Thread: Samsung Galaxy S7 Unlocked(sm-g930u) vs T-Mobile(sm-g930T)

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Samsung Galaxy S7 Unlocked(sm-g930u) vs T-Mobile(sm-g930T)

I would like to get a Galaxy S7 (for my father) to use on Mint Mobile. Are there any differences between the unlocked vs T-Mobile models? Such as bands, wifi calling, VOLTE,... I have an unlocked Galaxy S8 on T-Mobile and it gets great coverage and both wifi calling and VOLTE. I am in northern NJ. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb4 View Post
    I would like to get a Galaxy S7 (for my father) to use on Mint Mobile. Are there any differences between the unlocked vs T-Mobile models? Such as bands, wifi calling, VOLTE,... I have an unlocked Galaxy S8 on T-Mobile and it gets great coverage and both wifi calling and VOLTE. I am in northern NJ. Thanks.
    The S8 started it with being the same no matter where you got it.. Even model has the same LTE bands even tho carriers block bands in their firmware but the S8,S9 and S10 automatically download firmware when you install the sim card. The S7 and older was different. However mint runs off the T-Mobile network and the T-Mobile model would work. I would however if you can try to get devices that support Band71 otherwise you might not get a signal in areas where that's the only band deployed. For Samsung that's S9 or newer

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My Galaxy S8 does not have band 71 and I get very good coverage. I'm in northern NJ and based on T-Mobiles coverage map band 71 does not add much benefit around here. Would I have any issues with wifi calling and VOLTE on Mint? I would prefer the unlocked version if there were no negatives since it would give me the flexibility to change carriers. Thanks.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My Galaxy S8 does not have band 71 and I get very good coverage. I'm in northern NJ and based on T-Mobiles coverage map band 71 does not add much benefit around here. Would I have any issues with wifi calling and VOLTE on Mint? I would prefer the unlocked version if there were no negatives since it would give me the flexibility to change carriers. Thanks.
    The only negative I ever had with the unlocked S7 was a bug where something tripped the phone's condensation sensor (it prevents the phone from charging if it's wet, so it doesn't zap the circuitry.)

The problem was the phone never got wet, and the sensor never shut off, so we couldn't charge the phone.

After some googling, it seemed this was a known issue with the unbranded unlocked S7, so I sent it in for repair. Samsung had it for a week, and shipped it back with AT&T firmware on it. It worked fine, but WiFi calling didn't work (we're on T-Mo), so I googled and flashed the generic unlocked software back on, and wouldn't you know, the condensation sensor prevented charging again! The bast*rds didn't fix the issue, they just flashed a carrier firmware that didn't have the bug!

So, I found the T-Mo firmware and flashed that, so WiFi calling worked, the bug was gone again, and all was right with the world, at least until my wife dropped it and shattered the screen.

The practical upshot of this is the AT&T, T-Mo and unlocked versions of the device seem to be hardware identical, as far as I can tell.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I had an unlocked AT&T S7 Active, and it wouldn't do anything on T-Mobile at all.

As for the phone being so old, I can't imagine using T-Mobile without band 12 and band 71. Make sure that the situation is that your dad does stay put I guess and that he never goes anywhere. T-Mobile coverage is rather tiny without the two bands.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I had an unlocked AT&T S7 Active, and it wouldn't do anything on T-Mobile at all.

As for the phone being so old, I can't imagine using T-Mobile without band 12 and band 71. Make sure that the situation is that your dad does stay put I guess and that he never goes anywhere. T-Mobile coverage is rather tiny without the two bands.
    I don't know about the S7 active, but the AT&T versions of the S7 and S7 edge both had band 12, so they make perfectly fine T-Mo phones.

As to band 71, that's still pretty new, and isn't much of a factor (yet) in many areas. In my household, where we have 5 T-Mo users, only one of us has a phone new enough to have band 71. While it's certainly something I'll probably get on my next phone, I wouldn't avoid a good deal (like a free hand me down S7!) just because a phone didn't have it.

Jeez, if I had to buy a new phone everytime a new band came out, I'd...

... probably have about as many phones as I do now!

P.S. If you are so worried about coverage you're automatically rejecting any phone that doesn't have every possible T-Mo band, I'm not sure you're going to be very happy switching from Verizon to T-Mo!

Using T-Mo means being at peace with the idea that ubiquitous coverage isn't a necessity, or even a priority!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Coveragewise I should be good. I have a Galaxy S8 which has the same bands as the S7 and I get excellent coverage. Is there any negatives to using an unlocked S7 vs a T-Mobile version? I want to make sure wifi calling and VOLTE will work.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Coveragewise I should be good. I have a Galaxy S8 which has the same bands as the S7 and I get excellent coverage. Is there any negatives to using an unlocked S7 vs a T-Mobile version? I want to make sure wifi calling and VOLTE will work.
    Honestly, it's been a few years, but as I recall, I think both WiFi Calling and VoLTE worked with the unbranded firmware. They definitely did NOT when the phone was returned from service with AT&T firmware. If I'm wrong, flashing T-Mo firmware will definitely solve the issue.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So basically it seems like there should be no negative to the unlocked version. And an advantage would be it is able to be used on other carriers.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So basically it seems like there should be no negative to the unlocked version. And an advantage would be it is able to be used on other carriers.
    The only negative is the condensation bug I mentioned earlier (the condensation sensor trips without reason on some unlocked S7's, preventing the device from being recharged via USB cable.) If you go to Samsung's site, they mention the condensation sensor on the S7 support page and cryptically tell you to "contact support" if it doesn't reset itself after a few hours. Flashing any carrier software version hides the problem so the phone can be recharged.