Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: new charges

Feedback Score

new charges

T-Mobile prepping updates to Assisted Support and SIM card charges, leaked docs show - https://www.tmonews.com/2019/08/t-mo...-card-charges/

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It had been so long since I had purchased a new device from T-Mo directly, I had no idea the "Uncarrier" I'd been using for nearly two decades pulled this kind of crap.

Recently, my wife wanted a phone with a longer battery life, so I decided to grab her a Moto E5 Plus several months ago, and thought I'd throw my local T-Mo store a bone and grab it there, rather then buy online.

It was a straight cash and carry deal- no support needed, no asking for help in transferring contacts and pictures etc.- just "gimme an E5 Plus, here's my Mastercard..."

The guy rings up the sale and adds the $25. I see it and ask what's that and he explains, so I ask him to remove it, since I required no assistance and didn't even need a SIM (I'd be transferring my wife's to the new phone) and he explains he's not allowed to.

So, I tell him sorry, I didn't know, and ask him to refund the phone and I'll just buy online, and he threatens me with a restocking fee! (I haven't even opened the box yet! I'm still at the sales counter!) I'm LIVID at this point, so I call T-Mo CS standing right there in the store and tell them to credit me the either the $25 or the restocking fee immediately or I'm cancelling my T-Mo service. They put a $25 courtesy credit on my bill immediately, and took the phone.

I'll never use a T-Mo store again as long as they charge baloney fees like this, and, looking at that new fee list in the link, I think they have a lot of nerve charging the fee to BYOD customers! T-Mo should be thankful to get a new customer without charging them $20-30/line to join up!

(As it turned out, my wife loved the E5 Plus battery life, but hated the lousy camera, so I bought her a Google Pixel 3A directly from Google, even though T-Mo's website and stores sell it for the same price. "Fool me once...")

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Samung S9 Plus Factory unlocked OnePlus 6T Galaxy tab A GSM
    Carrier(s)
    TMOBILE USA ,ORANGE SPAIN
    Feedback Score
    Never go to the store with t mobile they are not allowed to waive the sim card fee (Activation FEE) i always deal with them via phone and the fee is always waived for upgrades and new activation's... Further more when u walk into the store they try to sell you the Brooklyn bridge since the associates work on commission and they are constantly getting their chops broken by management to push the extras (insurance accessories and all the other BS... They are under a daily sales matrix and have to meet daily sales goals. All carriers pull the same BS when u walk into the store

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    It had been so long since I had purchased a new device from T-Mo directly, I had no idea the "Uncarrier" I'd been using for nearly two decades pulled this kind of crap.

Recently, my wife wanted a phone with a longer battery life, so I decided to grab her a Moto E5 Plus several months ago, and thought I'd throw my local T-Mo store a bone and grab it there, rather then buy online.

It was a straight cash and carry deal- no support needed, no asking for help in transferring contacts and pictures etc.- just "gimme an E5 Plus, here's my Mastercard..."

The guy rings up the sale and adds the $25. I see it and ask what's that and he explains, so I ask him to remove it, since I required no assistance and didn't even need a SIM (I'd be transferring my wife's to the new phone) and he explains he's not allowed to.

So, I tell him sorry, I didn't know, and ask him to refund the phone and I'll just buy online, and he threatens me with a restocking fee! (I haven't even opened the box yet! I'm still at the sales counter!) I'm LIVID at this point, so I call T-Mo CS standing right there in the store and tell them to credit me the either the $25 or the restocking fee immediately or I'm cancelling my T-Mo service. They put a $25 courtesy credit on my bill immediately, and took the phone.

I'll never use a T-Mo store again as long as they charge baloney fees like this, and, looking at that new fee list in the link, I think they have a lot of nerve charging the fee to BYOD customers! T-Mo should be thankful to get a new customer without charging them $20-30/line to join up!
    I have the exact same story, word for word.

Fortunately, none of this is rocket science. Although, I really don't want esim. Sorry. No matter what, it will make difficult (at best) or end up costing me money (at the worst) simply to change phones.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    A few years ago JL was making fun of the other 3 regarding upgrade fees. This is highway robbery at its finest. I havent purchased a phone from Tmobile in years. Just go to Samsung or Apple and buy it there. They even offer financing. T-mobile is becoming like att and verizon. Im happy I have my plan and will keep it as long as I can, but if i was a new customer I would probably go with Verizon or a cheap prepaid like cricket or metro. Just my 2 cents

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    The pulled this same BS on me a couple of years ago. I went to the store for an iPhone promo that is ONLY AVAILABLE IN STORE, since it was a trade-in. Buy the new phone, leave your old phone there and set up new EIP. Pretty simple RETAIL TRANSACTION that shouldn't incur any additional free since I was agreeing to a new EIP program (good for them since I will be a "stickier" customer) and an otherwise decent profit margin on a new device.

But instead of a win-win for them, they also tacked on $25 to make it a "win-win-win" for them. I called CS before leaving the parking lot, and they provided the $25 courtesy credit. Which really brings me to the real question:

WHY - T-Mobile - WHY must you resort to the same tactics that the cable companies and land-line telephone companies use(d)?

If I decide to buy new iPhones this year and they aren't from Costco ('cause they've yet to add this garbage), they will be on another carrier since I am also not going to play the same add-a-line game any more.

Business 101 would suggest: Treat your customers as valued customers and not cash cows -- otherwise the cows will go pasture somewhere else!

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    WHY - T-Mobile - WHY must you resort to the same tactics that the cable companies and land-line telephone companies use(d)?
    Sadly, the obvious answer there, is that it beloved T-Mobile it's really just another wireless company, and the whole "Uncarrier" thing is just moderately clever marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    Business 101 would suggest: Treat your customers as valued customers and not cash cows -- otherwise the cows will go pasture somewhere else!
    True, but Business 101 also suggests that to *look* consumer friendly, you only have to be slightly less sleazy than your competition. T-Mo probably fits that description.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but that's the kind of stuff that losing wireless competitors to mergers and acquisitions subjects us to, just like with airlines. The fewer number of major players, the easier it becomes for all of us to accept crap like airline baggage fees or wireless upgrade fees as normal, because "everybody's doing it"...

Feedback Score
    This is good to know because I am going into a T-Mobile store to switch from Verizon tomorrow.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    It makes sense.. i support it. In a world of technology you should be self sufficient, specially if you have a smartphone. Tmo does provide all the tools needed. why walk into a store and bother the fine people with a payment, or a new phone or a sim card... leave this people alone.. leave this people to help non-savvy ones.
    Everyone in reddit or here in HF should never go to a store.. if you have a smartphone and able to create an account in either forum, you are quite capable of using the online tools Tmo provide.

I have not talked to a real person or walk into a store since the iphone 6. Workers need to get paid, so the 25 charge is perfectly understandable. heck, i have not even call 611 lately.. maybe they changed it back to that girl-voice from 4 years ago?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    It makes sense.. i support it. In a world of technology you should be self sufficient, specially if you have a smartphone. Tmo does provide all the tools needed. why walk into a store and bother the fine people with a payment, or a new phone or a sim card... leave this people alone.. leave this people to help non-savvy ones.
    Everyone in reddit or here in HF should never go to a store.. if you have a smartphone and able to create an account in either forum, you are quite capable of using the online tools Tmo provide.

I have not talked to a real person or walk into a store since the iphone 6. Workers need to get paid, so the 25 charge is perfectly understandable. heck, i have not even call 611 lately.. maybe they changed it back to that girl-voice from 4 years ago?
    Every time I switch phones, something goes wrong on my account and I have to call in to tech support--who tells me, "let's get you a new SIM card. We'll mark it on your account; just head into your local store and they'll take care of it, no charge."

So yes, I do need the local stores if I don't want to wait for T-Mo to send me the SIM card they themselves have declared I need.

But let's also look at the whole BS of them selling phones. They advertise one price-the retail price-but won't let you walk out for that price. If you do a simple retail transaction of you giving them $1000 and them giving you a shrink-wrapped box, they insist on getting another $25 out of you and calling it a "support fee".

That's pure greed and BS, nothing more. T-Mobile is in pure Re-Carrier mode, just another Verizon.

Wait until they try to monetize the ESim process, which of course they undoubtedly will.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    Every time I switch phones, something goes wrong on my account and I have to call in to tech support--who tells me, "let's get you a new SIM card. We'll mark it on your account; just head into your local store and they'll take care of it, no charge."

So yes, I do need the local stores if I don't want to wait for T-Mo to send me the SIM card they themselves have declared I need.

But let's also look at the whole BS of them selling phones. They advertise one price-the retail price-but won't let you walk out for that price. If you do a simple retail transaction of you giving them $1000 and them giving you a shrink-wrapped box, they insist on getting another $25 out of you and calling it a "support fee".

That's pure greed and BS, nothing more. T-Mobile is in pure Re-Carrier mode, just another Verizon.

Wait until they try to monetize the ESim process, which of course they undoubtedly will.
    The upcoming fees for sims, esims, and support have been posted and discussed in another thread here on HoFo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    The upcoming fees for sims, esims, and support have been posted and discussed in another thread here on HoFo.
    How does that matter to my comment about waiting for them to monetize the whole ESim process?

They may have plans for ESim tomorrow. Next month, next year--totally different.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Workers need to get paid at Best Buy and Walmart, too. If I ask the managers at those stores if they rather I not "bother them" with my annoying cash and carry transaction, and buy from Amazon instead, what do you think those retailers would say?

I'm not asking for support from T-Mo, I'm asking to purchase a product (that they sell for a profit!) and walk away. If they rather I'd buy elsewhere, I'm more than happy to oblige!

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Workers need to get paid at Best Buy and Walmart, too. If I ask the managers at those stores if they rather I not "bother them" with my annoying cash and carry transaction, and buy from Amazon instead, what do you think those retailers would say?
    esim is all barcode, point-and-shoot barcode, it will be free. sim change, you can do that now online free. order phones, sim, earbuds, all kinds of stuff is online with no store fee.
    If walmart or retailers start charging for going to walmart.. a $25 store fee.. then yes, amazon is your huckleberry.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    esim is all barcode, point-and-shoot barcode, it will be free. sim change, you can do that now online free. order phones, sim, earbuds, all kinds of stuff is online with no store fee.
    If walmart or retailers start charging for going to walmart.. a $25 store fee.. then yes, amazon is your huckleberry.
    So, do you think it's a just a coincidence T-Mo switched from a $25 SIM charge to a $20 customer support fee and a $10 SIM just as they started supporting eSIM?

This way, they can still charge $20 to any eSIM users that can't figure out how to add/swap eSIMs online.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast