Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Visible (Wireless) Forum?

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, there is a point of diminishing returns attempting to narrow-cast to everyone for "just their" forum interests. Many members/visitors here regularly show how little of other sub-forums they read, when spending all their time in the one that is named just for what they use. Then they may switch providers or be trying to help someone else out in the world and they don't have as well-rounded of a personal knowledge base as would benefit them.

Of course, this line of reasoning accounts for a heck of a lot in society, especially these days, eh?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have been in contact with the prepaid section mod and we are discussing your suggestions. Please keep in mind that we have to balance the subforums with the amount of discussions they will actually have. Too many subforums makes the forum look cluttered which can affect traffic. We also understand the prepaid section is in need of an overhaul. Your patience is appreciated while we figure this out. Feel free to continue posting your suggestion but please know we probably can't accommodate every change request.

Carrier(s)
    VZW Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    I can't see why that would be required and it would likely only mean Visible content still getting posted in the wrong forum because not everyone would easily find the Visible subforum. I can't see how combining Verizon Prepaid & Visible into one forum would cause confusion. IMO anyone posting about Visible knows the difference between the two brands. I don't see any confusion in the Tracfone/Net10 forum. People know the difference. Don't over complicate it.
    You are vastly overestimating the average person. Just take a look at the Visible subreddit and how many people post asking about the phone selection despite it being clearly posted what phones work and which ones don't for BYOD.

The main reason I see for keeping Visible with Verizon Prepaid is the lack of Visible threads - there's only 7 in the last 60 days of the VZWPP forum. It looks like most of the Visible discussion is over on Reddit.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frail View Post
    I have been in contact with the prepaid section mod and we are discussing your suggestions. Please keep in mind that we have to balance the subforums with the amount of discussions they will actually have. Too many subforums makes the forum look cluttered which can affect traffic. We also understand the prepaid section is in need of an overhaul. Your patience is appreciated while we figure this out. Feel free to continue posting your suggestion but please know we probably can't accommodate every change request.
    Glad you guys are at least discussing the idea of changing things. It has long been a non starter when someone even mentioned it. I definitely agree you don't want/need a forum for everything in the prepaid section but it's long past needing some changes. You definitely lose some traffic to places like reddit when people don't see a forum for a certain carrier. That is quite a shame as reddit is generally terrible.

Some suggestions:

-Red Pocket needs its own forum.
    -Visible is fairly unique right now so not sure, just be open to it's own forum if it gets bigger.
    -AIO hasn't been around for 6 years but is still in a forum title.
    -Airvoice can probably be closed/put in general as it only had 4 topics started last year.
    -Keep things somewhat similar in each forum. There are some forums with sub forums, others with none. I realize at some time in the past those topics were needed for specific forums but most are not current.

It is really hard to strike the right balance between cluttered/uncluttered and informative/useless along with traffic. I understand the dilemmas your team face. Just be a little more open with small changes from time to time instead of the NO as has been conveyed in the past. The prepaid world changes frequently and needs to be updated from time to time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This is good stuff, thank you.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Reddit is impossible to navigate.
    Difficult, but not impossible. If you ever used Usenet, it's also difficult to navigate. But at least Reddit has moderators. So many of the Usenet groups were destroyed by spammers.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by persim View Post
    Glad you guys are at least discussing the idea of changing things. It has long been a non starter when someone even mentioned it. I definitely agree you don't want/need a forum for everything in the prepaid section but it's long past needing some changes. You definitely lose some traffic to places like reddit when people don't see a forum for a certain carrier. That is quite a shame as reddit is generally terrible.

Some suggestions:

-Red Pocket needs its own forum.
    -Visible is fairly unique right now so not sure, just be open to it's own forum if it gets bigger.
    -AIO hasn't been around for 6 years but is still in a forum title.
    -Airvoice can probably be closed/put in general as it only had 4 topics started last year.
    -Keep things somewhat similar in each forum. There are some forums with sub forums, others with none. I realize at some time in the past those topics were needed for specific forums but most are not current.

It is really hard to strike the right balance between cluttered/uncluttered and informative/useless along with traffic. I understand the dilemmas your team face. Just be a little more open with small changes from time to time instead of the NO as has been conveyed in the past. The prepaid world changes frequently and needs to be updated from time to time.
    Does anyone with any power in Howard Forums ever read these requests? Well, all of a sudden I'm seeing some of the prepaid carriers with minuscule numbers of subscribers being removed, so apparently so!

MVNO and Prepaid Forums that would be good to have are Consumer Cellular (3.5 million lines), Total Wireless (3 million lines), Ultra Mobile (750,000 lines), RedPocket (200,000 lines), and Visible (200,000 lines). Maybe the threshold should be 200,000 lines.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I vote for EVERYTHING to be in ONE forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    I agree with Boz1. Too many sub-forums will make it difficult to find information that might be relevant to all users.
    Yeah, I was more serious than not.

I would like MOST of the subforums consolidated in General Prepaid discussion.

The only one that I could see with their own subforum might be for all Tracfone-owned MVNOs.

EDIT:
    Consumer Cellular probably doesn't need it's own forum.
    Last edited by Boz1; 01-08-2020 at 07:31 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    MVNO and Prepaid Forums that would be good to have are Consumer Cellular (3.5 million lines), Total Wireless (3 million lines), Ultra Mobile (750,000 lines), RedPocket (200,000 lines), and Visible (200,000 lines). Maybe the threshold should be 200,000 lines.
    That's not the metric I would use. Consumer Cellular, while apparently quite successful, markets itself to people like my elderly neighbors, who likely learned about it via an ad during Wheel of Fortune or a Consumer Reports article. They are about as likely to be on Howard Forums as they are to go zip lining. Most HoFo users, on the other hand, probably don't consider Consumer Cellular to be a good value for their specific needs, so you don't see as many posts about it as you do smaller MVNOs.

If the end goal is (as I think it should be) to make HoFo as uncluttered as possible, then what should be looked at is how much discussion a particular MVNO generates and segregate only those that generate the most traffic. Then make revisions every couple of years to reflect changes in the market.

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone with any power in Howard Forums ever read these requests? Well, all of a sudden I'm seeing some of the prepaid carriers with minuscule numbers of subscribers being removed, so apparently so!

Basing it on amount of lines each carrier has is a terrible idea. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by lIqCs3xa View Post
    That's not the metric I would use. Consumer Cellular, while apparently quite successful, markets itself to people like my elderly neighbors, who likely learned about it via an ad during Wheel of Fortune or a Consumer Reports article. They are about as likely to be on Howard Forums as they are to go zip lining. Most HoFo users, on the other hand, probably don't consider Consumer Cellular to be a good value for their specific needs, so you don't see as many posts about it as you do smaller MVNOs.

If the end goal is (as I think it should be) to make HoFo as uncluttered as possible, then what should be looked at is how much discussion a particular MVNO generates and segregate only those that generate the most traffic. Then make revisions every couple of years to reflect changes in the market.
    Very, very good points!
    In addition Straight Talk claims to have 9 million subscribers which dwarfs all the carriers CanadianAngela mentioned. Yet the ST forum is practically dormant. As lIqCs3xa stated it need to based on how much discussion a particular MVNO generates here on Hofo.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frail View Post
    The Prepaid section has been in dire need of a huge overhaul for a long time so it's really nice to know that the powers that be are looking to this. Thank you taking this to the appropriate sources.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lIqCs3xa View Post

I know some non-elderly that chose Consumer Cellular because they wanted an AT&T MVNO with a family plan and with off-AT&T roaming and not throttled. It's not a bad deal if you're not a big data user. $105 pays for four lines with 25GB of shared data, but they do charge taxes and fees. Discount that by 5% if you're an AARP member. Unfortunately they raised the additional line price a couple of years ago from $10 to $15. You also have to be careful that you get an AT&T SIM and not a T-Mobile SIM.

Feedback Score
    I know some non-elderly that chose Consumer Cellular because they wanted an AT&T MVNO with a family plan and with off-AT&T roaming and not throttled. It's not a bad deal if you're not a big data user. $105 pays for four lines with 25GB of shared data, but they do charge taxes and fees. Discount that by 5% if you're an AARP member. Unfortunately they raised the additional line price a couple of years ago from $10 to $15. You also have to be careful that you get an AT&T SIM and not a T-Mobile SIM.
    Oh, I'm not knocking Consumer Cellular. It's a great choice for a lot of people. My neighbors are thrilled they are paying less than they used to pay AT&T. When they experienced a problem (I don't recall what it was, but I know it was due to user error), CC spent hours on the phone helping them straighten it out. That level of support adds value and makes CC a good choice for the less technologically savvy.

My point is that when it comes to HoFo, I think it should be organized around the companies that people here talk about the most, not those that have the most customers. Most of us here are, to varying degrees, technology geeks. As such, we aren't representative of the general population and are prone to talking about MVNOs that the average person on the street has never heard of.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I agree that Consumer Cellular wouldn't be discussed enough around here to warrant a dedicated sub-forum. I've already made some of the other requested changes. More to follow.

One thing I'm not sure about, what to do with Tracfone. Please give us some pros/cons from your perspectives about seeing them combined (or not). I kind of like the idea of a Tracfone main forum, then all their other brands combined into a sub-forum within.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Two other things I thought of today:
    1. The Virgin Mobile forum has long been a ghost town and now with VM shutting down it seems clear that dedicated forum should now be removed. There can't be many VM questions going forward.

2. I know I previously suggested all Tracfone brands be combined into one forum but after thinking about it more I think Tracfone should still have it's own dedicated forum because it actually is pretty popular. Then just roll all the other Tracfone brands such as Straight Talk, Net10, Simple Mobile, Page Plus, etc into one combined forum. Just my opinion.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast