Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Phase 5 of 600 mhz rollout is complete- How soon should I start seeing Band 71

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dandn1321 View Post
    Has the network improved any over there in Tennessee? Over here where I am the cellular grid is dense enough that band 71 really doesn't make much of a difference. And it's useless at only five megahertz.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    I couldn't tell you as I'm on Verizon. I did do the thing were they send you the hotspot for 30 days. Signal was fine, Verizon was faster. But maybe if I had an actual phone the results would be different.

All T-Mobile had here( my town other towns are different )before was band 4 and some of that apparently is still being used for UTMS then they put up band 12 which is also only 5X5 then band 71 in January which I have no clue how much they are using but they bought 15X15. If 5X5 is useless 10X10 isn't going to be much better and in NJ/NY area that's all t-mobile has. Imagine when they try to split that with 5G. IF the Sprint merger is approved then T-Mobile will be superior to Verizon in terms of spectrum in my area an extra 12.5X12.5 MHz of PCS( band 2 ). T-Mobile has 5X5 MHz in my area but is not deployed and it's split into two 2.5X2.5 MHz chunks and then there is also Sprint 2.5 GHz spectrum. Of which there is 73.5 MHz.

I would like to add when I did the test thing that the t-mobile tower is further way from my house than the Verizon tower which is fairly close so that would obviously affect the results too.

Feedback Score
    So does Raleigh and surrounding areas have band 71 active? Any current map for band 71 nationwide? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smokieunc View Post
    So does Raleigh and surrounding areas have band 71 active? Any current map for band 71 nationwide? Thanks

https://coverage.lart2150.com/

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score

Check in Dec first week

Raleigh is one of the markets where they turn on 5G, I believe on Dec 5th. They will be deploying 600 mhz for 5G so maybe we'll also see 4G on band 71. As of today, I haven't seen any band 71 signals in Raleigh.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaar View Post
    Raleigh is one of the markets where they turn on 5G, I believe on Dec 5th. They will be deploying 600 mhz for 5G so maybe we'll also see 4G on band 71. As of today, I haven't seen any band 71 signals in Raleigh.
    Spectrum Gateway shows they own 20x20 there. So they should do 10x10 LTE and 10x10 5G

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Spectrum Gateway shows they own 20x20 there. So they should do 10x10 LTE and 10x10 5G
    Yeah, well, not if the past is any guide. Probably 5x5 LTE and 15x15 5G. But that's just based on the fact that AFAIK no one has seen band 71 deployed as anything but 5x5 LTE, so far.

Also, is there a band-71 5G NR phone yet? I don't know. Samsung's Galaxy 10 5G is only 5G in mm wave bands.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Yeah, well, not if the past is any guide. Probably 5x5 LTE and 15x15 5G. But that's just based on the fact that AFAIK no one has seen band 71 deployed as anything but 5x5 LTE, so far.

Also, is there a band-71 5G NR phone yet? I don't know. Samsung's Galaxy 10 5G is only 5G in mm wave bands.
    One plus has a device that supports B71 and B41 for 5G

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

It’s live in the Briar Creek area I saw it when I was up there the other day. According to cell mapper it live in Apex area. I’m wondering if additional towers will come live on Dec 6th when the 5G rollout takes place. It’s definitely here just the rollout out slower than I would of thought.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    One plus has a device that supports B71 and B41 for 5G

So they support n71 and n41 because those are the 5G bands

Feedback Score
    Yeah, well, not if the past is any guide. Probably 5x5 LTE and 15x15 5G. But that's just based on the fact that AFAIK no one has seen band 71 deployed as anything but 5x5 LTE, so far. .
    Despite the fact that 99.9999% of customers are on 4G and 0.0001 are on 5G? It should be the opposite or better yet let it all be on 4G. 5 MHz isn't s--t. If you live in area where the mid bands are useless 5 MHz of bands 12 and 71 isn't going to do anything. Those bands will be congested quickly. So oh goody you get a signal but you have dial-up internet level speeds. T-Mobile should have bought up the entire 35X35 MHz of band 71 if they intended on also using it for 5G

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Despite the fact that 99.9999% of customers are on 4G and 0.0001 are on 5G? It should be the opposite or better yet let it all be on 4G. 5 MHz isn't s--t. If you live in area where the mid bands are useless 5 MHz of bands 12 and 71 isn't going to do anything. Those bands will be congested quickly. So oh goody you get a signal but you have dial-up internet level speeds. T-Mobile should have bought up the entire 35X35 MHz of band 71 if they intended on also using it for 5G
    First, band 12 and 71 aggregate with mid-bands. A phone can use mid-band for download and low-band for upload. So, it is possible that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
    Second, I don't believe they were allowed to bid on the whole of band-71 or the rules wouldn't have allowed them to win it all.

Feedback Score
    First, band 12 and 71 aggregate with mid-bands.
    Ah but the point they bring up is those low bands have coverage which means there are areas where those are the ONLY bands one can receive. Otherwise why even bring up the coverage advantage? Also in many areas 600 MHz is the ONLY band they have. What is 5 MHZ going to do? Oh goody potentially hundreds of devices sharing a max 50 Mbps total bandwidth.

A phone can use mid-band for download and low-band for upload. So, it is possible that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
    Not if there is no mid band on the tower or the mid band signal is so weak it can't be detected.

Second, I don't believe they were allowed to bid on the whole of band-71 or the rules wouldn't have allowed them to win it all.
    There were no such rules. Only Verizon and at&t had limits put on them.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Ah but the point they bring up is those low bands have coverage which means there are areas where those are the ONLY bands one can receive. Otherwise why even bring up the coverage advantage? Also in many areas 600 MHz is the ONLY band they have. What is 5 MHZ going to do? Oh goody potentially hundreds of devices sharing a max 50 Mbps total bandwidth.

Not if there is no mid band on the tower or the mid band signal is so weak it can't be detected.
    I know. I sometimes go to the Len Foote Hike Inn near the southern end of the Appalachian Trail. There is one spot where I can get a couple bars of band-12 signal. Needless to say, I'm not watching any YouTube videos on that signal. But this doesn't mean it's useless. E-Mail, calls and texts are a 90% of the game.

Uplink is always the weakest link in a cellular connection. There are three bands of service around a multi-band (mid + low) tower. 1) Where you have both high and low uplink and downlink. 2) Where you get high and low downlink but only low uplink. 3) Where you get only low-band. The importance of cross-band CA comes into play in the second case. There the link can be maintained by low-band while most of the downlink travels by mid-band. In this case, having any amount of low-band is 100% better than none.

BTW, I agree that T-Mobile should be utilizing as much band-71 as possible for LTE while awaiting 5G. For some reason, they don't follow my instructions. Maybe they didn't get my memo.
    There were no such rules. Only Verizon and at&t had limits put on them.
    From what I understood only part of the spectrum was set aside for bidders with limited low-band spectrum. (e.g. T-Mobile)
    Also, no bidder was allowed more than a set amount of 600 MHz spectrum in sparsely populated areas.
    https://www.rcrwireless.com/20150806...e-request-tag2

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

BTW, I agree that T-Mobile should be utilizing as much band-71 as possible for LTE while awaiting 5G. For some reason, they don't follow my instructions. Maybe they didn't get my memo.
    T-Mobile is flipping on 5G on December 6th for the simple reason the T-Mobile & Sprint merger trial with several State AG on December 9th. T- Mobile thinks deploying 5G will help them both in the trial and to attract new customers. Verizon & AT&T mmwave 5G only works well walking down the street since even glass blocks mmWave. If the merger goes through T-Mobile will have enough 4G & 5G deployed. Besides it is the old chicken and the egg argument that few people will buy 5G phones unless they have 5G spectrum deployed in their home area. T-Mobile will sell a lot of new 5G phones in 2020. However 5G wireless home ISP could double T-Mobile revenue in three years.

Also, if the merger goes through then Dish will lease T-Mobile their spectrum including their Band 71 spectrum for a few years as Dish uses that revenue to start leasing cell towers. Dish will have very little revenue as a MVNO under T- Mobile for several years and leasing out their spectrum will Get Boost more money. After Dish buys Boost it is I think about 8M customers with the worst credit and that isn’t going to pay for A nation wide build out of cell towers for many years to come.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 11-21-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Feedback Score
    I know. I sometimes go to the Len Foote Hike Inn near the southern end of the Appalachian Trail. There is one spot where I can get a couple bars of band-12 signal. Needless to say, I'm not watching any YouTube videos on that signal. But this doesn't mean it's useless. E-Mail, calls and texts are a 90% of the game.
    5G offers a mere 5%-10% improvement on lowband. So going from 3 Mbps to 3.3 Mbps doesn't mean much.

In this case, having any amount of low-band is 100% better than none.
    But they could have all that band 71 for 4G which would serve way more people. In a few years as 5G phones are large part of the subscriber base then allocate some of that spectrum to 5G. T-Mobile is doing this half-***** measure just to be first which is something they use to chide Verizon and at&t for.

From what I understood only part of the spectrum was set aside for bidders with limited low-band spectrum. (e.g. T-Mobile)
    Also, no bidder was allowed more than a set amount of 600 MHz spectrum in sparsely populated areas.
    https://www.rcrwireless.com/20150806...e-request-tag2
    Well my PEA has over 533K which is above the 500K limit and even with a limit they still bought only 15X15 MHz and three 5X5 blocks went unsold beaus no one else bid on them.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast