Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ATT Towers

Feedback Score

ATT Towers

The ATT coverage map shows full coverage in my rural area, but any info I can find on network tower locations shows absolutely no ATT towers. There's only a Verizon tower about 5 miles away that shows on a tower location search. I know networks sometime share towers. If the tower is owned by Verizon but ATT shares it, would it only show as Verizon on a tower locater ?

Any good web sites showing network towers ?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    From my experience as an At&t CS rep, we could see on a map where the towers were located, but there wan't a consumer view-able version. I am certain you will get some additional tower location apps or internet sites from other members.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Cell Mapper is a good app for finding what towers that are close by.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk214 View Post
    Cell Mapper is a good app for finding what towers that are close by.
    I'm on Verizon now. Wanted to try ATT since they seem to have better plans for the $. Don't want to activate on ATT and have nothing usable. So Cell mapper wouldn't help. I assume it would only tell you the towers for the network you're on (?)
    All carrier coverage maps are bogus outside of populated areas or main highways. Even the Verizon map.
    I have marginal coverage with them 5 miles from the tower and their map shows coverage way way further out then me.

Feedback Score
    At least the web site shows them ALL. For my area I can see all four networks. You tell it which networks towers you want to see. When the map comes up, zoom out until you can see you're off the coast of Africa. Then you can move the location roughly to where you're at and zoom back in. Type United States where it has Afghanistan and Att will be the second choice.

It's cellmapper.net not. com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by david0858 View Post
    At least the web site shows them ALL. For my area I can see all four networks. You tell it which networks towers you want to see. When the map comes up, zoom out until you can see you're off the coast of Africa. Then you can move the location roughly to where you're at and zoom back in. Type United States where it has Afghanistan and Att will be the second choice.

It's cellmapper.net not. com
    Bust. Doesn't even show the Verizon used tower nearest me. Maybe it just shows network owned towers and not some other communication company that may lease space to networks. There's allot of companies on the pull down that I've never heard of and I wouldn't know who would own my closest tower. Is there a way to show all towers regardless of network using it?
    However on another map I found that tower does show with a Verizon search.

EDIT: Reading more on that cellmapper site, it only appears that it shows towers reported by registered app users. That could explain why even the Verizon tower doesn't show. No one out my way is a registered user.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    The ATT coverage map shows full coverage in my rural area, but any info I can find on network tower locations shows absolutely no ATT towers. There's only a Verizon tower about 5 miles away that shows on a tower location search. I know networks sometime share towers. If the tower is owned by Verizon but ATT shares it, would it only show as Verizon on a tower locater ?

Where are you located?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Where are you located?
    About 20 miles w/sw of Tucson.

Feedback Score

I haven’t found any accurate sites for tower information yet. Lots of sites give completely wrong or partial information which can be inaccurate.

AT&T is now upgrading my area for 5G so I can get permit info to see where AT&T is doing work to get a idea of where they could be, but I have not been successful in finding a site which will correctly list all of the towers. AT&T tower locations are internal information.

OpenSignal has been totally incorrect on tower locations. Cellmapper has only partial information and is missing a ton of locations. Antennasearch has some information on towers which could have some incorrect information in the mix, and its also missing the towers found on cellmapper.

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately the coverage maps networks publish are grossly inaccurate unless you're in an urban area or along some interstate. The government is sitting on allot of $ earmarked to expand coverage to more rural areas but they have no way of knowing the best allocation because of the uselessness of network coverage maps in these areas. They'll need to spend a hunk of that $ just to get reliable data.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Get prepaid for a month and see how it actually works.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Get prepaid for a month and see how it actually works.
    That's what I'll need to do. But they should have a money back guarantee if they say they have coverage but don't. All the maps small print gets them out of that. It's unfortunate that a direct network carrier like ATT or even Verizon can't reasonably assure coverage without using the same coverage map we all see which is unreliable outside of metro areas. Providing a tower location map with stats would provide added assurance. It can't be that hard to publish.
    I've found no internet sites/maps that show ATT towers within 25 miles of me, and reliable signal's don't go 25 miles if any at all. Their coverage map shows service for me and another 50 miles beyond me but no towers to be found.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Make a post on social media and ask your friends and family in the area about AT&T. That would be your best resource.

Feedback Score
    That's what I'll need to do. But they should have a money back guarantee if they say they have coverage but don't. All the maps small print gets them out of that. It's unfortunate that a direct network carrier like ATT or even Verizon can't reasonably assure coverage without using the same coverage map we all see which is unreliable outside of metro areas. Providing a tower location map with stats would provide added assurance. It can't be that hard to publish.
    I've found no internet sites/maps that show ATT towers within 25 miles of me, and reliable signal's don't go 25 miles if any at all. Their coverage map shows service for me and another 50 miles beyond me but no towers to be found.
    AT&T is building more fiber optics by me as work is permitted for in NYC in preparation for 5G+. 5G+ is going to mean small cell antennas all over. You can check for coverage with a non active AT&T sim, you don’t even need to pay for service. Or a cheap prepaid AT&T phone. If you get bars of coverage, you won’t be able to use data or calls and the like but you can signup for the service. Coverage maps have been known to be incorrect and inaccurate. The USA in itself is large in landmass and AT&T wants to make themselves look better than they are and more rural markets don’t have a lot of marketshare and have higher costs for deployment. There has not been any action on behalf of government to mandate accurate coverage maps. To AT&T’s credit they are building out the network more but you can’t trust coverage maps from the carriers. You can try crowdsourced coverage maps which may not include all coverage areas however.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately they are all BS. Some are more BS than others, T-Mobile being the king of BS right now. Verizon used to be terrible, now they're probably the least BS of the four. Sprint's nationwide map is ridiculous, it's Verizon 1x combined with USCC on top of Sprint's native coverage. They mostly overestimate coverage available, but they can go the other way too. The actual coverage in this country is a mess, there are dead spots all over.

This stuff can be quite hard to tease out unless your state maintains a database of sites, and even those aren't completely accurate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast