Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile Is Giving People A Free Hotspot To Test Drive Its Network

Feedback Score
    I don’t know if they are throttled for hot spotting, since the max speed they allow for voice sim in an iPad is already restricted to 512-600kbps.

I do have an iPad Mini 4 which is still Jailbroken mainly for the PDANet app which allows pass through WiFi to still work. It is one of the travel devices that frequently gets a voice sim. But again in the States, having the slower data is not a problem for casual use on an iPad. The overseas free 256k data is the big deal since I travel a moderate amount. I’m on my way home from Russia & Europe right now as a matter of fact!

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    What happens if you put a phone SIM in a T-Mo hotspot?

Asking for a friend...
    If a regular tmobile line is inserted into the hotspot, you will not get data. Only text thru UI. If you insert a tmobile data only into the hotspot, data works and texting works thru UI. If you insert a data only sim into a phone, data and text works - seems throttled.

someone asked how are speeds translated into cellphone modem. Exactly the same speed as you will get with normal t-mobile sim card. speeds may vary. Obviously if you have one for the intended purpose, you would not have t-mobile service to start with; this is for people who do not have t-mobile and also checking for coverage.

This and the T-mobile Broadband are behind a WAN: that means that you will not get static IP... in other words, you and others will be sharing the same public IP address.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, after using the Coolpad Surf while visiting my mother this weekend, I have to say that device is a giant piece of s**t!

It has lousy WiFi range, constant disconnects, and even when connected with a fair signal, data transfer would often just stop until we rebooted the Coolpad. It got so frustrating, I have up and just used my phone as a hotspot in the same window instead (which worked much better) and used the Digits app on my tablet to talk and text from other rooms. (As I mentioned earlier in the thread, T-Mo service is weak at my mother's address, so the plan was to park the hotspot in an upstairs bedroom window work decent signal and use WiFi calling throughout the house.)

Judging by the large number of posts in this thread complaining about lousy signal and slow transfer rates, I'm wondering if T-Mo's plan of using cheap crappy hardware like the Coolpad Surf as the vehicle for sampling T-Mo service was a huge mistake. It'd be like Ford Motor Company offering a free thirty-day test drive of Ford cards to woo car buyers, but then giving everyone a 1975 Pinto as the test vehicle! No one coming away from the test is going have a good enough experience to want to switch.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    i205
    Carrier(s)
    nextel
    Feedback Score
    First test unit would not get past first screen.

Second test unit would not get past first screen.

I contacted tmobile 3 times. Promised to get it fixed within three days. ( that was a week ago)

What a waste of my time...... neither unit ever worked

Feedback Score
    My one month is about to run out in a few days here.. I've seen people get multiple of these but it's only one per address afaik. Is there a workaround to get multiple?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aosmon View Post
    My one month is about to run out in a few days here.. I've seen people get multiple of these but it's only one per address afaik. Is there a workaround to get multiple?
    I'm sure T-Mobile will sell you as many as you want.

Feedback Score
    Anybody know how this Coolspot/Tmo works if we tweak things?

I can login with the obvious administrator password and be presented with tons of settings.

Should I disable 2.4GHz and enable 5GHz?

My other questions I guess I'm just paranoid of accidentally shortening my trial...

But it seems to me I should change both passwords especially the one I alluded to above, right?
    How bout Firmware Upgrade? It seems to see one.
    Any other settings worth researching?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland View Post
    1. Yes- it doesn't activate until you put the sim in the hotspot.
    Thanks. I did that this morning and sure enough they sent me an email saying my trial is 10/1 to 10/30 (standard disclaimers yadda yadda)

Feedback Score
    I'll be stoked when an expert replies, thank you! But for now I'm ready to brainstorm and test some of these thoughts...

Firmware Update
    The mini manual that Tmo includes, alludes to the possibility that a firmware update is bad, so I will not update.

5GHz
    I don't wanna try this until I know a Hard Reset procedure. The real manual is hard to find but it's here...
    https://support.coolpad.us/hc/en-us/...al_English.pdf

"Reset: Hold both the Power key and the WPS key simultaneously for 15 seconds."

Feedback Score
    Just finishing my thirty day free test drive of the TMo coolpad surf hotspot. My location is a rural area 45 miles west of Chicago. Traditionally, the signal on my TMo cellphone (iPhone 5s) doesn't exist in my house, but the option to use wifi calling suffices well. I have been pleased with the hotspot so far, even tho the signal strength is never more than yellow and the device manager shows -113dBs. The hotspot maintained an internet connection for me and had good coverage in my home. I've traveled with the hotspot locally and used it in the house, and download speeds have varied from 20-32 Mbps in the house and up to 44 while in my driveway. Upload speeds are "up to" 2, but usually much less. Overall, I was pleased to see LTE speeds this good from TMo in my area.

Because I was satisfied with the hotspot, I contacted a corporate store to have some questions answered. The CSR was friendly and informative. As reported previously, TMo doesn't care if the device is returned or passed on to a friend. But once the thirty days are up, it won't work anymore with the original SIM card. The next user would have to order a new SIM card and activate a new trial period. There is no way to keep the hotspot and the original sim and simply choose to purchase a new data plan. The device lis locked down to prevent that. Also unable to purchase a new SIM card and activate it with a new data plan on the tested device.

Conclusion... The coolpad surf TestFlight device is for testing only. Cannot be used with any prepaid new data plan. Can be used only if given to a new user after thirty days are up and that person applies for a new SIM card. If someone wants to choose a data plan with TMo, the only option is to purchase a new hotspot from them (or perhaps a used one on eBay, etc.) In my particular case, I would need to know that any device would have to include radio bands 66 and 71, so I could receive LTE in my house.

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Is Giving People A Free Hotspot To Test Drive Its Network

Quote Originally Posted by chickad97 View Post
    ...Conclusion... The coolpad surf TestFlight device is for testing only...
    Thank you for posting that. I gave mine to my neighbor. I was sort of wondering if any of the companies that unlock cell phones could carrier subsidy unlock the Coolpad Surf.

TRIAL DETAILS
    Trial Start Date: 09/04/2019
    Trial End Date*: 10/03/2019

Feedback Score
    I changed my settings, renaming the SSIDs, and going 5GHz.

Opposite of what I expected, the 5 doesn't seem to work in as big a radius as the 2.4 and also seems to drop intermittently (but very rarely). I'll stick with 5 for a few more days. Next week I'll probably do some speed tests of both.

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whatIneeded View Post
    I'll be stoked when an expert replies, thank you! But for now I'm ready to brainstorm and test some of these thoughts...

Firmware Update
    The mini manual that Tmo includes, alludes to the possibility that a firmware update is bad, so I will not update.

5GHz
    I don't wanna try this until I know a Hard Reset procedure. The real manual is hard to find but it's here...
    https://support.coolpad.us/hc/en-us/...al_English.pdf

"Reset: Hold both the Power key and the WPS key simultaneously for 15 seconds."
    I can help out with some of your questions.

First, a firmware update won't break anything, at least not if it goes smoothly. Someone on the Slickdeals forum had an update that went badly and froze their device, but a hard reset fixed it.

Also, changing to 5 GHz wasn't a problem for me, and I'm on the latest firmware.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app
    The 411 on Free 411
    Hanging Up on Telemarketers
    Need to waste some valuable time? Read my blog![/COLOR] Marion's Time Waster

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chickad97 View Post
    Just finishing my thirty day free test drive of the TMo coolpad surf hotspot. My location is a rural area 45 miles west of Chicago. Traditionally, the signal on my TMo cellphone (iPhone 5s) doesn't exist in my house, but the option to use wifi calling suffices well. I have been pleased with the hotspot so far, even tho the signal strength is never more than yellow and the device manager shows -113dBs. The hotspot maintained an internet connection for me and had good coverage in my home. I've traveled with the hotspot locally and used it in the house, and download speeds have varied from 20-32 Mbps in the house and up to 44 while in my driveway. Upload speeds are "up to" 2, but usually much less. Overall, I was pleased to see LTE speeds this good from TMo in my area.

Because I was satisfied with the hotspot, I contacted a corporate store to have some questions answered. The CSR was friendly and informative. As reported previously, TMo doesn't care if the device is returned or passed on to a friend. But once the thirty days are up, it won't work anymore with the original SIM card. The next user would have to order a new SIM card and activate a new trial period. There is no way to keep the hotspot and the original sim and simply choose to purchase a new data plan. The device lis locked down to prevent that. Also unable to purchase a new SIM card and activate it with a new data plan on the tested device.

Conclusion... The coolpad surf TestFlight device is for testing only. Cannot be used with any prepaid new data plan. Can be used only if given to a new user after thirty days are up and that person applies for a new SIM card. If someone wants to choose a data plan with TMo, the only option is to purchase a new hotspot from them (or perhaps a used one on eBay, etc.) In my particular case, I would need to know that any device would have to include radio bands 66 and 71, so I could receive LTE in my house.
    I'm not sure I'd believe what you were told about the device's usefulness after the test. I've read several posts from people who popped in a SIM from an MVNO that runs on the T-Mobile network and had it work just fine. I suspect that, if you can buy a data SIM from T-Mobile, it'll work.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCingularUser View Post
    I'm not sure I'd believe what you were told about the device's usefulness after the test. I've read several posts from people who popped in a SIM from an MVNO that runs on the T-Mobile network and had it work just fine. I suspect that, if you can buy a data SIM from T-Mobile, it'll work.

Yeah, while I'm sure it's technically possible for T-Mo to restrict these devices in that way, that's really not T-Mo's M.O. Hundreds or thousands of these locked devices will be floating around after this test, and each one is a potential data plan subscription in the hands of whoever ends up with one. Crippling them does no one any good- people aren't going to return them to T-Mo (without an incentive); they'll just throw them away. Why not leave them out in the field, SIM-locked to T-Mo, to potentially become active subscriptions?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCingularUser View Post
    I can help out with some of your questions.

First, a firmware update won't break anything, at least not if it goes smoothly. Someone on the Slickdeals forum had an update that went badly and froze their device, but a hard reset fixed it.

Also, changing to 5 GHz wasn't a problem for me, and I'm on the latest firmware.

Hope this helps.

Awesome, thanks!

Also an update re my post from yesterday. My 5GHz testing was so bad I switched back to 2.4 this morning. Besides what I already wrote about, other bad symptoms were some domains like google and reddit seemed intermittent or broken, and a VPN I use sometimes wasn't happy.

Well, later I went into the settings and set LTE only. Now 5GHz seems blazing fast. FWIW I don't know much of anything about this stuff LOL.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast