Thread: Suggestions for under $100 android phone for 13 year old

Feedback Score

Suggestions for under $100 android phone for 13 year old

My 13 year old just broke his ZTE Blade. Long story, but it was not his fault. OTOH, he has been lobbying for a more expensive phone, and I do not support this. So, I am looking for an android phone that is decent and under $100. I know there are plenty, I guess I am looking for what offers the most as far as camera, quality, etc. We currently use Puretalk, although I do prefer an unlocked phone, as we are not married to Puretalk and most networks work here.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    my boys are around teh same age and have been using 130$ galaxy s7 in a case. (they are due for some upgraded phones) but the s7 works great battery life is good, camera is OK, water proof tough fast etc.. eventually i will buy them galaxy s9 when the new iphone comes out i imagine prices of all phones will go down a little I use redpocket for everyone and recently picked up mint mobile 3 months service for 30 unlimited talk / txt / 8gb, to try out for the older one. Seems good, jus tmight need to use google voice as main number to avoid paying extra when renew (might need new number for each renewal UGH)
    redpocket for the year is cool tho 60-200 depending the plan. no idea what puretalk is i might look at it

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynsus View Post
    My 13 year old just broke his ZTE Blade. Long story, but it was not his fault. OTOH, he has been lobbying for a more expensive phone, and I do not support this. So, I am looking for an android phone that is decent and under $100. I know there are plenty, I guess I am looking for what offers the most as far as camera, quality, etc. We currently use Puretalk, although I do prefer an unlocked phone, as we are not married to Puretalk and most networks work here.

Thanks!
    Go to Motorola web site. Moto Z3 Play is on sale for $199 with a free mod. Get the Hassleblad camera mod and sell it for about $100 on eBay. You'd have a new phone for about$130. Then install the Pixel camera APK and you're all set.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynsus View Post
    I don't know of any good unlocked phones for under $100. Puretalk is a AT&T MVNO so any AT&T or AT&T Prepaid phone will work on Puretalk or any AT&T MVNO without unlocking.

AT&T Prepaid phones under $100 are easily available at Walmart, Best Buy, Target, etc.

For a little more, you can sometimes find a Moto G6 on sale for ~$130. The G6 is unlocked and works on all four major carriers. This is much nicer phone than any of the $100 and less AT&T Prepaid models. This is the phone I use and I feel no need to switch to anything else.

Take a look at https://prepaidcompare.net/ for what is available for service other than Puretalk.

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    Moto g6 is good for kids same for Moto g7

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10 Plus using Tapatalk
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. I broke down and spent more than I meant to for this Woot deal that seemed great to me

Samsung SM-G892A Galaxy S8 Active 64GB (GSM Only)(Scratch & Dent)
    $199.99

I have been meaning to re-evaluate our phone plans for a while so off to check out if I can make up the extra $100 I didnt plan to spend by switching.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Too late now, but one question I'd have asked is what carrier you're using. It makes a big difference. Phones that work on one carrier may not work on another.
    Donald Newcomb