Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Can a phone number be broken.

So I have been going back and forth with Verizon for almost 6 months about an issue where calls go straight to voicemail on my iPhone XS Max. It did not matter where I was at or the strength of the signal. Calls would go straight to voicemail until I either toggled airplane mode on and off or restarted the phone. I had no issues making calls or sending or receiving texts, email, or data. It was only receiving calls. They would not show up in my call log but I got an alert if someone left a voicemail. (Call forwarding is disabled and DND was not on). Submitted multiple network tickets and Verizon said network was fine and itís an Apple issue. Called Apple and they said the iPhone is fine and itís a Verizon issue. So I bought a galaxy s10. The next day I had the same issue. I even switched phones with my girlfriend and while she had my phone with her number/SIM card it was fine but while I had her phone with my number/SIM card the same thing happened. I returned the galaxy s10. As a last resort the only thing they could recommend was for me to switch carriers and come back after 50 days with a brand new account. So I switched to AT&T. Overall I really like the coverage but it was a little weak indoors. I had no issues for the two months I was with AT&T. So I switched back to Verizon and after about 3 weeks the issue started happening again. I then switched back to AT&T and I have not had any more issues. The whole time i was porting my number back and fourth cause I have had it for 15 years and donít want a new number. Verizon also did suggest getting a new number would likely solve the issue as well but as stated I didnít want to do that.

So I guess what Iím asking is it possible for a phone number to be broken somehow but only in Verizonís system. I even ported over to xfinity mobile at one time and still had the same calls going to voicemail issue but I never had a single issue with that while I was with AT&T.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I honestly think that only Verizon can resolve this, have you asked to speak with advanced technical support ?? Front line CS reps can only file technical tickets if they cannot resolve the problem, but advanced technical support is the team who works to actually resolve the tickets.

Have you tried to replace your LTE SIM card yet ?

To your question, no your phone # is not broken. Verizon needs to resolve the issue internally. If you can't get a satisfactory solution, demand to speak with a manager. Best wishes, sorry to hear of your problems.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes. I have had multiple advanced reps I have talked too. A network engineer even called me once (his recommendation was to get an android phone, which I did and it still did not solve the issue. I have had multiple SIM card replacements. I have had Verizon talk directly to Apple all with no resolve. I was pretty confident that me switching carriers long enough to start over with a brand new account would solve the issue. Somehow my old account had 14 sub accounts.

I tried everything. Switching phones, SIM cards, Resetting network settings and never got a resolution. It almost got comical at one point. I called Verizon from my cell phone while the issue was happening and she stated that it wasnít even possible for me to be using the phone because it didnít even show up as being active on the network even though I was talking on it and actively using it.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Also one time when I was having the issue I left my house and purposely drove past multiple different towers, was running speed tests (none came back under 30 Mbps) made multiple calls, sent texts and had no problem getting texts or emails. But if I called my cell from a spare number it would go straight to voicemail. It doesnít even show up in the call log as a missed call. Then the second I toggled the phone in and out of airplane mode it worked perfectly for about 2 days till it started doing it again. Sometimes the fix would last for a week or two and other times the fix wouldnít even last 15 minutes.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Since no one can reach you on that number anyway, why not just get another phone number?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    Since no one can reach you on that number anyway, why not just get another phone number?
    Because I believe it could have been fixed. Obviously it was a programming issue in the system somewhere that no one could find. I hoped that a new account would wipe out the issue but some how it followed me. Even the network engineer was baffled by what was happening. My phone would get temporarily de registered from the network for incoming calls somehow completely at random even though outgoing calls and data was still working. They would say my phone wasnít active in the network when it clearly was. I even called him back on my cell phone while according to him my phone was showing as not connected to the network, he had no idea as to how I was able to make calls when it was showing as inactive. They said call forwarding was completely disabled on my account so that wasnít the problem.

When I finally ported my number out to AT&T the problem was resolved.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Glad to here you got it resolved. Sorry to hear it took switching carriers to resolve it.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Glad to here you got it resolved. Sorry to hear it took switching carriers to resolve it.
    Agreed. I didnít think it was a phone number issue either. Itís a back end issue with Verizon and they canít seem to figure out how to fix it. Too late now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Here's someone else having a potentially related issue https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/com...orward_to_911/

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I agree itís something on VZWs end. Iíve worked with both ATT/VZW for around 10 years with approximately 150 lines on each and Iíve had this happen to me also, with VZW. It was never resolved for me either but I can tell you they use multiple databases, like Oracle and the likes. Thereís prob something thatís not getting updated, such as the IMEI in a table cause the issue you explain can happen when IMEI doesnít match what VZW has in database.

ATT seems to poll their network and retrieve correct info and update their tables better than VZW. Sorry itís not a resolution just adding in what I think it may be.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, 3 & 3a; Moto X4, 6 & 7; ZTE R2; iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I wonder if you ported back to Verizon with that number, would the problem reappear or would it not have the issue.
    Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Can a phone number be broken.

In a lot of cases old accounts with old numbers just get reactivated when an old customer comes back.

You could try an account under a friend with a different number or wait about 5 years for Verizon to wipe your profile and number configuration from their system.

Otherwise they are probably just turning on the same old profile with the same old bug.

(Reminds me of a long time ago I had AT&T put a roaming icon on my phone by activating a feature code just so I could see what areas were native and which ones were not. Wouldnít mess with my account like that again.)

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That's a real shame for Verizon to not be able to figure out what is going on with their own network.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jack4 View Post
    That's a real shame for Verizon to not be able to figure out what is going on with their own network.
    In some cases, it's more complex than than just a network/provisioning issue. In some cases there may be some tweaking required on the device itself. It is not always a quick and easy fix. I do agree that they could have done much more to help out the OP.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I donít know much about cellular service. What I do know is that with Sprint and Verizon, being CDMA carriers, you can be using data or voice but not both UNLESS you are simultaneously connected to a WiFi internet connection.

It seems if you were connected to 3G and using a data app (e.g., surfing the web, Find My Friends, Apple Maps, Waze), then your phone would indeed go to voicemail. That happens to me routinely on Sprint. Thus, I wonder if the is a technology limitation of CDMA v. GSM where AT&T is GSM. GSM allows for simultaneous voice and data.

Like I say, my technology knowledge is limited and may be outdated in light of 4G LTE behavior and capabilities

I would love to be educated since I may be in the dark ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast