Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BRILLIANT !: Use an old cell phone as a vehicle GPS tracker.

Feedback Score
    Zapjb, HOW will Google find a car? OR a phone that doesn't have a phone number?
    Without a SIM card, the phone doesn't even have a phone number. . . correct?

Maybe that's the same question that Hamradio has?

Google's FIND thing is not an app that needs to be installed on the phone.
    It's just a part of Google.
    When you connect your phone NUMBER to your Google account, then the FIND function works.
    Thus, I'm pretty sure that you cannot Find a device that doesn't have a SIM / phone number.

StupidGenius, yup, sometimes it gets Hot in a car, especially here in southwest USA.
    Often above 110 nowadays. Regardless, this phone would be Under the seat, out of the sun.
    "Battery-powered". . . Anything. Not an option. I want the power to be up when the need arises.
    And I don't want to be bothered with changing batteries every so often.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    If you are trying to use a phone as a cheap LoJack , which App works that tells you your car has moved and shows on Google maps and the route it took......

Find my devise works , but if your car is parked in underground parking it will not get the Find my devise signal,
    But a google map would show you the area it is in......at least until it loses cell signal ......

LoJack does not use cell signals ,
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark51 View Post
    Zapjb, HOW will Google find a car? OR a phone that doesn't have a phone number?
    Without a SIM card, the phone doesn't even have a phone number. . . correct?
    How is your app going to work with no cell service?

StupidGenius, yup, sometimes it gets Hot in a car, especially here in southwest USA.
    Often above 110 nowadays. Regardless, this phone would be Under the seat, out of the sun.
    "Battery-powered". . . Anything. Not an option. I want the power to be up when the need arises.
    And I don't want to be bothered with changing batteries every so often.
    I have some experience with leaving cellphones in cars for extended periods.

After a year or so of normal use, I put an inactive Tracfone (flip phone) in my car console. It lasted 12 more years before dying. At one point I did not even check and recharge it for five years. Up to the twelfth year, it would take and hold a charge and function. I tested it once to call 911, which is all it could do without service.

I have had my old Galaxy S3 in the glovebox for two years or so after five years of normal use. It's still working fine. I do check and charge it once a month.

This is for phones that are not powered on. Does the battery still have good capacity? Probably not.

This is in central Virginia. It does not generally get above 100F, but I have measured 130F in the car on a hot Sunny day.

I wouldn't leave a valuable phone in the car, but I don't worry about old ones that are past their normal service use.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stupidngenius View Post
    Lithium battery powered devices are not good for keeping in the car unless they are somehow temperature controlled. Search for battery powered dashcams, they do not last very long.
    That's true. However, it's also bad for the battery to leave the phone in a drawer for years. Both being in a drawer and plugged in are end-of-life assignments for an otherwise obsolete phone. One might as well put it to good use in the car.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    That's true. However, it's also bad for the battery to leave the phone in a drawer for years. Both being in a drawer and plugged in are end-of-life assignments for an otherwise obsolete phone. One might as well put it to good use in the car.
    Old phone being continuously on and charging may not be reliable, I guess. If charging can be restricted somehow, say between 20-80%, it might prolong the life of the phone.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark51 View Post
    Google's FIND thing is not an app that needs to be installed on the phone.
    It's just a part of Google.
    When you connect your phone NUMBER to your Google account, then the FIND function works.
    Thus, I'm pretty sure that you cannot Find a device that doesn't have a SIM / phone number.
    All I know you don't necessarily need a phone number to make Find my device work, just the Google account will do. I came over to buddy's garage last week to help him install the brake kit, tires and a couple of led light bars he ordered from 4WheelOnline on his weekend toy Wrangler. He mentioned about the cheap phone he brought from a random guy. The phone looks good as back up phone but the owner's a Google account was not deleted and the phone accidentally got locked on Find My device on guy's account. No sim on the phone. My buddy was able to contact the guy and they will meet again to clear the lock and his account on the phone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2