Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: T-Mobile Is Giving People A Free Hotspot To Test Drive Its Network

Feedback Score
    Thanks, but what I was wondering about was what cellular band / mode it was connecting with t-mobile on.

I don't think it's on the new 600mhz, but I wasn't sure???

(I do see the wifi info, but can't find a place to see the band the cellular is connecting on.)

I will say that t-mobile for the first day is much faster than I expected it to be. People had said sprint and t-mobile weren't very good here a couple years ago, and so far this t-mobile test speed has far exceeded my expectations!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake Michigan View Post
    Thanks, but what I was wondering about was what cellular band / mode it was connecting with t-mobile on.

Hard to tell what band/frequency is being used on simple devices like this. An Android phone app could if on T-Mobile service. I am going to a T-Mobile store nearby and see if they know what is being broadcast. It does vary by location.

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    One option is to grab a Mint Mobile test SIM off Amazon. That'll give you a week of service, and you can then use one of several Android apps to check what band your phone is using. I'm using an iPhone right now, so I don't recall the app I used on my old Pixel 2 XL, but maybe someone else can chime in.

As for the test SIM, it's normally $5, but it's on sale for 99 cents at the moment.

Mint Mobile Starter Kit | Verify Compatibility with Our Talk, Text & Data Plans (3-in-1 GSM SIM Card) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0786RD524..._yNbCEb6WH7R6R

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    The 411 on Free 411
    Hanging Up on Telemarketers
    Need to waste some valuable time? Read my blog![/COLOR] Marion's Time Waster

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Is Giving People A Free Hotspot To Test Drive Its Network

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Michigan View Post

(I do see the wifi info, but can't find a place to see the band the cellular is connecting on.)

I will say that t-mobile for the first day is much faster than I expected it to be. People had said sprint and t-mobile weren't very good here a couple years ago, and so far this t-mobile test speed has far exceeded my expectations!
    Look back here on HoFo for other posts. It does have Band 71, which is 600 Mhz. Now whether YOU are connecting to that band is another matter altogether. I had very fast speeds and the T-Mobile coverage chart showed that I have Band 71 in my area. In all honesty, I compared speeds while I was next to a co-worker with a brand new Samsung that indicated he was on Band 71, but I never actually used a diagnostic app to confirm that I was on Band 71. I probably was, but I can't confirm that I was.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/25/1...t-coolpad-surf

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Is Giving People A Free Hotspot To Test Drive Its Network

Considering everything that is going on right now, this would be a very opportune time for T-Mobile to give out more free hotspots for a test drive. Has anybody here tried ordering one in the past few days? Are they still available?

Update From T-Mobile: Right now, we are allowing some of the schools to use them during this difficult time.
    Last edited by Jim1348; 03-20-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Here's what T-Mobile says on their website:

We are currently out of Test Drive hotspots, as we are prioritizing the needs of school districts across the country at this time. Check back later to get your free trial.

Feedback Score
    How do you turn the Coolpad Surf off?

The manual says press and hold the power button for three seconds. Three seconds doesn't seem to do anything. I press and hold until all of the lights come on green then release and all the lights go out and the SSID goes away for devices looking for Wifi.

Then I look at it several days later and it has turned itself on (and the battery is near dead).

I only use the thing about once a month so this behavior is not good.

It's still worth every cent I paid for it. Which was $0.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    How do you turn the Coolpad Surf off?

The manual says press and hold the power button for three seconds. Three seconds doesn't seem to do anything. I press and hold until all of the lights come on green then release and all the lights go out and the SSID goes away for devices looking for Wifi.

Then I look at it several days later and it has turned itself on (and the battery is near dead).

I only use the thing about once a month so this behavior is not good.

It's still worth every cent I paid for it. Which was $0.
    I just charge it when I'm done using it, remove the battery and store both the device and the battery in a ziploc bag.

I use mine even less than you do (it's my emergency backup if my broadband goes out, or I'm at a rare hotel without free WiFi), and this way it's ready if I need it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13