Thread: Can I get a new number for old sim after porting # to new sim?

Feedback Score

Can I get a new number for old sim after porting # to new sim?

I have an old phone with speedtalk 1 year prepaid SIM, I have 7 months left on it

Just got a new phone and decided to get more data, bought a mint 8gb sim, have not activated yet

My plan was to port my current # to the mint sim, then get a new # for the speedtalk sim to use in my old phone

I called Speedtalk CS, they told me that once I port my number out, then the sim can't be used anymore and I can't get a new number

Is this a blanket rule for sims?

Is there a way around that?

thanks!

Feedback Score
    I believe Speedtalk is on T-mobile... their SIMs are typically one and done, no re-use if the account is canceled or ported out. Sprint, Verizon and I think in come cases ATT can be re-used.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    bikebreak, your question reminds me of this thread. That might answer your question at least partly.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebreak View Post
    My plan was to port my current # to the mint sim, then get a new # for the speedtalk sim to use in my old phone
    thanks!
    You may want to check the carrier's terms and conditions regarding what would happen to the remaining balance after you port the number out of an active phone. When I ported my number out of T-Mobile (PayGo), the account was closed automatically and the balance was gone.

Feedback Score
    As far as I know, there are only 2 carriers that allow you to keep a balance or plan when porting out your number:
    Old FreedomPop (I have not seen confirmation that this is still possible after Red Pocket took over FreedomPop GSM.)
    And Tracfone.
    If anyone is aware of others, I'd enjoy hearing about it.

Industry standard is that any plan or remaining balance if forfeited on port-out, but it's the choice of the provider. There is nothing that prevents a provider from allowing it if they wish. (It's just a bookkeeping thing.)

The need to replace the SIM is a different question,and is generally tied to the underlying mother network: GSM SIMs are generally not reusable: but if the provider chooses to allow it, a balance or plan could be retained and be transferred to a new SIM.
    Sprint and Verizon network SIMs can generally be re-used: but it does not follow that a provider will necessarily allow one to keep an existing balance or plan.