Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: T-Mobile Is Giving People A Free Hotspot To Test Drive Its Network

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Then the battery will swell like all hotspot batteries. So stupid of these device makers.
    It will gives one year life under warranty....

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    No, it will not power up without a battery installed in it.
    I can also confirm that the Coolpad Surf will not power up without a battery installed.

I also tried powering up with the battery installed then removing the battery. Unsurprisingly, that does not work either.

As others mentioned, the battery is unlikely to last for years if plugged in continuously. I don't use mine that way. My use is intermittent.

If desired to leave plugged in continuously, maybe a timer would work to only charge a few hours a day.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I can also confirm that the Coolpad Surf will not power up without a battery installed.

I also tried powering up with the battery installed then removing the battery. Unsurprisingly, that does not work either.

As others mentioned, the battery is unlikely to last for years if plugged in continuously. I don't use mine that way. My use is intermittent.

If desired to leave plugged in continuously, maybe a timer would work to only charge a few hours a day.
    Considering how fast things change in wireless, I'm not sure how usable this LTE hotspot would still be in the several years it'll take to cook the included battery anyway. Picture the usefulness of a similar low-end hotspot from five years ago. How many LTE bands might it be missing? What would it's top speed be? A bloated battery might be the least of this device's issues five years from now!

Given the cost of the hotspot (free), its relatively poor performance, and the fact that the battery is user replaceable, I'm not sure I'd lose that much sleep over the possibility that the battery might die before it's time.

In my case, since it's just an emergency backup for me*, I store it with the battery charged and removed (the Surf and battery are in a zip lock bag in my travel kit.) The battery seems to stay charged pretty much indefinitely when removed from the device.

*(My daily driver phone is a Moto X4 without band 71. I take the Coolpad when traveling in case I find an area where 71 is necessary and would then move my SIM to the Coolpad and use my phone on the Coolpad's Hotspot with the Digits app.)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Is Giving People A Free Hotspot To Test Drive Its Network

So, after doing some more testing, I seem to get the best performance on my T-Mobile line with an unlocked AT&T Netgear Nighthawk. The second best is the Netgear Unite Express Explorer 2 AirCard 797S. Even though the Coolpad Surf has Band 71, it is slower than either of the Netgear devices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    So, after doing some more testing, I seem to get the best performance on my T-Mobile line with an unlocked AT&T Netgear Nighthawk. The second best is the Netgear Unite Express Explorer 2 AirCard 797S. Even though the Coolpad Surf has Band 71, it is slower than either of the Netgear devices.
    Netgear m1 is junk product, keep rebooting itself when load traffic

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

The battery is already lasted since last August that is 10 months already, no sign of wearing out.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14