Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Visible (Wireless) Forum?

Feedback Score
    I have asked long time ago for a Total Wireless forum. If you do a search is more active than many of other subforums, mainly because of their family plans.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frail View Post
    One thing I'm not sure about, what to do with Tracfone. Please give us some pros/cons from your perspectives about seeing them combined (or not). I kind of like the idea of a Tracfone main forum, then all their other brands combined into a sub-forum within.
    A separate TracFone forum is fine, but having the other brands in a sub-forum may not work out well with new posters/readers. People with a question about one of the other brands would see a forum title for TracFone, but not their brand. They would not necessarily know to look for it under TracFone, and just post in the General Prepaid forum.

Trying to have a separate forum title listing all those other names could be unwieldy also, but perhaps you know a better way of labeling them.

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    One thing I'm not sure about, what to do with Tracfone. Please give us some pros/cons from your perspectives about seeing them combined (or not). I kind of like the idea of a Tracfone main forum, then all their other brands combined into a sub-forum within.
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    A separate TracFone forum is fine, but having the other brands in a sub-forum may not work out well with new posters/readers. People with a question about one of the other brands would see a forum title for TracFone, but not their brand. They would not necessarily know to look for it under TracFone, and just post in the General Prepaid forum.

Trying to have a separate forum title listing all those other names could be unwieldy also, but perhaps you know a better way of labeling them.
    I very much agree with mframe that putting all other Tracfone brands in a subforum is not the answer. It will likely result in questions for Straight Talk, Total Wireless, Net10 etc getting posted in the wrong forums. What would be harm in just giving them their own combined forum in the prepaid phone sections? The Virgin Mobile forum should just be removed at this point so the other Tracfone brands forum can just replace that.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Okay so a forum for just Tracfone and then the other Tracfone brands still combined, but at the same forum level as Tracfone and not a sub within Tracfone?
    Last edited by frail; 01-09-2020 at 01:02 AM.

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Okay so a forum for just Tracfone and then the other Tracfone brands still combined, but at the same forum level as Tracfone and not a sub within Tracfone?
    Yes, exactly!

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    As with all forum requests, the traffic for that topic must be present before we'll consider adding another forum. In this case, I'm seeing one thread specifically dedicated to Visible wireless since the beginning of August. The traffic just isn't there to justify adding a forum specific to Visible.
    How does HOFO deal with the overwhelming traffic on the Clearwire and Alltel forums? /s

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lIqCs3xa View Post
    Oh, I'm not knocking Consumer Cellular. It's a great choice for a lot of people. My neighbors are thrilled they are paying less than they used to pay AT&T. When they experienced a problem (I don't recall what it was, but I know it was due to user error), CC spent hours on the phone helping them straighten it out. That level of support adds value and makes CC a good choice for the less technologically savvy.

My point is that when it comes to HoFo, I think it should be organized around the companies that people here talk about the most, not those that have the most customers. Most of us here are, to varying degrees, technology geeks. As such, we aren't representative of the general population and are prone to talking about MVNOs that the average person on the street has never heard of.
    It doesn't cost anything to create a sub-forum and then get rid of it if no one uses it. Perhaps the reason why people don't discuss a carrier may be because there is no place to discuss it. There's quite a bit of discussion of Consumer Cellular on Reddit, and those users are pretty much technology geeks as well.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    It doesn't cost anything to create a sub-forum and then get rid of it if no one uses it. Perhaps the reason why people don't discuss a carrier may be because there is no place to discuss it. There's quite a bit of discussion of Consumer Cellular on Reddit, and those users are pretty much technology geeks as well.
    I agree, HoFo has likely lost a lot of traffic to reddit because reddit can easily create sub forums about individual topics like that. The General prepaid forum can be difficult to go through and honestly the search function is downright terrible so finding something that can't be seen can be challenge. So a post that doesn't get a boatload of responses can be buried very easily.

Reddit also seems to get a much higher search returns priority with Google.

That said I dislike the upvote system on reddit which encourages the mob mentality as opposed to knowledge so I don't actively partake.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I agree, HoFo has likely lost a lot of traffic to reddit because reddit can easily create sub forums about individual topics like that. The General prepaid forum can be difficult to go through and honestly the search function is downright terrible so finding something that can't be seen can be challenge. So a post that doesn't get a boatload of responses can be buried very easily.

Reddit also seems to get a much higher search returns priority with Google.

That said I dislike the upvote system on reddit which encourages the mob mentality as opposed to knowledge so I don't actively partake.
    You're right about HoFo's search system. I don't even bother anymore. I use Google to search for things on HoFo.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    That is fine, as long as you don't mind having a long forum title listing all the other brands.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    That is fine, as long as you don't mind having a long forum title listing all the other brands.
    I’d put them in the forum description rather than the title to keep it clean. More preferable to me than several small dedicated forums with a little traffic in each one.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    You're right about HoFo's search system. I don't even bother anymore. I use Google to search for things on HoFo.
    Yes, vBulletin’s internal search is infamous amongst forum owners for how bad it is.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    This searching issue is hardly unknown. Historically, to find stuff on Microsoft's site, it has worked better to just use google
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    I have asked long time ago for a Total Wireless forum. If you do a search is more active than many of other subforums, mainly because of their family plans.
    Yes, Total Wireless has the best family plan on Verizon. It has advantages over Visible by Verizon because on Total Wireless any Verizon compatible device can be used, which isn't the case on Visible.

If you need Verizon's coverage and want an attractively priced family plan with a lot of data then Total Wireless is really the only available choice. RedPocket's family plan is not nearly as good.

RedPocket would be $90 for four lines with 3GB of LTE data per line.
    Total Wireless is $95 with four lines sharing 100GB of LTE data. But there are some taxes and fees with Total Wireless.

I think that Howard Forums is ad-supported.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    I think that Howard Forums is ad-supported.
    Most likely, since there is no cost to be member. Someone has to pay to keep it active. I would imagine that the overwhelming majority of successful internet forums are the same.

CanadianAngela, do you want to be a paying advertiser ??
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast