Thread: T-Mobile partners with carriers and 51 state attorneys general to fight robocalls

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus 64GB and iPhone 11 PRO Max 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile partners with carriers and 51 state attorneys general to fight robocalls

The new partnership includes T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint, as well as several smaller carriers like U.S. Cellular and Charter and 51 state attorneys general. As part of the agreement, the carriers have agreed to deploy STIR and SHAKEN technologies to combat robocalls for their customers. T-Mo first deployed STIR and SHAKEN back in January.

There’s 50 state Attorney Generals and 1 state Attorney General for the District of Columbia which is a U.S Territory. Which is how we get 51 state Attorney Generals when there is only 50 states in the US.

Small excerpt from article below:
    “The new partnership includes T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint, as well as several smaller carriers like U.S. Cellular and Charter and 51 state attorneys general. As part of the agreement, the carriers have agreed to deploy STIR and SHAKEN technologies to combat robocalls for their customers. T-Mo first deployed STIR and SHAKEN back in January.”
    Manners cost nothing, and also have the added benefit of making a man. You know, it is entirely possible to rise above others, without stooping to pushing them under, and putting them down.
    My Sister is a supervisor at T-Mobile's Salem Oregon Call center. Loyal T-Mobile customer of 15 Years.

Feedback Score
    if they could find a way to detect all spoof calls and block those, and then also add to the list every single phone number associated with every single telemarketer (including all the so-called charities and political poll organizations), that would be a good start.

And then block these by default with every new account. Make it easy to opt-in to receive these scam calls if you choose.. But safely assume that most would want to never know they even existed.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Why not make this a crime? Harassment. And prosecute the scammers who outright are stealing money?
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    Why not make this a crime? Harassment. And prosecute the scammers who outright are stealing money?
    It already is a crime and the FTC pursues and prosecutes as many as they can. Problem is that most of the calls originate from other countries where we have no jurisdiction. Gaining jurisdiction and extradition for this by international treaty is highly unlikely.

Spam calls are estimated to be 85 BILLION! a year world wide, 26 billion in the US alone. It's an insurmountable problem to solve just by legislation, investigation and prosecution.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It already is a crime and the FTC pursues and prosecutes as many as they can. Problem is that most of the calls originate from other countries where we have no jurisdiction. Gaining jurisdiction and extradition for this by international treaty is highly unlikely.

Spam calls are estimated to be 85 BILLION! a year world wide, 26 billion in the US alone. It's an insurmountable problem to solve just by legislation, investigation and prosecution.
    Telemarketing for politicians so-called charities (sorry, I don't consider it to be a charity if telemarketers are getting rich off it and if I have indicated I don't want these calls, this means charities too).

This is a loophole that makes it legal for these nasty individuals to keep harassing us by our phone lines, and I'd like it closed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

26 billion annual phone calls to the USA is 49, 467 phone call a minute. and if they originate outside the US then US telecoms get very little income from it. Am I being depried because of 49,467 spam calls every minute? Because if I am, then I'm unwillingly subsidizing these calls.