I used the same sim card and swapped the appropriate device ID after logging into the website on a WIFI connection, but i am not exactly sure. I did not call in. Previous device also had LTE.