Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Replacing Galaxy S5 on Tracfone BYOP

I have a Galaxy S5 on Tracfone and it does everything I need. The charging port is worn out and need to replace the phone(repairing it will cost just about as much where I live). I don't need a bleeding edge phone so I was looking at the Galaxy S7. New ones are hard to find, the Tracfone version is $259; kind of steep for an old phone.
    Will a Galaxy S7 G930V work with Tracfone? With the Tracfone SIM card of course. If not the Galaxy S7, what would be a good Android phone from another manufacturer that would work?
    Thanks. Might be slow to respond, phone not working....

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have used Moto phones.. G6, G7 and Z3 and really liked them all.. Most can be had for reasonable prices on Amazon..

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
    I don't need a bleeding edge phone so I was looking at the Galaxy S7. New ones are hard to find, the Tracfone version is $259; kind of steep for an old phone.
    Will a Galaxy S7 G930V work with Tracfone? With the Tracfone SIM card of course. I
    Tracfone is selling a reconditioned Galaxy S7 for $130. The reconditioned phones have always been in like new condition, and have a full 1 year warranty. A Verizon branded G930V will work on TF.

If your Galaxy S5 account does not have VoLTE/HD Voice, do not swap the SIM to any other phone.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Tracfone is selling a reconditioned Galaxy S7 for $130. The reconditioned phones have always been in like new condition, and have a full 1 year warranty. A Verizon branded G930V will work on TF.

If your Galaxy S5 account does not have VoLTE/HD Voice, do not swap the SIM to any other phone.
    I got the refurbed Galaxy S7 from Tracfone. Asked about warranty; only 30 days to exchange or refund.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I got the refurbed Galaxy S7 from Tracfone. Asked about warranty; only 30 days to exchange or refund.
    They might have changed the rules. Been a few years since I bought a reconditioned. The T&C says: "All reconditioned or refurbished phones sold by Tracfone (except iPhones) have a ninety (90) day limited warranty as do all wireless accessories sold by Tracfone." So it looks like 30 days for a return for any reason, and 90 days for a warranty replacement/repair.

Thought later you can't swap the SIM card from an S5 to an S7 because the size is different. Just use the SIM that comes with the TF S7 and transfer service.
    Last edited by loboheeler; 09-03-2019 at 04:46 PM.

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If not the Galaxy S7, what would be a good Android phone from another manufacturer that would work?
    To answer that Q, agreeing with this \/
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbw View Post
    I have used Moto phones.. G6, G7 and Z3 and really liked them all.. Most can be had for reasonable prices on Amazon..
    Definitely agree with bigbw, we loved the Moto E4 (UsCellular) and now have the Moto E5 (tracfone) Previously had "versions" of Samsung phones and it's not a huge leap to "learn", especially since it's Android of course... We've used LG (Rebel 3 & 4) and not as fond of that brand, the phones "worked fine", but didn't 'feel' as comfortable with our use-style (just average smartphone users).
    (Our) Phone History At-a-Glance:
    '08-on Tracfone (Vz) using:
    1. '19- : Vzw on Moto E5 (with unl talk $30)
    2. '17-'19 : BYOP(Vzw) on UsC Moto E4 + LG Rebel 3
    3. '16-'17 : BYOP(Vzw) on HTC Desire 526
    4. '14-'16 : Huawei Glory H868C
    5. '12-'14 : LG800g
    6. '08-'12 : Motorola W376g
    '05-'08 Verizon & Sprint used: Moto Razr+LG Cosmos 2 & LG Optimus '05
    '03-'05 Alltel & Cingular
    '01 AT&T

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbw View Post
    I have used Moto phones.. G6, G7 and Z3 and really liked them all..
    Well depending on there usage the Z might be comparable. The G6 would be a step down from the GS5 and way down from a GS7. The G7 somewhat better (the actual G7, bot the Play or Power)

The Moto G5+ while a good phone was a step down from my several years older LG G2.

Mototola still lags way behind with their cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by tracbourne View Post
    Definitely agree with bigbw, we loved the Moto E4 (UsCellular) and now have the Moto E5 (tracfone) Previously had "versions" of Samsung phones and it's not a huge leap to "learn", especially since it's Android of course... We've used LG (Rebel 3 & 4) and not as fond of that brand, the phones "worked fine", but didn't 'feel' as comfortable with our use-style (just average smartphone users).
    Come on. Moto E? Not even close.
    (I use a E4+ as my daily driver)
    Same for the LG Rebels.
    I'll guess the Samsungs you used were also low budget devices.

Throwing those out vs a Galaxy S7?

Maybe the OP would be fine with a slight downgrade in performance, lower res screen, and worse camera.

But I'd never suggest any of those as even close to a GS7.

Sure all are reasonable phones, but not in the same league as the Galaxy S.

That's like suggesting a Camary or Civic to someone that's been driving an older BMW/Benz.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    OP bought the TF Galaxy G7, so further comparison of the merits of other models is unnecessary. Hope it's to their liking.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for all the info. I had a couple LG phones. No complaints, but the S5 is much better. If the charging port hadn't worn out, I'd still use it. If the S7 works out, I'll try to fix the S5. I'm a bit concerned about battery life in a refurb phone, especially since it is non-removeable.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm a bit concerned about battery life in a refurb phone, especially since it is non-removeable.
    Well it's not that hard to replace, if you can find a good battery. A lot of low quality stuff out there.

May want to practice the heating on a spare/throwaway device, but my first attempt went well (GS3 glass replacement).

Same for the GS5 charging port.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If the S7 works out, I'll try to fix the S5. I'm a bit concerned about battery life in a refurb phone, especially since it is non-removeable.
    Batteries+ does the USB port repair on the GS5 for $80. It is a fairly difficult repair, having to remove the AMOLED screen. No telling what the age is of the TF version of the GS7.

Device(s)
    LG V35, V20, iPhone SE, Moto E4, Galaxy Go Prime, Galaxy J3 Sky
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I certainly wouldn't spend a lot repairing the older s5, new ones can be had for not much money and if you wouldn't mind not using the s5 while it's charging there's cheap external battery wall chargers on amazon for sub 10 dollars, the s5 also has wireless charging

nice deal on the s7, I actually was going to daily drive one last year, finding one for a cheap price that wasn't severely beaten up with screen burn in/peeling,cracks,etc was like finding a needle in a haystack though, one that a seller online claimed was flawless condition arrived all cracked and beat up so I refunded it then I opted for a v20 at the time then a few months ago scored a v35 for a great deal and see it lasting years, has been really smooth and glitch free and never heated up which is more than I can say for the v20

I remember reading online many people swearing the s7's camera was amazing and auto focused quick which is what made me want one back then. If I ever had hardware failure on my daily driver I was probably going to look into getting the s7 since refurbs or new ones are pretty decently priced now

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The refurb S7 from Tracfone is very nice. No scratches or signs of wear. Checked everything out and transfered about 90% of my data using Google and Samsung Switch. Activation was the fastest and easiest ever, and I've been through a few. Had my "New Tracfone" chat with Alex here on the forums, always cool. If the phone performs as good as it looks, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The refurb S7 from Tracfone is very nice. No scratches or signs of wear. Checked everything out and transfered about 90% of my data using Google and Samsung Switch.
    Tracfone refurbs are usually like new. Don't think there was ever anything wrong with them. Likely user setup errors.

Did your contacts automatically download in from the Google servers when the account was set up, or did you use another method? Just to confirm that your S5 was syncing the contacts with Google. A friend's S5 does not sync, even with it turned on. He has hundreds of contacts on the phone, but few ever made it to the Google server. I tried a manual sync, the date upgraded, but nothing went to Google verified on contacts.google.com. There is a sync error on the phone.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Tracfone refurbs are usually like new. Don't think there was ever anything wrong with them. Likely user setup errors.

Did your contacts automatically download in from the Google servers when the account was set up, or did you use another method? Just to confirm that your S5 was syncing the contacts with Google. A friend's S5 does not sync, even with it turned on. He has hundreds of contacts on the phone, but few ever made it to the Google server. I tried a manual sync, the date upgraded, but nothing went to Google verified on contacts.google.com. There is a sync error on the phone.
    Yes, Google has nearly everything backed up. On the S5; make sure the phone has backed up the data to Google. Check Backup and Restore. Then sign into Google on new phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast