Thread: I have Google Fi already. Can I port another number I have to Google Voice.

Feedback Score

I have Google Fi already. Can I port another number I have to Google Voice.

I want to port an old landline to Google Voice. I know I might have to convert it to mobile first. But can I get this done if I already have Google Fi without screwing up my Google Fi? I can't even access the Google Voice web pages when logged in with my current Google acct. Makes me wonder if I should create another Google acct and use that for porting the old landline to Google Voice. If I do that am I going to be able to access the GV number from my current phone and its Google acct? Ugh! I'm getting dizzy.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    You'll need another gmail account to do what you want. FI becomes your Google Voice. If you ever decide to cancel FI also be prepared to shop around for a way to port that number out. I tried two different MVNO's and they said it was a VOIP number and they couldn't do it. I wasn't married to the number so I just abandoned it and picked another one after leaving FI.

Pretty sure you won't be able to forward a Google Voice number to that FI account either if you were planning on that.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, kind of figured that last part but that's ok. Off topic but the net is I plan to retire outside of the country. I'm wrestling with having U.S. number that will keep U.S. institutions happy and at which I can receive those dang 2FA text codes. I can't guarantee I'll keep the Fi number going in retirement overseas and I worry that Google Fi might cancel the acct. if it hasn't pinged a U.S tower in ages. I don't care if I have the Google Voice number do nothing but voicemails, emails, etc. Don't care about it being used for live calls. So if I'm on an android phone under my primary Google acct can I still get to the GV's emails, etc?

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Just forward that 2nd Google email to your primary Google account and that would be the easiest way to see messages etc. from that 2nd account.

I usually handle settings and such using Chrome on a pc and just add the 2nd account then when you go to a Google service page for any service you click on the account icon and all the accounts you have linked show in the drop down.