Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: New iPhones Support CBRS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    You mean B48. B46 is 5 GHz
    Yes you are correct. edited

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Verizon could walk away with 200mhz between the two auctions if they placed a similar restriction on C-band.
    Depends on the restriction. It it's 160 MHz then sure. Could be 100 MHz.

I'd think they have to bid big on these to relieve metro area congestion. I can't see Tmobile bidding on these and imo AT&T is still more worried about cutting back on their debt.
    If the Sprint merger goes through then it reduces the need for T-Mobile to bid. Especially since more 2.5 GHz is going up for auction later too. If the merger doesn't go through I see T-Mobile being very aggressive in the C-band auction.

M-MIMO antennas at those frequencies should be somewhat smaller than the pizza box size antennas with 128 elements that Sprint apparently is putting up for band 41. Still kind of big to hide in a lamp post though.
    You would need FAR FAR less of those to cover the same areas as you would need with mmwave. Of course everything is location dependent but it shoudln't be an issue to cover 1 square mil with CBRS/C-band or even more

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    You would need FAR FAR less of those to cover the same areas as you would need with mmwave. Of course everything is location dependent but it shoudn't be an issue to cover 1 square mil with CBRS/C-band or even more
    They just won't be able to stick those antennas in one of those fake lamp posts though, lol.

I see a few 5G cells in my area mounted on the very top of telephone poles.

Feedback Score
    They just won't be able to stick those antennas in one of those fake lamp posts though, lol.

I see a few 5G cells in my area mounted on the very top of telephone poles.
    Are those any uglier than transformers on poles which are much larger?

Name:  14339355613_5f19b04c9c_b.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  114.6 KB

Feedback Score
    Ugly - maibe. But without them you won't have any poles either.
    Newer neighborhoods (like mine) use under ground power and clam-shell transformers (mounted on the ground) and there are no poles on the streets, except the street light ones.

It's hard to see how they will install 5G there.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Ugly - maibe. But without them you won't have any poles either.
    Newer neighborhoods (like mine) use under ground power and clam-shell transformers (mounted on the ground) and there are no poles on the streets, except the street light ones.

It's hard to see how they will install 5G there.
    They mount them on light poles. It's done all over NYC.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Band 48 covers 3550–3700 MHz in terms of spectrum, so definitely will not cover the upcoming C-Band auction. There will have to be a new band standardized, likely Band 89, for 3.7-4.2 GHz.

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Are those any uglier than transformers on poles which are much larger?

Name:  14339355613_5f19b04c9c_b.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  114.6 KB
    Absolutely no worse, better really. You should see the local historic or hysteria societies reacting to these new antennas though its hilarious because they're still bothered by electricity.

The new electric transformers around here are enormous too, they have heat sinks on the sides like wings. No one will even notice those small antennas on top.

I'm psyched because in areas like mine outside of the big metro areas with underground facilities Verizon will just toss these on top of the poles with no zoning requirements - just place it there connect to fiber on the pole and light it up. They could easily put a pizza box size antenna there also for CBRS or C-Band too.

Feedback Score
    just place it there connect to fiber on the pole and light it up.
    The "connect" and "light it up" words are the big problem.
    1. Fiber doesn't get magically inside the light pole. It would need to be pulled together with the existing electrical wires in the same conduits that right now go up inside the pole. Since they don't own the electrical and their contractors are not allowed to work on hot circuits, this needs to be negotiated with the local utility.
    In most of the places the backhaul is probably wireless, less performant during congestion. Works now, when there is just 1 or 2 connected devices.
    2. Power for that cell will need to be taken from somewhere. The pole electricity is not good because it gets turned off during daytime. In order to keep it on, every single pole would have to be retrofitted - either with a photocell (ugly, they won't turn on synchronized) or with smart drivers (RF connected in a mesh). Big money, local utility will probably be reluctant to allow them because the maintenance issues that can appear.
    Oh, and I didn't say a word about the back-up batteries for service continuity during power outages...

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    The "connect" and "light it up" words are the big problem.
    1. Fiber doesn't get magically inside the light pole. It would need to be pulled together with the existing electrical wires in the same conduits that right now go up inside the pole. Since they don't own the electrical and their contractors are not allowed to work on hot circuits, this needs to be negotiated with the local utility.
    In most of the places the backhaul is probably wireless, less performant during congestion. Works now, when there is just 1 or 2 connected devices.
    2. Power for that cell will need to be taken from somewhere. The pole electricity is not good because it gets turned off during daytime. In order to keep it on, every single pole would have to be retrofitted - either with a photocell (ugly, they won't turn on synchronized) or with smart drivers (RF connected in a mesh). Big money, local utility will probably be reluctant to allow them because the maintenance issues that can appear.
    Oh, and I didn't say a word about the back-up batteries for service continuity during power outages...
    I was talking about the 5G antennas they're putting up on telephone poles though specifically - not the lamp poles and Jack's post I responded to was in response to another post where I wrote about Verizon in my area putting these 5G antennas on the top of telephone poles.

They're on the very top of the pole which on top of the electric. In cities where there is underground they can't do that but around here I'm seeing it. I've actually wondered how they actually install those like that being on top of the electric and all. I'll have to stop and take a pic next time I pass one.
    Last edited by offthegrid; 11-20-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Feedback Score
    I am curious too, we don't have them here. It's a logistics nightmare IMO.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    I am curious too, we don't have them here. It's a logistics nightmare IMO.
    This is not exactly what I have seen but this is a 5G small cell on the East Side of Providence around Brown U.

Its above the power on the very top of the pole. They just run down the pole opposite the power to pick up the fiber and power down below. No zoning issues just attach and go. They'd have a hard time doing this where there are cross arms but I have seen those also. I know where one of those is and be in that area next week I'll grab a pic and post it.

Name:  IMG_20190708_125138.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  132.2 KB

Feedback Score
    This is not exactly what I have seen but this is a 5G small cell on the East Side of Providence around Brown U.

Its above the power on the very top of the pole. They just run down the pole opposite the power to pick up the fiber and power down below. No zoning issues just attach and go. They'd have a hard time doing this where there are cross arms but I have seen those also. I know where one of those is and be in that area next week I'll grab a pic and post it.

Name:  IMG_20190708_125138.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  132.2 KB
    How is that in any way "ugly" or obtrusive? Who is looking up at that anyway? As I said transformers are much more uglier than that.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    How is that in any way "ugly" or obtrusive? Who is looking up at that anyway? As I said transformers are much more uglier than that.
    I agree Jack, you'd laugh your head off at the historical society in Providence protesting these. Meanwhile Brown can demolish or move century plus old houses around the East Side like they owned it all, close but not all of it, lol.

People must be hearing similar protests in other parts of the country. Here it sticks in their craw that they have no zoning control over these being added in most areas. They hate everything. Pretty sure if they had their way we'd go back to horse drawn carriages.

In the very downtown area where there are no poles these are on street lamps but most of the city has poles because its an old city. They've got 3-4 of areas of 95 with decent 5G coverage - I'm not sure how they're going about that antenna wise looks like for that they started where traffic backs up the worst to handle what is likely heaviest usage in those areas at times.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My neighborhood is brand new with all underground utilities and Verizon (MCI) just ran fiber along every streetlight for 5G small cells. it'll be interesting to see how it works out.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using HoFo mobile app

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6