Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile Is Giving People A Free Hotspot To Test Drive Its Network

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    Yes, it is still available.
    Thanks Jim. I just signed up for one. Does anyone know exactly how this device works? Does it use your WiFi? How does my phone know to connect to the T Mobile signal in my house rather than the Verizon signal that I currently pay for? Do I have to download an app from T Mobile to get it to work? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elevatorguy View Post
    Thanks Jim. I just signed up for one. Does anyone know exactly how this device works? Does it use your WiFi? How does my phone know to connect to the T Mobile signal in my house rather than the Verizon signal that I currently pay for? Do I have to download an app from T Mobile to get it to work? Thanks
    If you are familiar with using other Wifi, it works the same. The hotspot connects to the Internet over the T-Mobile network and provides its own Wifi SSID. Have your phone or tablet, or notebook connect to the Coolpad SSID. It has nothing to do with any other Wifi or your Verizon service.

The exact SSID and passwords come with it. I think they are inside the cover. You will have to take the cover off anyway to put in the SIM and battery.

You can change the SSID and passwords if you want to. After connecting to the Coolpad SSID, browse to 192.168.0.1 and enter the admin password. It will run either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz Wifi, but only one at a time. IIRC, it allows you to connect up to 15 devices to the Wifi.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    ...Will have to see if my 200 MB/mo. for life tablet SIM will work in it after my free trial is up....
    My free Test Drive ended 2/8. Thanks T-Mo.

I put my T-Mo 200 MB a month Free for Life tablet SIM in it. It worked. Amazing. Will they notice at some point and disable it? Who knows?

200 MB is borderline useless, but, in a pinch, I could take care of a bit of business during a power outage or such. I have an unlimited AT&T hotspot so it doesn't really matter to me.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    If you are familiar with using other Wifi, it works the same. The hotspot connects to the Internet over the T-Mobile network and provides its own Wifi SSID. Have your phone or tablet, or notebook connect to the Coolpad SSID. It has nothing to do with any other Wifi or your Verizon service.

The exact SSID and passwords come with it. I think they are inside the cover. You will have to take the cover off anyway to put in the SIM and battery.

You can change the SSID and passwords if you want to. After connecting to the Coolpad SSID, browse to 192.168.0.1 and enter the admin password. It will run either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz Wifi, but only one at a time. IIRC, it allows you to connect up to 15 devices to the Wifi.
    Thanks for the reply. By doing this, isn’t the T Mobile signal based on my own WiFi signal? That is, if I have a strong WiFi signal at home and the T Mobile device runs on top of it, it’s going to be strong too. I thought the hardware was going to be some sort of self contained mini cell receiver that would accurately grab the available T Mobile signal and broadcast it out to a phone via some type of device ID. By going over my personal WiFi it seems to defeat the purpose of accurately trying out the true T Mobile network.

Feedback Score
    By going over my personal WiFi it seems to defeat the purpose of accurately trying out the true T Mobile network.
    It doesn't go over your own personal WiFi. That's what bobdevnul explained to you.

I thought the hardware was going to be some sort of self contained mini cell receiver that would accurately grab the available T Mobile signal and broadcast it out to a phone via some type of device ID.
    Yes, it does that. If you get one of the devices, you will see.

You're the one that asked "Does it use your WiFi?" and bobdevnul told you that it didn't. He also answered your question: "How does my phone know to connect to the T Mobile signal in my house rather than the Verizon signal that I currently pay for?" You would have to turn on the Wifi on your phone and select the hotspot as the Wifi network you want to use and enter the appropriate password.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply. By doing this, isn’t the T Mobile signal based on my own WiFi signal? That is, if I have a strong WiFi signal at home and the T Mobile device runs on top of it, it’s going to be strong too. I thought the hardware was going to be some sort of self contained mini cell receiver that would accurately grab the available T Mobile signal and broadcast it out to a phone via some type of device ID. By going over my personal WiFi it seems to defeat the purpose of accurately trying out the true T Mobile network.
    It's broadcasting its own WiFi, not using yours.

For a rough analogy, look at your cable internet service. Your WiFi router plugs into your cable to get to the internet, and then broadcasts WiFi through your house.

The Coolpad Hotspot does the same- except instead of plugging into your cable for internet, it "plugs into" T-Mobile over wireless LTE or 3G. When you use it at home, you'd connect to the Coolpad's WiFi network instead of your usual cable internet WiFi.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    It's broadcasting its own WiFi, not using yours.
    Most people don't have more than 1 WiFi network at home, so don't have to choose. When you turn on the WiFi in the receiving device it just connects to the last known source that is active right then.

Feedback Score
    Got some emails yesterday to activate the hotspot from months ago ...

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Is Giving People A Free Hotspot To Test Drive Its Network

I ordered another Test Drive hotspot device a few minutes ago.

Under Limitations, it states the following:
    "One hotspot/SIM per shipping address every six months."
    I entered the address I used last fall, but when I tried the previous email, I received this message:

"It looks like your email is already associated with a T-Mobile account."

So, I entered my Gmail address, which I don't use very often.

So, from my experience and reading the posts of others, I think the website checks the following:

-The telephone number entered is not a T-Mobile number.

-The email address has not been used by them before.

It does respond with an email to the address entered and it requires a response before moving on.

If, that checks, then I think it moves to the part about street address. And, based on what I am seeing and reading, it must verify that it is a recognized United States Postal Service address, that it isn't assigned to a T-Mobile customer and has not been used in the past six months for this offer.

Does that match the experience of others here? Has anybody else here ordered another device after the six months have past? If so, were you able to use the same telephone number and/or email that you used previously?

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/test-drive

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I ordered another Test Drive hotspot device a few minutes ago.
    So, from my experience and reading the posts of others, I think the website checks the following:

-The telephone number entered is not a T-Mobile number.

-The email address has not been used by them before.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/test-drive
    Something I noticed that I thought was odd is that it also didn't accept my google voice number. Said it was a t-mobile number. Anyone else notice this?
    I do think my number was once on t-mobile...but then it was on verizon mvnos for years and then I moved it to google voice.

Anyway just something else I noticed.

Feedback Score
    Got the test kit today with the free coolpad surf. Is there a way to get it to show details on the connection (frequency it's connected on, etc.)

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Is Giving People A Free Hotspot To Test Drive It's Network

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Michigan View Post
    Got the test kit today with the free coolpad surf. Is there a way to get it to show details on the connection (frequency it's connected on, etc.)

Yes, there is. Did you figure it out, yet?

Feedback Score
    No, have not located it in the admin of the device yet.

It shows signal strength (-98) and at the top it says 4G LTE T-mobile.

I'm curious which band it's connected on.

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Is Giving People A Free Hotspot To Test Drive Its Network Your Message

It is dual band, but not concurrent. Out of the box it powers up to 2.4 GHz only. You can change it to 5 GHz, once you log into it.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    I got mine when they were first offered , and never used it ,

Will the sim still work ?
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast