Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Google Voice only using wifi

Device(s)
    LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon), Red Pocket (ATT)
    Feedback Score

Google Voice only using wifi

I have been thinking about cutting the cord on my landline. At first I was thinking about porting the number to an MVNO service but then thought, would it work if I ported to google voice and used it on an old cell phone on wifi only? Would that work?

Also, do you still have to port from a landline to a wireless company and then to google voice?

Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    You could do that, but if you’re really using as a home phone replacement, why not port to GV and get an Obi 200 device instead of using an old cell phone for $40-50 and just plug your existing home cordless phone into the obi? This way, if you have multiple handsets around the house, they will all still be usable.

I know there is a small upfront hardware cost, but for me it would be a better user experience if you already have a multi handset cordless system. The obi has a guided setup to GoogleVoice making it quite simple.

As a bonus, you can still install the GoogleVoice app on your regular cells and pick up home calls from anywhere you are. Of course if you’re situation is like mine, and 95% of the calls to your home number are spam, you might not want it to ring there. But you can still see your missed calls and call back selected ones there.

Device(s)
    LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    You could do that, but if you’re really using as a home phone replacement, why not port to GV and get an Obi 200 device instead of using an old cell phone for $40-50 and just plug your existing home cordless phone into the obi? This way, if you have multiple handsets around the house, they will all still be usable.

I know there is a small upfront hardware cost, but for me it would be a better user experience if you already have a multi handset cordless system. The obi has a guided setup to GoogleVoice making it quite simple.

As a bonus, you can still install the GoogleVoice app on your regular cells and pick up home calls from anywhere you are. Of course if you’re situation is like mine, and 95% of the calls to your home number are spam, you might not want it to ring there. But you can still see your missed calls and call back selected ones there.
    I have thought of that but I have a phone system that will pick up cell phone calls if it's attached through blue tooth.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I ported my old home phone # to GV in October, 2015, and have been extremely happy using an Obi200 + a Uniden DECT 6.0, 5-handset system with it ever since.

The Uniden DECT 6.0, 5-handset system was purchased in 2009 and was originally used with AT&T POTS until 2015, and it's still going strong.

Yes, you do have to port to a cellular service before you can port to GV. The cheapest way to do that is ever changing and will require some research to find the current cheapest, but it should be easy to do for $10-ish.

I use ONLY data on my cell phones, using Hangouts+GV for all my voice and messaging needs. As high technology said, you can also use the actual GV app instead of Hangouts on your cell phone if you want, but I prefer Hangouts. I have my original GV # that I started using in 2009 AND my old home phone # (now on GV) set up in Hangouts so I can receive and place calls and use messaging from either #. I also have the same setup on my backup cell phones and my tablet, so I can use my GV #s on any device at any time. Luckily for me, GV seems to block out most spam calls EXCEPT for stupid political calls, but those aren't too frequent.

Device(s)
    Moto Q9M, C290
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow16 View Post
    I have been thinking about cutting the cord on my landline. At first I was thinking about porting the number to an MVNO service but then thought, would it work if I ported to google voice and used it on an old cell phone on wifi only? Would that work?

Also, do you still have to port from a landline to a wireless company and then to google voice?

Thanks!
    The short answer is YES, it will work wifi only. The settings in the GV app will let you choose. If you have a data sim in your phone, GV will use that to make calls when away from wifi.
    -----------------------------------------------
    As always, these comments are IMHO.

Device(s)
    LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mike82346 View Post
    The short answer is YES, it will work wifi only. The settings in the GV app will let you choose. If you have a data sim in your phone, GV will use that to make calls when away from wifi.
    Thank you!

Feedback Score
    I ported my landline number to GV earlier this year and have been very satisfied with the decision so far. just to caution that if you already have a GV number and would like to keep it, you have to port your landline to another (new) GV account. The GV number of an account can't not be transferred (to another gmail account) after a port-in and Google will remove it after 90 days automatically. Also normally a GV number can't be linked (forwarding calls to) another GV number but if you have linked your GV number with the landline number before port-in, the link (call forwarding) will still be keep even after port-in. If you don't want the calls forwarding after port-in, you can simply disable, not delete, the link to keep the call forwarding option open for the future.

Device(s)
    LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    I ported my landline number to GV earlier this year and have been very satisfied with the decision so far. just to caution that if you already have a GV number and would like to keep it, you have to port your landline to another (new) GV account. The GV number of an account can't not be transferred (to another gmail account) after a port-in and Google will remove it after 90 days automatically. Also normally a GV number can't be linked (forwarding calls to) another GV number but if you have linked your GV number with the landline number before port-in, the link (call forwarding) will still be keep even after port-in. If you don't want the calls forwarding after port-in, you can simply disable, not delete, the link to keep the call forwarding option open for the future.
    Good to know! Thank you.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Consider the move wisely.

We haven't heard if you've got fixed/wired home internet service. Also, GV service over Wi-Fi through the GV or Hangouts app is not universally "perfect" for everyone (not yet anyway - certainly not me), as far as glitch-free calling and such. Service over my home internet using an Obi ATA on the other hand, is near perfect. Much better home solution.

We would have to assume the Wi-Fi you mention in your first post is through your own service and router.

Device(s)
    LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Consider the move wisely.

We haven't heard if you've got fixed/wired home internet service. Also, GV service over Wi-Fi through the GV or Hangouts app is not universally "perfect" for everyone (not yet anyway - certainly not me), as far as glitch-free calling and such. Service over my home internet using an Obi ATA on the other hand, is near perfect. Much better home solution.

We would have to assume the Wi-Fi you mention in your first post is through your own service and router.
    Yes, we have internet and router through Fios. I will look at the Obi again. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow16 View Post
    would it work if I ported to google voice and used it on an old cell phone on wifi only? Would that work?
    Google is regularly forcing upgrades of the Voice (and Hangouts) app. On older phones in particular, you're at the mercy of the latest version having zero bugs, or else you lose your phone service. Only acceptable if you barely make any calls, they aren't important, and you've got low standards.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcxb View Post
    Google is regularly forcing upgrades of the Voice (and Hangouts) app. On older phones in particular, you're at the mercy of the latest version having zero bugs, or else you lose your phone service. Only acceptable if you barely make any calls, they aren't important, and you've got low standards.
    I guess I've got low standards. I've been happily using a Google Voice number as my main phone number since 2006 when the service was called Grand Central.

The Google Voice app is updated frequently. However, the updates aren't forced. You can turn off auto updates. You can even install old versions from APKMirror. Of course there's no guarantee that an old version will still work so it's generally a good idea to use the latest.

The current Android version of Google Voice works on Android 4.1 and latter.
    Last edited by Yeswap; 09-25-2019 at 03:26 PM.
    Compare prepaid plans from all operators at PrepaidCompare.net.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    the updates aren't forced. You can turn off auto updates.
    Google won't let more than a couple versions back use the service at all... I've tried, due to show-stopping bugs in newer releases. Not a big deal with most apps, but when you're depending on an app for your calls and text, you're really hosed.

I keep trying to like GVoice, but every time I make a non-trivial call it always has some weird drop-out, sudden lag, etc. Different phones, different networks, etc. there's always problems I don't have with carrier calls.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcxb View Post
    Google won't let more than a couple versions back use the service at all... I've tried, due to show-stopping bugs in newer releases. Not a big deal with most apps, but when you're depending on an app for your calls and text, you're really hosed.

I keep trying to like GVoice, but every time I make a non-trivial call it always has some weird drop-out, sudden lag, etc. Different phones, different networks, etc. there's always problems I don't have with carrier calls.
    To use your GV # over data only on your phone (the subject of this thread), I suggest switching to Hangouts+Hangouts Dialer on your phone instead of the GV app. I've successfully and happily used Hangouts+Hangouts Dialer over LTE and WiFi with my two primary GV #s since March, 2017. I have had no real cellular phone # since that time.

I have found that not every phone works equally as well with Hangouts. My LG G2 and Blu Vivo XI definitely don't work as well, mainly regarding the outgoing audio quality, as my LG Phoenix 2 and Moto E4 XT1768 do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I suggest switching to Hangouts+Hangouts Dialer on your phone instead of the GV app.
    I use that, too. My recent testing was with Hangouts.

I have found that not every phone works equally as well with Hangouts.
    I've tried it on half a dozen. Some certainly work better than others, but even the best still fall far short of carrier voice calls.

If you've never had problems, don't let me stop you, but there's lots of complaints about Google Voice and Hangouts around here, so I'm far from the only one. Of course it's easy to try it out for a while before buying-in, but make sure your testing is comprehensive enough...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast