Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile Is Giving People A Free Hotspot To Test Drive Its Network

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

T-Mobile Is Giving People A Free Hotspot To Test Drive Its Network

I will have to stop in at a T-Mobile store after work this afternoon.

https://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-i...e-its-network/

T-Mobile knows that even after years of growth and changes it still has a reputation problem. Many people still think of it as an inferior carrier network to rivals Verizon and AT&T.

In a bid to change that narrative, the company on Wednesday is pulling out an old move from its "un-carrier" playbook: giving interested non-T-Mobile users a free Wi-Fi hotspot and 30GB of data to use on its LTE network for 30 days.

"The T-Mobile in the past isn't the T-Mobile network of today," Sarah Osmer, T-Mobile's vice president of customer and business management, told CNET.

Now playing: Is the new T-Mobile worth switching to? (The Daily Charge,...
    5:02
    As part of the new offering, those who are curious about T-Mobile simply need to head to a T-Mobile store or go to T-Mobile's Test Drive website and request a hotspot. There is no cost and the company isn't asking for a credit card or credit check. The carrier is just asking for your name, phone number, home address and email, which T-Mobile says it won't use for marketing purposes.

When you're done with the hotspot, which will stop working once the 30 days are up or once you hit the 30GB cap (whichever comes first), you can return it to a T-Mobile store, give it to a friend -- who can request a different SIM card and start a separate test -- or just keep it.

coolpad-surf-black-1-3x
    The Coolpad Surf

T-Mobile
    The hotspot is a Coolpad Surf, a no-frills 4G LTE hotspot that regularly retails for $72. While lacking in features like a screen, it does support T-Mobile's low-band 600MHz spectrum designed for wider coverage and better support in buildings.

"We really are asking anyone who is interested, no matter where they live across the US, to try T-Mobile," Osmer said.

T-Mobile previously offered the Test Drive program in 2014, giving those interested the opportunity to use an iPhone 5S for seven days. Osmer says that the company found people preferred to keep their regular number and phone, which is why it's offering the hotspot option this go-round.

While the SIM won't work if it's put in a phone or tablet, Osmer says the company is also looking into offering an eSIM option that will allow those with a recent device like an iPhone XS to try its service through that method. That offering, however, won't be available today.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Do you have a link ?

Do they do a credit check or just give it to you ?

Just sounds too good to be true ,

Thanks for posting
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Use for computer/tablet, or Wi-Fi access if your current phone/plan supports it.

I've been considering trying T-Mobile again, but I think this would be a hassle. Wouldn't tell me how my phone (pre B71) would work.

I'll probably just go ahead and port to T-Mobile around the 10th of next month and give it a month. If I don't like it, I'll just port away and be out of the SIM fees. Generally, the iPad data plan I have works well, but I don't use the iPad when I'm driving.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    They do a phone number check, email address check and billing address check. If any of those are associated with any existing T-Mobile account you will not qualify for this offer... for obvious reasons.....
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    But of course... This is an attempt to get "new" customers. There's little besides Tmobile Tuesday for existing

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Very generous and a good play. I hope the CoolPad Surf ends up being a reliable device for the campaign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

It will be interesting, too, to see if the SIM card in it, assuming there is a physical SIM card and not an e-SIM, is locked to that device or not.

I will try the service and may "gift" the device to my mother-in-law that has an older ZTE hotspot.

I assume that the SIM card size, again, IF there is a physical SIM, will/might be nano sized, but who knows.

It will also be interesting to determine the manufacture of the device. Has T-Mobile often used ZTE hotspot devices?

Update: It will come with a physical SIM. This is NOT able to use an e-SIM.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    More questions with no answer yet,
    What's the cost per month if we like it ?
    I assume it will be locked to TMO , but can we use another TMO sim if we have one ?
    I hope it's easy to qualify !

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    But of course... This is an attempt to get "new" customers. There's little besides Tmobile Tuesday for existing

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    I just entered my work phone number, my work address and work email address and it went through just fine.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    More questions with no answer yet,
    What's the cost per month if we like it ?
    I assume it will be locked to TMO , but can we use another TMO sim if we have one ?
    I hope it's easy to qualify !
    This isn't test drive for the hotspot. It's using the hotspot for the test drive of the network. You use it to see if you have decent coverage where you live then you sign up for regular t-mobile phone service.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I will have to stop in at a T-Mobile store after work this afternoon.

https://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-i...e-its-network/

T-Mobile knows that even after years of growth and changes it still has a reputation problem. Many people still think of it as an inferior carrier network to rivals Verizon and AT&T.
    In many areas, it still is. They've come a long ways, for sure, but they have not yet reached parity with AT&T or Verizon. When I worked at U.S. Cellular here (Ukiah, CA) in the late 90's, they used to do something similar, they'd get your information, dl, etc., then give you a loaner phone with a number and 30 days to test out their service. No CC was needed, either, though all we had was AMPS then, no data or text, aside from Cellular modems.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    In many areas, it still is. They've come a long ways, for sure, but they have not yet reached parity with AT&T or Verizon.
    I tend to agree - especially outside of the city. There was 'No Coverage' - at all in the U.P. of Michigan before, and much of what did exist in the north (and many other rural areas) was AT&T roaming. Many places now have some T-Mobile service, but in general - most rural areas are typically not covered as well as AT&T/Verizon - in my opinion. T-Mobile is after customers in general.. typically most are urban/suburban by number.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I tend to agree - especially outside of the city. There was 'No Coverage' - at all in the U.P. of Michigan before, and much of what did exist in the north (and many other rural areas) was AT&T roaming. Many places now have some T-Mobile service, but in general - most rural areas are typically not covered as well as AT&T/Verizon - in my opinion. T-Mobile is after customers in general.. typically most are urban/suburban by number.
    Most of T-Mobile coverage in the UP is strictly band 71( of which they have 20X20 MHz not sure how much they are actually using ) which is better than nothing but can't compete with Verizon or at&t. Houghton has band 4 apparently other than that it's band 71 for the UP. T-Mobile does have licenses for bands 2, 4 and 12 in most of the UP

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Anyone else successfully ordered their trial device yet?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast