Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49

Thread: US expat seeks advice for phone plan - keep a USA #, receive bank text codes abroad.

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    22
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I have one bank that won't accept Google Voice to text a verification code to. But that bank will email me a verification code. I don't know if the banks you're dealing with have that option, but it might be worth looking into.
    Unfortunately, financial institutions are moving away from emails for verification codes.

    E.g., Capital One used to offer all 3 - Email/Voicecall/Text, but removed Email awhile ago.

    And unlike many/(most?) banks, they won't do phone verification with a live cs rep by asking questions.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    22
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post
    Speaking from experience, a Google Voice number will work 95% of the time. Even when it's not accepted for SMS verification, you can still sometimes verify with an automated call. If that isn't an option, you can often call the bank to verify.

    As a backup, you might consider a Truphone prepaid SIM. That gives you a US # which you can receive SMS on free worldwide, with no monthly fee. It, too, may not work since it's a non-standard carrier, but at that point I'd say you really need to complain to the bank, and consider taking your business elsewhere.
    "...but at that point I'd say you really need to complain to the bank, and consider taking your business elsewhere."
    Agree.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    606
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by succeedextend View Post
    I have 2 USA unlocked phones.
    With one I will get a local SIM for local calls/texts, and to call/text the USA if my whereabouts are not important.

    I need Ting/Ultramobile PayGo, or another US SIM account to keep a US based identity.

    For your VOIP comments, will answer in jw530's post.
    If you are spending time between two countries, then you will want two different wireless plans for the time spent in each one and use a voip provider to make and receive US calls from both lines. There are loads of voip based applications to get a phone number in multiple countries so it will appear you are calling from or to those countries.

    You want best wireless carrier for country you are in for your needs as well as a voip provider so you can have a phone number in the country you want.

    I don’t know your situation but if I was spending most of my time in Singapore lets say, I would be using Singtel wireless on a postpaid plan or prepaid depending on plans and devices offered and if I traveled infrequently to USA I would use a prepaid plan in USA for time spent while here and a voip provider if I needed a USA number all the time and would preferably use a dual sim device if offered although you can swap sims as well.

    USA vs international device doesn’t matter as long as carriers activate them and it has the necessary bands for the carriers you use in both USA and Asia.

    VOIP is an official calling mechanism and in fact is being used by most people today. On Wireless, VoLTE is the equivalent.

    If a financial firm has an issue with verification such as SMS Texts, then it means that specific VOIP provider is either blacklisted for lots of fraud or there is something wrong on one of the two sides, perhaps a substandard implementation. Many times it has been the fault of the firm sending out the verifications from my own experience.
    Last edited by LTENetwork; 09-09-2019 at 11:03 AM.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    22
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    If you are spending time between two countries, then you will want two different wireless plans for the time spent in each one and use a voip provider to make and receive US calls from both lines. There are loads of voip based applications to get a phone number in multiple countries so it will appear you are calling from or to those countries.

    You want best wireless carrier for country you are in for your needs as well as a voip provider so you can have a phone number in the country you want.

    I don’t know your situation but if I was spending most of my time in Singapore lets say, I would be using Singtel wireless on a postpaid plan or prepaid depending on plans and devices offered and if I traveled infrequently to USA I would use a prepaid plan in USA for time spent while here and a voip provider if I needed a USA number all the time and would preferably use a dual sim device if offered although you can swap sims as well.

    USA vs international device doesn’t matter as long as carriers activate them and it has the necessary bands for the carriers you use in both USA and Asia.

    VOIP is an official calling mechanism and in fact is being used by most people today. On Wireless, VoLTE is the equivalent.

    If a financial firm has an issue with verification such as SMS Texts, then it means that specific VOIP provider is either blacklisted for lots of fraud or there is something wrong on one of the two sides, perhaps a substandard implementation. Many times it has been the fault of the firm sending out the verifications from my own experience.


    I have a USA phone number.
    I want to port that USA number to another carrier so I can receive verification SMS and automated phone calls sent to me from the USA during times when I am abroad.

    The lowest cost one with acceptable service, to receive perhaps about a dozen to 18 texts or phone calls/month to transmit the codes, and perhaps a few times a month have to call a US company or a US company will want to call me. That's all I need it for.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    932
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by succeedextend View Post
    I have a USA phone number.
    I want to port that USA number to another carrier so I can receive verification SMS and automated phone calls sent to me from the USA during times when I am abroad.

    The lowest cost one with acceptable service, to receive perhaps about a dozen to 18 texts or phone calls/month to transmit the codes, and perhaps a few times a month have to call a US company or a US company will want to call me. That's all I need it for.
    It would seem that Ultra $3 includes Wi-Fi calling features. So assuming you have Wo-Fi where you’ll use it, that would likely be your cheapest option. You’ll get 30 minutes/texts a month, then you will want a little cash balance to cover overages — this is your domestic cash balance.

    Roaming over cellular is harder to find on their web site but (like others) they charge for both incoming and outgoing calls (for example, 25 cents per minute). It also seems that you need a separate cash balance for roaming, which might be more of a pain to track. So if it is just for such limited use, I would probably go the Wi-Fi route (especially if you’ll be using a computer and not a phone for your financial services).

    So while many have pondered the rationale for a dual-SIM phone, this is the perfect use case for a very limited use second SIM. I know you’ve got two phones already, and since you won’t need the US number often, it’s not worth buying a new device for this. But if you happen to buy a new device, it’s something to consider.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,434
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    AFAIK, Ultra, like all T-Mo prepaid, doesn't roam outside North America. (This won't apply to WiFi calling, which will still work anywhere there's WiFi, but you won't be able to use the phone off of WiFi.)

    For US calling, however, VoIP (e.g. Google Voice, etc.) would work fine and the OP wouldn't need to bust into his Ultra balance for voice calls (except for the occasional verification call that requires he answer on the registered cell number.)



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,044
    Feedback Score
    0
    @OP

    As an ex-pat, you should want reliability and support over price, because you have fewer options when things go wrong. Your experience with Magic Jack should be indicative. There's nobody to call to fix your problem. IMO, reliabilty = quality of support.

    You're quibbling over the difference of a few dollars per month between providers, while ignoring the issue of support help. Basically you're shopping for another Magic Jack and another inevitable failure.

    From the discussed providers, Google Fi and Ting AFAIK have the best support. Ting is mainly a domestic MVNO, so issues with intl roaming likely lie outside of its support expertise. That, and Google is a much larger entity than Tucows (two cows?) and is likely more durable.

    Interesting that the suggestion of Fi is ignored, favoring the ostensibly cheaper Ultramobile PAYGO. Quality of support? Who cares.

    You rely on a heavier dose of luck than most, so the only thing to say is, good luck with the next Magic Jack.


    >AFAIK, Ultra, like all T-Mo prepaid, doesn't roam outside North America.

    Ultra does have international roaming (http://ultramobile.com/international-roaming) for its normal plans. However that may not apply to PAYGO, which is an unadvertised plan. There is a separate international roaming balance. OP is taking a leap of faith here. He should call Ultra and verify.

    Edit: From the PAYGO page, intl roaming is supported and draws from the PAYGO balance.
    Last edited by e.mote; 09-10-2019 at 12:35 AM.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,204
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    If a financial firm has an issue with verification such as SMS Texts, then it means that specific VOIP provider is either blacklisted for lots of fraud or there is something wrong on one of the two sides, perhaps a substandard implementation.
    Or because the law requires them to check the identity and the physical presence, which is not possible with VoIP.

    https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...-107publ56.pdf

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    22
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    It would seem that Ultra $3 includes Wi-Fi calling features. So assuming you have Wo-Fi where you’ll use it, that would likely be your cheapest option. You’ll get 30 minutes/texts a month, then you will want a little cash balance to cover overages — this is your domestic cash balance.

    Roaming over cellular is harder to find on their web site but (like others) they charge for both incoming and outgoing calls (for example, 25 cents per minute). It also seems that you need a separate cash balance for roaming, which might be more of a pain to track. So if it is just for such limited use, I would probably go the Wi-Fi route (especially if you’ll be using a computer and not a phone for your financial services).

    So while many have pondered the rationale for a dual-SIM phone, this is the perfect use case for a very limited use second SIM. I know you’ve got two phones already, and since you won’t need the US number often, it’s not worth buying a new device for this. But if you happen to buy a new device, it’s something to consider.

