Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile Is Giving People A Free Hotspot To Test Drive Its Network

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Is Giving People A Free Hotspot To Test Drive Its Network

Quote Originally Posted by MotorolaZ3 View Post
    I had to call T-mobile at 1-833-866-4839 and ask them to activate the T-Mobile test drive unit (Coolpad Surf), they will ask for the SIM number once you verify the account.
    I will try that, then. Thank you very much.

Feedback Score

I called that number and was told that I waited too long to activate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I called that number and was told that I waited too long to activate.
    Too long?
    When did u get d device and SIM card?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    Too long?
    When did u get d device and SIM card?
    I ordered it through the URL below. It has probably been about three months ago. On the back on the SIM card it states: Activate by 10/09/2021, so I just took that at face value and waited for the 5G Band 71 600 Mhz roll-out. In retrospect, I should have activated it sooner.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Reading this caused me to open the box on one of these and it also wouldn’t activate. So I can corroborate the inability to activate one of these that’s been sitting around for probably a couple of months.

Feedback Score

I did stop at a T-Mobile store on the way home. I am not sure how much this matters, but I saw later that it is referred to as a "T-Mobile branded store." Anyway, I stopped in hoping they could help me with the Coolpad Surf, but they weren't able to. I am actually a bit skeptical of the CSR who told me that too much time has passed. While I have nothing to disprove that comment, I have read a number of other comments, here and other places, that others have had problems activating these. I gather that the retail stores have no training on these. I suppose it is possible that I would have better lick at an actual corporate T-Mobile store, but who knows.

Feedback Score

I got another one of these today. This one was dead simple. Open the case, insert the SIM card, insert the battery, close the case and connect to USB cord. Then, connect to phone, switch to 5 Ghz and I have about 76 Mbps down and 24 Mbps up.

If I could get T-Mobile Home Internet here, I think I would.

I was also reading some of the other earlier posts on this. Am I correct in that the SIM card is locked to the device when it is activated? So, does that mean that the SIM card will not work in any other device? Or, can it be unlocked using the PUK codes. What is the SIM card were inserted in a different device first and activated? Would that avoid the whole locked to device issue? Or, would it be locked to whatever device it is activated in?

With regards to the Coolpad Surf itself, has anybody here tried installing a previously activated T-Mobile SIM card in it? What does it do? Does it display some sort of error message?
    Last edited by Jim1348; 12-19-2019 at 08:31 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    Reading this caused me to open the box on one of these and it also wouldn’t activate. So I can corroborate the inability to activate one of these that’s been sitting around for probably a couple of months.
    I ordered mine on Aug 29 and activated it more than 2 MOs later on Nov 23.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post

I was also reading some of the other earlier posts on this. Am I correct in that the SIM card is locked to the device when it is activated? So, does that mean that the SIM card will not work in any other device? Or, can it be unlocked using the PUK codes. What is the SIM card were inserted in a different device first and activated? Would that avoid the whole locked to device issue? Or, would it be locked to whatever device it is activated in?

With regards to the Coolpad Surf itself, has anybody here tried installing a previously activated T-Mobile SIM card in it? What does it do? Does it display some sort of error message?
    I finally opened my Test Drive box, anticipating I'd use it when we were on vacation after Christmas. As I noted above, the SIM wouldn't activate -- it takes me to an activation page.

Putting the Test Drive SIM in my iPhone brings me to a page saying that the SIM won't work in this device type -- so the SIM is in their system as a hotspot/broadband device, and won't work in a phone. I was unsuccessful in getting it to activate in an iPad as well.

Putting my active iPad SIM in the Test Drive hot spot works fine. As suspected, the unit itself is locked to T-Mobile (an AT&T SIM doesn't work and prompts for an unlock code), though it may work with some T-Mobile MVNOs.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    I ordered mine on Aug 29 and activated it more than 2 MOs later on Nov 23.
    I called them and was told what the other person was told -- that I waited too long to activate and I'd have to wait another 6 months before I was eligible again.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just ordered one off Ebay and looking to replace my Syncup drive (version 1) with this one. Any ideas what the challenges may be swapping the devices?
    Tricon23

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    I finally opened my Test Drive box, anticipating I'd use it when we were on vacation after Christmas. As I noted above, the SIM wouldn't activate -- it takes me to an activation page.

Putting the Test Drive SIM in my iPhone brings me to a page saying that the SIM won't work in this device type -- so the SIM is in their system as a hotspot/broadband device, and won't work in a phone. I was unsuccessful in getting it to activate in an iPad as well.

Putting my active iPad SIM in the Test Drive hot spot works fine. As suspected, the unit itself is locked to T-Mobile (an AT&T SIM doesn't work and prompts for an unlock code), though it may work with some T-Mobile MVNOs.
    Thank you for the additional details

I am not surprised that it is carrier subsidy locked to T-Mobile. That is pretty much the "industry standard." Now if it were carrier subsidy unlocked, I suppose it would work with AT&T or other GSM carriers IF it has the correct bands. The Coolpad Surf website specifies:
    3G: B1/2/4

4G LTE: B2/4/12/66/71

AT&T uses bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 14, 17, 29, 30, 66

So, if the Coolpad Surf were unlocked, AT&T bands 2, 4, 12 and 66 might just work, unless they have done something else to make it incompatible.

As far as the SIM card goes, I wonder if it can be activated in a different hotspot device, even if it can't be activated in a smartphone? I gather that there is the SIM card lock, but I wonder if the lock applies as soon as it is activated? But, if it were activated in another device, would it then be locked to that device or would it avoid the SIM card lock issue all together?

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Sad news that they are not activating them if you wait too long ,

stupid money move on TMO part

anyone tried it with a Mint sim ?
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Can anyone confirm that a TMO data only (6GB per month) be installed in one of these? I have one (off Ebay never been activated) that looks at my data sim as and unregistered SIM.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tricon23 View Post
    Can anyone confirm that a TMO data only (6GB per month) be installed in one of these? I have one (off Ebay never been activated) that looks at my data sim as and unregistered SIM.
    That should work fine as the device is subsidy locked to T-Mobile, just like any other device they sell in store. Your 6GB data plan would be akin to my iPad plan — a T-Mobile mobile broadband plan, and my iPad SIM worked fine in this device.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast