Thread: Tower congestion

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score

Tower congestion

When a tower is congested will all working bands be affected somewhat evenly? Not sure if having newer bands on the phone really makes much difference in this scenario?

Thanks!!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If a tower is congested, it doesn't really matter which band you are using.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    So it pretty much boils down to whether or not, or how much you are de-prioritized?

Feedback Score
    at my house my unlimited att hotspot does 30mbps-40mbps at night (11pm-8am) after that i get 1mbps about i tried to buy this giant antenna and it didnt seem to help at all. I wonder if i could some how connect to a further away tower to change this factor but i gave up pretty quick, now i have 100$ antenna and 50$ smb cables oops. So i save my downloading till nighttime and get it all done then.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    It depends. If you have a phone with many bands and CA, it can't hurt. Particularly if your phone has some band the others don't.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    It depends. If you have a phone with many bands and CA, it can't hurt. Particularly if your phone has some band the others don't.
    I am thinking of getting a phone with better band coverage to solve the same problem here. What particular band is new and unique nowadays if there's any?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight27 View Post
    I am thinking of getting a phone with better band coverage to solve the same problem here. What particular band is new and unique nowadays if there's any?
    The answer would be carrier and location specific. If I lived in a place like NYC and used T-Mobile, I'd want to have LTE bands 2/25, 4/66, 12, 71 & 46 for now, with band 41 assuming the Sprint merger will go through. I'd also want 5G and > 3CA. This would pretty much limit my choice to the $1300 Galaxy 10 5G. Since I don't live in NYC, I get by with a much less expensive Moto G7 Power, which has all the LTE bands except 46 and 2CA.

For other carriers the list is different. IMHO, the Moto G7 Play is a decent choice for most carriers and situations and costs a whole lot less than $1300.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score

Tower congestion

Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    If a tower is congested, it doesn't really matter which band you are using.
    On Sprint if you are further from the tower you are most likely on Band 26 only.

If most other subscribers are a distance from the tower they also will be on Band 26. Band 26 has a maximum capacity and throughput so it will be congested more quickly.

So I argue it is possible for a tower to have tons Bandwidth available to give subscribers, but as in Sprint case, it needs to feed it to the subscribers in tiny Coffee Straws. The frequency band can become the bottleneck more so than the tower congestion.

Therefore you want Band 26 so the frequency reaches you. You want Band 41 for the Super Fast speeds since Band 41 is more a fat-pipe. You want Band 25 because that is Sprint’s historical mid-range band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    The answer would be carrier and location specific. If I lived in a place like NYC and used T-Mobile, I'd want to have LTE bands 2/25, 4/66, 12, 71 & 46 for now, with band 41 assuming the Sprint merger will go through. I'd also want 5G and > 3CA. This would pretty much limit my choice to the $1300 Galaxy 10 5G. Since I don't live in NYC, I get by with a much less expensive Moto G7 Power, which has all the LTE bands except 46 and 2CA.

For other carriers the list is different. IMHO, the Moto G7 Play is a decent choice for most carriers and situations and costs a whole lot less than $1300.
    There's a local guy who got Moto G7 Play and mentioned how good it is for the coverage.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight27 View Post
    There's a local guy who got Moto G7 Play and mentioned how good it is for the coverage.
    The difference between the Play and Power models is mostly battery size.