Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Altice Mobile $20/mo UTT, Data. Hotspot & Int TT/35 Countries BYOD

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Imo these are sticky products for cable - trying to provide value to keep customers - bundling etc. They don't really want to invest big in wireless infrastructure outside their own footprint.

Cox actually started putting up towers near my house maybe 10 years ago and then they stopped selling wireless after only a few months. There was no difference in their pricing vs Sprint so I couldn't figure out the angle and apparently no one else could either.

Altice has said their break even number is 1 million customers at these prices and they expect this to be in the black with about 1 in 5 customers that already pay for Altice well and any customers who want to pay $30/mo but aren't w/Altice (I don't see that as compelling at all)

Yep, like to see a coverage map also.
    Is AT&T in network without roaming fees? It says domestic roaming is extra. The coverage map is important and yet it isn’t being shown just yet.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    Is AT&T in network without roaming fees? It says domestic roaming is extra. The coverage map is important and yet it isn’t being shown just yet.
    Good question. I'm hoping, out of just interest, that someone actually is able to sign up and flesh out some details.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    It's really surprising to me that they seem to have rolled it out and nobody has yet activated. Not just here, really anywhere... Heck one of the people in my neighborhood posted about it on NextDoor more than a week ago and got no reply to whether anyone had heard about Altice Mobile.

I live in an Altice area and if I were an Altice customer I'd put this through its paces as a potential T-Mobile replacement. I checked availability/compatibility and all of my iPhones (including my wife's CDMA-less iPhone 8) are all eligible (iPhones 6S on Sprint, iPhone 7 on Verizon, my wife's iPhone 8 on T-Mobile and my T-mobile XS all pass) -- the Verizon iPhone 5S IMEI isn't recognized.

But $40 ($10 SIM + $30 first month) isn't worth it - I've tested a few MVNOs out for $10-15 just for giggles, knowing it was for informational purposes only, but a non-prepaid at this price point for the initial month is more than I want to play with.

Device(s)
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm up and running, as are a few of my coworkers. Support is crap, as to be expected. Service works well, which is better than I expected.

AT&T roaming is free, it's part of the service agreement with sharing microcells. Apparently T-Mobile will be joining the mix shortly as well.

I'd suggest NOT signing up as of right now, simply because it's a service in its infancy. Let them flesh out the bugs for a few weeks first, but it looks promising.

Feedback Score

Altice Mobile definitely not for the faint of heart

Alright! I wanted to post this mid-week but getting registered here was tougher than expected. But after about a week on Altice Mobile here are my initial thoughts:

- Cost: Coming from a regular post-paid AT&T plan, wow! Not just the per-line costs, my taxes/fees/surcharges were > $15 under AT&T, < $4 under Altice.

- Coverage: Not in a great AT&T area so I didn't have that much to lose with the switch. But even in an area with mediocre AT&T coverage, my Altice coverage is still worse. This is what you get for going with Sprint I guess.

- Speeds: When attached to Altice LTE speeds are reasonable. 5-15mbps down most of the time, 50-100mbps under super ideal conditions.

- ... But you are not going to be happy if you need AT&T's network: Because as soon as I connect to AT&T's towers, my speeds drop to 2G/128kbps. Even text messages are sluggish at those speeds, so definitely buyer beware on this one.

Device(s)
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I’m seeing a consistent 80-150mb down, but anywhere from 3-35mb up. AT&T speeds have been good as well, but I live in an area where Sprint works well, so I’m mostly using their towers.

Feedback Score
    Yeah both my unlocked pixel 3 a XL and Note 10 Plus were not supported. Pretty useless IMO, sticking with my current prepaid provider.

Yet on their web site they contradict themselves, Yes, you may bring most current phones as long as they are unlocked. But only the iPhone is currently allowed under BYOD LOL

Feedback Score
    So far the one thing they seem to be doing right is an all pervasive tempting advertising campaign!

Feedback Score
    Any word about moving the sim to a "non supported" Android phone after activation?

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees65 View Post
    Yeah both my unlocked pixel 3 a XL and Note 10 Plus were not supported. Pretty useless IMO, sticking with my current prepaid provider.

Yet on their web site they contradict themselves, Yes, you may bring most current phones as long as they are unlocked. But only the iPhone is currently allowed under BYOD LOL
    This sounds just like Comcast and Charter, which I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) initially only supported iphones and also Visible. I know with Visible it was just the app for voice calls that needed to be ported to android (?). Having this contradicting info on their website is going to really hurt them. Wondering if they've announced this yet in mailings to customers? They may have jumped the gun on the rollout before they really were ready.

Quote Originally Posted by exATT View Post
    - ... But you are not going to be happy if you need AT&T's network: Because as soon as I connect to AT&T's towers, my speeds drop to 2G/128kbps. Even text messages are sluggish at those speeds, so definitely buyer beware on this one.
    This has to be more related to voice coverage 'Hello AAA, I'm stuck on Rte 627a just past the reservoir, can you please send a truck?" where Sprint has no service at all as opposed to a Google FI type thing where best signal is chosen for service.

Device(s)
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees65 View Post

Other unlocked devices are going to be allowed shortly. How long they define "shortly" is anyone's guess.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    they need to hurry up and allow porting from all numbers, i can't lose my kansas phone number just to switch carriers
    Mourning the loss of my Nextel i325 but still using a bag phone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3