    I agree - Once I need a new phone, I will definitely be purchasing a dual SIM phone.


    "Roaming over cellular is harder to find on their web site but (like others) they charge for both incoming and outgoing calls (for example, 25 cents per minute)."

    I had 2 separate people tell me that they will charge me calling the US from abroad at the roaming rate, but that if someone in the US calls me and I am abroad it will not be billed as roaming.
    I wasn't convinced, despite their being 2 of them, because as you state others I've checked with do "charge for both incoming and outgoing calls (for example, 25 cents per minute)."


    Also - It seems you are stating that if I am abroad and use PayGo on wifi, there will not be roaming charges.
    Correct?

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    22
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    AFAIK, Ultra, like all T-Mo prepaid, doesn't roam outside North America. (This won't apply to WiFi calling, which will still work anywhere there's WiFi, but you won't be able to use the phone off of WiFi.)

    For US calling, however, VoIP (e.g. Google Voice, etc.) would work fine and the OP wouldn't need to bust into his Ultra balance for voice calls (except for the occasional verification call that requires he answer on the registered cell number.)

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    "AFAIK, Ultra, like all T-Mo prepaid, doesn't roam outside North America. (This won't apply to WiFi calling, which will still work anywhere there's WiFi, but you won't be able to use the phone off of WiFi.)"

    Ultra has a roaming chart listing roaming charges for most countries.

    "Does my plan support International Roaming?

    International Roaming is supported on your plan and is charged from money in your PayGo wallet. Rates for international roaming are located at ultramobile.com/paygo."

    https://www.ultramobile.com/paygo/

    EDIT - I see that e.mote beat me to it.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    22
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    @OP

    As an ex-pat, you should want reliability and support over price, because you have fewer options when things go wrong. Your experience with Magic Jack should be indicative. There's nobody to call to fix your problem. IMO, reliabilty = quality of support.

    You're quibbling over the difference of a few dollars per month between providers, while ignoring the issue of support help. Basically you're shopping for another Magic Jack and another inevitable failure.

    From the discussed providers, Google Fi and Ting AFAIK have the best support. Ting is mainly a domestic MVNO, so issues with intl roaming likely lie outside of its support expertise. That, and Google is a much larger entity than Tucows (two cows?) and is likely more durable.

    Interesting that the suggestion of Fi is ignored, favoring the ostensibly cheaper Ultramobile PAYGO. Quality of support? Who cares.

    You rely on a heavier dose of luck than most, so the only thing to say is, good luck with the next Magic Jack.


    >AFAIK, Ultra, like all T-Mo prepaid, doesn't roam outside North America.

    Ultra does have international roaming (http://ultramobile.com/international-roaming) for its normal plans. However that may not apply to PAYGO, which is an unadvertised plan. There is a separate international roaming balance. OP is taking a leap of faith here. He should call Ultra and verify.

    Edit: From the PAYGO page, intl roaming is supported and draws from the PAYGO balance.

    Your points are excellent about wanting quality service and support.
    Was thinking about that a lot today - don't want to have to go thru this again, and especially while abroad.

    Unfortunately, as has been brought up in this thread, Ting requires 3 months of US use before International use can be turned on, and I won't be here long enough.


    I will read up on Google Fi, which I know nothing about.
    Hadn't heard of it until a few days ago, when I was speaking to a neighbor about my phone issue and she gave me a coupon or invitation to Google Fi she had received (in case I can use it).

    Surprised to learn based on your post that apparently Google Fi has excellent or quality support.

    I am planning to call some of the major carriers and see if they have plans - perhaps like T-Mobile's $20 plan - that I could use for my situation.
    Unfortunately, as mentioned in this thread I think, T-Mobile will cancel their $20 plan if it is used abroad for 5 or 6 months (steadily, I guess, but either way I will be disqualified from using it).

    So as far as penny pinching - if it makes sense I will pay more.

    However, things change.
    Perhaps T-Mobile didn't always restrict their $20 plan from more than 6 months of international use.
    Ting definitely did not always support requiring 3 months of US use before allowing international calling and potential cancellation if it is used predominately internationally.

    It's possible if I find a $20 or more plan that works for me, that the terms could change at any time.
    Still, if I get a better chance for longterm success, I would give that choice a try.
    Last edited by succeedextend; 09-11-2019 at 10:10 PM.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,434
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by succeedextend View Post
    "AFAIK, Ultra, like all T-Mo prepaid, doesn't roam outside North America. (This won't apply to WiFi calling, which will still work anywhere there's WiFi, but you won't be able to use the phone off of WiFi.)"

    Ultra has a roaming chart listing roaming charges for most countries.

    "Does my plan support International Roaming?

    International Roaming is supported on your plan and is charged from money in your PayGo wallet. Rates for international roaming are located at ultramobile.com/paygo."

    https://www.ultramobile.com/paygo/

    EDIT - I see that e.mote beat me to it.
    I stand corrected. Thanks to you and e.mote for the correction. It makes Ultra another weapon for the arsenal of the occasional traveler!





    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    22
    Feedback Score
    0
    It appears that Google Fi supports only 20 phones, and mine are not one of those.
    So I'd have to buy a new phone. And as stated a few posts ago, I'd like my next one to be a dual SIM phone.

    I'm wondering if Verizon, Sprint, etc., may have a Pay As You Go plan or a low post paid plan that would work.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,044
    Feedback Score
    0
    @OP

    It's been suggested banks usually allow e-mail as an alternative for verify. Check. If true, it obviates your need in this thread.

    Becoming an expat entails a lot of things to consider. It's a specialized need that normal services don't cover. At the same time, it is your number one need that may require changing your various services and not just your phone plan.

    Ex: Change bank for lower exchange rate & ATM fees? http://google.com/search?&q=expat+banking

    Suggest you do a lot of searches if haven't already. Search 'expat [service]'. Find expat forums that can help you for much more than a phone plan. 'expat forum [country]'. Avail of the experience of other expats.


    >However, things change.

    Change is one thing you don't want. That's why you should choose a large company/provider vs a small one. Its plans are less likely to be volatile. MVNOs as a whole are not durable. Google being a big dog is an exception.

    >So I'd have to buy a new phone [for Fi]. And as stated a few posts ago, I'd like my next one to be a dual SIM phone.

    You're letting the tail wag the dog. What's more important, your phone service or your old phone?

    Fi does support iPhones if that's you have. Some functionalities are lost, and there's no network switching (a moot point for expat).

    Anyway, I think you're conflating the need for a new (dual-SIM) phone with the need to nail down what is your financial lifeline. Assuming you pick Fi for service, and assuming you need a new phone, then spend the $100 for its Moto G6. It's cheap but a good phone, and should fit your minimal use as a means of bank verfication, and basic talk/text.

    Edit: OK maybe not G6. You need a world phone, ie one that has LTE bands for the telecoms of the country you'll be in. For China, B40,41 are popular. For Japan, B1,8,9,11,18,19,21,28,41. S.Korea, B1,3,5,7,8. This is where a flagship phone (iPhone/Pixel/Samsung) proves its worth.

    As for a new dual-SIM phone, this is not the place to ask. The better place is the country you'll be living in, assuming you'll be there for the foreseeable future.


    >I'm wondering if Verizon, Sprint, etc., may have a Pay As You Go plan or a low post paid plan that would work.

    Don't wonder. Search. http://google.com/search?&q=verizon+paygo

    Yes, there's a VZW PAYGO. No, it doesn't have intl roaming (TravelPass). TravelPass is expensive anyway, at $10/day/device.

    As for Sprint, 'long-term' and Sprint don't fit in the same sentence.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,204
    Feedback Score
    0
    There is no need for dual SIM. Just swap the SIM when he knows that he will need that SMS confirmation. It doesn't take that long.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A newbie seeking advice for a budget phone
    By Giorgi_Aka in forum Android
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-24-2013, 11:39 PM
  2. AT&T newbie seeking advice for new phone
    By shaps in forum AT&T Regular Phones
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-02-2010, 07:40 AM
  3. Seeking Advice for Family Plan: NYC Area
    By qw111 in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-17-2007, 08:55 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 09:59 PM
  5. Seeking Advice For Minor Dilemma...
    By skarplug in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 05:33 PM

Bookmarks