Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: T-Mobile Home Internet

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Nice to know... I can plug an ethernet port into the WAN port on my Netgear and it works just fine... only consumes one IP (as it should), leaving all of the DHCP connections to my home router, and effectively becomes almost a straight swap for a DOCSIS modem.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    So i switched the APN in my att box and it seems to work. I got a little better speed on the att box. I did not test it with streaming because everything else is switched to the tmobile box.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well... I'm done with my tests, and it's time to send it back. It works well enough, however, I need it to work properly with things like Hulu and have the external phone jack working. If I didn't use those services, then id be keeping it.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Well... I'm done with my tests, and it's time to send it back. It works well enough, however, I need it to work properly with things like Hulu and have the external phone jack working. If I didn't use those services, then id be keeping it.

What is wrong with hulu?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
    What is wrong with hulu?
    Hulu on Roku/TV is incompatible with T-Mobile Internet, as it doesn't contain a GPS to identify where your location is. Current Charter connection works fine (IP is geo-tagged). T-Mobile claims that they are aware of this and might include GPS/geo-tag on future hardware. It will work fine with devices such as Android/iOS/computer which use native device GPS.

Device(s)
    Tmobile Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hulu on Roku/TV is incompatible with T-Mobile Internet, as it doesn't contain a GPS to identify where your location is. Current Charter connection works fine (IP is geo-tagged). T-Mobile claims that they are aware of this and might include GPS/geo-tag on future hardware. It will work fine with devices such as Android/iOS/computer which use native device GPS.
    Or if you used Android you could spoof your location. Just what I have to do to run Attv Now on my Shield tv.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    Question does not netflix work on the same principle?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
    Question does not netflix work on the same principle?
    Similar ... but different. Netflix really doesn't care 'where' in the U.S. you are, so much as if you're connected to a U.S. network endpoint.
    Since Hulu does live local streaming channels (others like Sling live TV may have similar issues), there can be issues of displaying an 'out of region' live streaming channel. Eg. A 'local' Santa Barbara, CA channel (local NBC/ABC/CBS/Fox) might not be available in say... Des Moines, IA.
    More importantly for those ESPN types and blackouts. If I'm in L.A. and a local game is blacked out for coverage... I my device would correctly show that I'm in the L.A. area on cable. T-Mobile's endpoint could be somewhere else, and violate many of these TV contracts for transmission. Old school TV rules with newer tech.

Truth is ... this is 1/2 Roku issue, 1/2 technology issue.
    Roku 'could' have their device use GPS and Android/iOS style identifying where it is.
    Conversely.. Roku stick was designed to be portable, and work with endpoint / proxy. T-Mobile has tagged their network to be ... mobile and not fixed (duh), but may want to set up 'home internet' a little differently to work with existing 'home' based apps.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    Does the router have an in-built dynamic DNS updater function ? Or is there a reserved dns name like xxx.mytmobile.com that offers the same functionality ? Mindspring/earthhlink offers that even without static IP.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaar View Post
    Does the router have an in-built dynamic DNS updater function ? Or is there a reserved dns name like xxx.mytmobile.com that offers the same functionality ? Mindspring/earthhlink offers that even without static IP.
    There is no dyn dns, you can set up DMZ, and a few other features.
    A Whois query shows is someone where between Los Angeles and Santa Ana as part of a netblock (TMO-9). My suspicion is that this is setup simply as part of T-Mobile's existing infra, and the only difference would be APN on the device.

Device(s)
    Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    Similar ... but different. Netflix really doesn't care 'where' in the U.S. you are, so much as if you're connected to a U.S. network endpoint.
    Since Hulu does live local streaming channels (others like Sling live TV may have similar issues), there can be issues of displaying an 'out of region' live streaming channel. Eg. A 'local' Santa Barbara, CA channel (local NBC/ABC/CBS/Fox) might not be available in say... Des Moines, IA.
    More importantly for those ESPN types and blackouts. If I'm in L.A. and a local game is blacked out for coverage... I my device would correctly show that I'm in the L.A. area on cable. T-Mobile's endpoint could be somewhere else, and violate many of these TV contracts for transmission. Old school TV rules with newer tech.

Truth is ... this is 1/2 Roku issue, 1/2 technology issue.
    Roku 'could' have their device use GPS and Android/iOS style identifying where it is.
    Conversely.. Roku stick was designed to be portable, and work with endpoint / proxy. T-Mobile has tagged their network to be ... mobile and not fixed (duh), but may want to set up 'home internet' a little differently to work with existing 'home' based apps.
    we have two tv's with Roku and they appear to be working fine. my daughter is on Roku all the time.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Roku itself doesn't care. Netflix/Amazon appear fine. Hulu on Roku stick appears to be the issue

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3