Thread: Just got a notice from Google to initiate VoLTE on my Pixel 2XL.

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Just got a notice from Google to initiate VoLTE on my Pixel 2XL.

This is the message I received: I believe it was initiated by Google

"Due to network improvements in your area, you can now take advantage of enhanced calling features with turning on VoLTE by going to Settings>Connections>Mobile Networks> Enable VoLTE for Android or Settings>Cellular>Enable LTE for IPHN Tap on Voice & Data to enable".

This is some VoLTE info:
    1. Verizon Wireless, for example, traditionally used 1XRTT for all of your voice calls, relying on LTE for data. This used to be why Verizon phones couldn't simultaneously use voice and data.
    2. VoLTE is the ability to use more bandwidth to make phone calls with higher quality audio traveling both ways. When you are on a call with someone else who is using VoLTE, you immediately notice the difference in call quality on both ends. You'll also notice calls connect faster if you are calling someone near you, and while that's not a feature worth bragging about, it's a cool thing to test for yourself.

I did set up my phone to use VoLTE. Settings>Mobile Network>Advanced>Preferred network type>:LTE/CDMA. Don't know how to test if it's doing anything. Getting system updates and this VoLTE announcement is ALMOST worth the extra expense of buying a Google only phone. Now to prove to my mind if getting Android 9 + VoLTE if I'm getting any noticeable benefit.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If you are using a Verizon based SIM, it is Tracfone or maybe Verizon that sent this message. I have not seen this message myself since I have VoLTE already. If you want to know why, Verizon is dropping their CDMA network at the start of 2021. So you will need to have VoLTE to be able to talk.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by tlippy View Post
    This is the message I received: I believe it was initiated by Google

"Due to network improvements in your area, you can now take advantage of enhanced calling features with turning on VoLTE by going to Settings>Connections>Mobile Networks> Enable VoLTE for Android or Settings>Cellular>Enable LTE for IPHN Tap on Voice & Data to enable".

This is some VoLTE info:
    1. Verizon Wireless, for example, traditionally used 1XRTT for all of your voice calls, relying on LTE for data. This used to be why Verizon phones couldn't simultaneously use voice and data.
    2. VoLTE is the ability to use more bandwidth to make phone calls with higher quality audio traveling both ways. When you are on a call with someone else who is using VoLTE, you immediately notice the difference in call quality on both ends. You'll also notice calls connect faster if you are calling someone near you, and while that's not a feature worth bragging about, it's a cool thing to test for yourself.

I did set up my phone to use VoLTE. Settings>Mobile Network>Advanced>Preferred network type>:LTE/CDMA. Don't know how to test if it's doing anything. Getting system updates and this VoLTE announcement is ALMOST worth the extra expense of buying a Google only phone. Now to prove to my mind if getting Android 9 + VoLTE if I'm getting any noticeable benefit.
    There is already some discussion about this starting at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...1#post17094111, and at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...6#post17094146. I don't think the message came from Google.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I did set up my phone to use VoLTE. Settings>Mobile Network>Advanced>Preferred network type>:LTE/CDMA. Don't know how to test if it's doing anything.
    To test and see if your phone is using VoLTE on TF/Verizon:
    1. Turn off WiFi. Turn on Data.
    2. Make a call to someone.
    3. DURING THE CALL, try accessing an online site with your phone's browser. If it works, your call is going through VoLTE. If it doesn't work (site won't load, or you get an error that Data is not available), your call is not going through VoLTE.

If you want to see how clear a call through VoLTE is, and whether or not your phone displays the HD indicator, send me a Private Message with your phone number, what time works for you, and I'll call you from my phone with VoLTE.

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    "If you want to see how clear a call through VoLTE is, and whether or not your phone displays the HD indicator, send me a Private Message with your phone number, what time works for you, and I'll call you from my phone with VoLTE".

hp-just sent a private message. Thanks

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Tlippy and I just had a test call. Even though his phone is set to LTE as the Preferrer Network, his call didn't go through VoLTE and Data was not available during the call; on my end, I didn't see the HD indicator that I would see if his call was using VoLTE. The SIM in his phone was swapped in from another phone activated a long time ago. He's going to transfer service to another SIM and see if VoLTE will be provisioned.

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    "If you want to see how clear a call through VoLTE is, and whether or not your phone displays the HD indicator, send me a Private Message with your phone number, what time works for you, and I'll call you from my phone with VoLTE".

hp-just sent a private message. Thanks
    hp-contacted Tracfone and they said I was indeed set-up for VoLTE. Thanks for your help

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    hp-contacted Tracfone and they said I was indeed set-up for VoLTE. Thanks for your help
    I wouldn't trust what TF said. If Data is not available for use during your call, your phone is not using VoLTE.

Just to be sure that your APN is set up correctly, can you access an online site with WiFi off and Data on (when not in a call)?

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I wouldn't trust what TF said. If Data is not available for use during your call, your phone is not using VoLTE.

Just to be sure that your APN is set up correctly, can you access an online site with WiFi off and Data on (when not in a call)?
    YES. And an notification appears on the top of my home screen that LTE is being used.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Once you've got a new SIM activated (with VoLTE), we can test again if you like.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Yep, still lots of misinformation about VoLTE (and Visual Voicemail) coming from CSRs at the Tracfone companies. They should know better by now.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    YES. And an notification appears on the top of my home screen that LTE is being used.
    When you transfer service to a new SIM, I would not even mention VoLTE provisioning. Take the old SIM out of the phone during the activation process and tell them it was lost/damaged. You do not want them to be able to make a test call with the old SIM active.