Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: T-Mobile Is Giving People A Free Hotspot To Test Drive Its Network

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Is Giving People A Free Hotspot To Test Drive Its Network

I probably should read the fine print closer, will the Test Drive work outside the United States? My best guess is that it wouldn't, but I am just posting to see if anybody knows for certain.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I probably should read the fine print closer, will the Test Drive work outside the United States? My best guess is that it wouldn't, but I am just posting to see if anybody knows for certain.
    Does not. I can not even make it pick up domestic roaming partners

Feedback Score

I just got mine. Popped the battery in, popped the battery out again to get the WiFi password and popped it back in again. It activated immediately.

Used it to update several remote iPhones to iOS 13.1.

Worked very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Tmobile strangely sent me two separate boxes and devices. Activated the first one still have the other sealed. Tried putting the tmobile SIM in my unlocked LG V40 pulled the APN info and grabbed 2g data for a hot minute but refused LTE as expected.

I'm finding speeds in western new Hampshire between keene and francestown averaging 2-4mbps down 1-3 up. At my folks house with rough at&t and Verizon service. Tmobile pulls around 9-12 down by 4 up.

Gave the activated one to my parents to use. Going to activate mine sooner or later. Wish I could access the dBm easier or just try it in my phone but oh well can't complain.

Anyone know when 600mhz will be deployed around New Hampshire ? 700mhz is really strained around here.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just FYI, once your trial ends, although you obviously lose data, the device will still connect to the network and show you signal strength readings. So, if you want to continue to check signal levels after the trial, you can do that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app
    The 411 on Free 411
    Hanging Up on Telemarketers
    Need to waste some valuable time? Read my blog![/COLOR] Marion's Time Waster

Feedback Score
    I previously posted my experience with the tmobile test drive hotspot in post #114. It was overall positive. Based on a couple of suggestions from responders to my original comments--that I had been told by tmobile store that the hotspot would no longer work for me, or maybe it would, with a new SIM card--I went ahead and got a new SIM card from an eBay seller. Here is my experience...

Won't detail all the many and varied schemes I tried to get data working with the new sim. But, long story short, I tried it in both the hotspot and in an iPad with cell data service. I tried the My Tmo app. I tried creating a new account for the new sim. I went to the website where I could use my own device and my SIM card and check for compatibility. Activated the sim and it "should" work with the hotspot. I even got up to selecting the 2GB/$10 plan, right up to check out, and that was as far as I could go.

At every turn, tmo requires that there must be a phone number. Cannot login to an account without that essential piece of info. Cannot select and pay for a plan. There is no "phone number" in the device manager. Obviously, the old number is expired and cancelled, and the old sim is removed.

I did not reset the hotspot after my original test drive expired, nor before putting in the new sim. I have received a tmo email that the phone number originally assigned to the device was cancelled, and so also my former account. I have attempted every avenue and possibility I can think of, short of calling tmo support, for which I have multiple numbers.

I apologize if this seems confused. Just frustrated.

I seek advice of what next.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chickad97 View Post
    I previously posted my experience with the tmobile test drive hotspot in post #114. It was overall positive. Based on a couple of suggestions from responders to my original comments--that I had been told by tmobile store that the hotspot would no longer work for me, or maybe it would, with a new SIM card--I went ahead and got a new SIM card from an eBay seller. Here is my experience...

Won't detail all the many and varied schemes I tried to get data working with the new sim. But, long story short, I tried it in both the hotspot and in an iPad with cell data service. I tried the My Tmo app. I tried creating a new account for the new sim. I went to the website where I could use my own device and my SIM card and check for compatibility. Activated the sim and it "should" work with the hotspot. I even got up to selecting the 2GB/$10 plan, right up to check out, and that was as far as I could go.

At every turn, tmo requires that there must be a phone number. Cannot login to an account without that essential piece of info. Cannot select and pay for a plan. There is no "phone number" in the device manager. Obviously, the old number is expired and cancelled, and the old sim is removed.

I did not reset the hotspot after my original test drive expired, nor before putting in the new sim. I have received a tmo email that the phone number originally assigned to the device was cancelled, and so also my former account. I have attempted every avenue and possibility I can think of, short of calling tmo support, for which I have multiple numbers.

I apologize if this seems confused. Just frustrated.

I seek advice of what next.
    Seems like T-Mobile should have assigned a new phone number when you activated the SIM.

Have you tried putting the SIM in a phone, and see if Settings -> About will tell you the phone number.

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=millept;17099108]Seems like T-Mobile should have assigned a new phone number when you activated the SIM.

Have you tried putting the SIM in a phone, and see if Settings -> About will tell you the phone number

Thanks for the suggestion. When I tried the sim in the cellular iPad, it should have popped up with a phone number, but didn't. There is no native phone app on the cellular iPads, tho, and no number showed up in the Settings | about, so that was a dead end path for me.
    When I did as you suggested, placing the sim in an iPhone, the places where a number should have been found were empty. One is the top of the phone app, for "my number." I would be able to manually input a number there and save it, but that's not workable for my needs. I need an assigned number from tmo.
    I think my only recourse is to contact tmo help. Too bad I'm stubborn and enjoy finding solutions on my own. After wasting yesterday on this, I'm done and concede defeat.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=chickad97;17099172]
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    Seems like T-Mobile should have assigned a new phone number when you activated the SIM.

Have you tried putting the SIM in a phone, and see if Settings -> About will tell you the phone number

Thanks for the suggestion. When I tried the sim in the cellular iPad, it should have popped up with a phone number, but didn't. There is no native phone app on the cellular iPads, tho, and no number showed up in the Settings | about, so that was a dead end path for me.
    When I did as you suggested, placing the sim in an iPhone, the places where a number should have been found were empty. One is the top of the phone app, for "my number." I would be able to manually input a number there and save it, but that's not workable for my needs. I need an assigned number from tmo.
    I think my only recourse is to contact tmo help. Too bad I'm stubborn and enjoy finding solutions on my own. After wasting yesterday on this, I'm done and concede defeat.
    Sounds like the activation was not complete. What device did you use to activate the SIM? The SIM would have to be in a phone or hotspot in order to communicate with the network and receive the activation info, including the phone number, and it might take some time - usually very quick, but not always.

Feedback Score
    I finally put the sim in an iPhone, purchased a prepaid card $10/2GB, and went to a tmo store. After explaining that I was having a problem activating the card and getting a number for the account, it took a further 20 minutes to get thru all the setup screens to get the job done. The store manager had to step in a few times, but l left a happy customer. They accomplished what I could not do on my own. I used the data for the iphone last nite without any problem. Was able to send and receive iMessages to the account number, and able to use google voice number to make/receive calls and SMS. It also appears that the hotspot feature is usable on the iPhone.

Today I placed the sim in the hotspot, where it registered just fine and data worked as expected. I cannot predict whether the monthly charge and the data allowance will be maximized, as this plan is pretty much a "grab'n'go" for hotspot use. Not practical except when necessary. However, the sim in a hotspot allows any phone or wifi device to use a service like hangouts for calls and texts, minimal browsing, etc. Good versatility, considering the number of devices I could choose from that have no data plans of their own. But maybe even better in an unlocked phone, like my iPhone, because I find 2GB quite challenging to use up in a month. And I think tmo data allows unlimited music streaming on its data plans. If I'm wrong about that, I'm pretty sure I read that data speed at 128kb is unlimited after LTE limit is reached.

Of interest to me was a small discovery... While the free TestDrive month was being used, the hotspot had text messages enabled. They were accessible in the device manager. The Simple Choice plan, activated on an iPhone, does not carry over the messaging when the sim is placed in the hotspot. The account specifies that messaging is blocked. Which is not a big loss.

Feedback Score

I just activated one of these tonight. I am in Rosemount MN 55068. The speed was 72.2 Mbps down and 32.0 up.

Feedback Score
    Can the phone number associated with a Coolpad SIM card be linked to a T-mobile ID?

Device(s)
    Motorola Z3, Motorola G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    No go for me. signed up for the test drive, coverage map shows decent service, received test drive unit, no service. I put the test drive sim in to my Motorola Z3 and it picked up 3 bars of service, but on the AT&T network. I really wanted to like t-mobile, but this will not work for me. AT&T and Verizon still have much better service.
    Motorola Z3 on the Verizon Network

Feedback Score

I tried activating another one of these last night, but I have been unsuccessful, so far. I installed the battery and the SIM card. I can connect to a computer or smartphone via wifi, but I never seem to actually get any data through this one. I have check for software updates, done restarts and even Reset Factory settings. The one that I setup for my neighbor and sister-in-law didn't seem this difficult. Would it be worth trying in an unlocked AT&T hot spot?

Anyway, is there anythings else that I should try? Would it be worthwhile to stop at a T-Mobile store with this? Or, should I simply throw it away and try ordering another one? I m not even sure if I can do that because I think it is oner per person, per telephone number.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9