Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Simplest Phone Experience Of All Time?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Here's a page about unlocked phones, and related issues.

https://www.androidauthority.com/wha...-phone-960359/

Very informative, and also does a good job of illustrating how ridiculously complicated the cell phone industry is. As I do this research I'm gaining a much better appreciation of how much people want to talk to each other. It's sort of amazing that SO MANY people are willing to deal with all this razmataz just to go mobile, considering that landline phones have been pretty much getting the job done for about a century. I don't even want a cellphone, and here I am dealing with it too. Now that is REALLY amazing! :-)

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Keep in mind that you don't even need an active account to call 911. You can use any compatible phone. You probably need an LTE phone to have the best coverage. This won't allow you to call your wife or the towing company.

My suggestion for someone looking for minimal mobile service when driving and hiking is to buy a Tracfone MyFlip for $15-$20 (e.g. Best Buy) then activate it, not on Tracfone but rather on PagePlus as a PAYG (Pay As You Go). Add a $10 top up every 120 days to keep it alive and accrue a credit balance. Total cost ~$32/year. This is a talk and text plan, no data. For more information, check out the PagePlus forum in the US Prepaids section.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hi there, many thanks for your suggestions. Here's what I've found so far:

Review of PagePlus:
    https://www.tomsguide.com/us/page-pl...view-4507.html

Which says in part:

What do customers say about Page Plus?

Page Plus has an A from the Better Business Bureau, but that seems grossly misleading when three of the four reviews are negative and have not been resolved. Parent company TracFone Wireless has an A+, but reviews are overwhelmingly negative.
    Reviews of Tracfone:

https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/miami/prof...stomer-reviews

I'm not posting this to be argumentative, as clearly I am not in a position to debate anything about cell phones. Just trying to explain, this is what I run in to when ever I get a promising lead, lots and lots of unhappy people.

All that said, you've suggested a $32 purchase, so there's not that much to lose no matter what happens. Well, not that much money to lose.

I guess I need to just make peace with the reality that the cellphone industry is a shark tank, and either jump in to the tank or walk away. Looking for a professional company may be a fool's errand.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So for instance, here's the Amazon reviews of the MyFlip:

https://www.amazon.com/Tracfone-Alca.../dp/B07GBRB55Z

Reviews are very mixed, here's the breakdown:

--------
    167 reviews
    45% - 5 star
    30% - 1 star
    --------

Clearly some people are happy, but a significant number are not.

And then there's stuff like this (see first review):

However upon charging it up, the first screen that pops up is a lengthy user agreement that one must approve before the phone will be activated. This phone is a KaiOS, made in China and according to their Wikipedia page is fully connected to Google, Facebook and multiple other sites that have nothing to do with cell phone service. In addition, part of the user agreement requires approval for KaiOS and their partners to share your personal information and any data transmitted with unknown third parties.
    Again, the point here is NOT that your suggestion is a bad one, but that to a novice it appears that EVERYTHING related to cellphones is of this general nature, junky, troublesome, problematic. If that's true, then your suggestion to spend as little as possible is actually a good suggestion.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Clueless Guy View Post
    Hello there PhoneGods!

The simplest phone, the simplest plan, the least number of hassles and problems. Just a regular normal old fashioned simple pimple phone, that isn't tethered to a wall. How do I get there?

Thanks!

I have a TracFone (spare) in each of the glovebox or my vehicles.
    Cost is $59.00 per year. Includes 1500 texts/minutes/1.5 data. One year service.
    Each year I get a new phone. All texts/minutes, data, phone number is transferred.
    So it is $59.00 for a spare phone each year and I get a new phone each year.

I turn phone on once per month and make a call - to make sure phone is charged and it can make calls.
    Been doing this for over a decade now. Note: there is a way to get a one year TracFone card for $50.00 and keep the current phone. But for $9.00 more I get a new phone.

If someone has a cheaper way - then please post.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hi there, many thanks for your suggestions. Here's what I've found so far:

Review of PagePlus:
    I guess I need to just make peace with the reality that the cellphone industry is a shark tank, and either jump in to the tank or walk away. Looking for a professional company may be a fool's errand.
    So for instance, here's the Amazon reviews of the MyFlip:
    Again, the point here is NOT that your suggestion is a bad one, but that to a novice it appears that EVERYTHING related to cellphones is of this general nature, junky, troublesome, problematic. If that's true, then your suggestion to spend as little as possible is actually a good suggestion.
    OK, you didn't state that you wanted a phone that would take a lot of abuse or that you needed a warm and understanding customer service experience. You wanted a phone for minimal use, perhaps a flip phone, maybe prepaid. I provided a suggestion for the base-line low-usage plan with Verizon coverage.

If you need good customer service in a prepaid brand that has decent coverage, I'd suggest Consumer Cellular. They market to older consumers who expect and need better customer service. Their coverage is based on AT&T. Basic plans run about $25/mo. You'd need to either buy a phone from them or use an unlocked phone that's compatible with AT&T.

It's kind of up to you if you want to spend $32/year or $300/year for a phone you don't intend to use very often.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    OK, you didn't state that you wanted a phone that would take a lot of abuse or that you needed a warm and understanding customer service experience.
    I don't need a phone that will take a lot of abuse, and I don't wish to be connected to customer service at all. If I have to wrestle with customer service to get a phone to work (have read many reports of this) I'll likely solve the problem by tossing the phone and forgetting about going mobile.

You wanted a phone for minimal use, perhaps a flip phone, maybe prepaid.
    Yes, correct to all of that. I'm pretty sold on flip phones (for me, not everybody) and still trying to understand pre-paid.

I provided a suggestion for the base-line low-usage plan with Verizon coverage.
    And I thank you for that suggestion, which I have no complaint with at all, which I tried to make clear. What I was trying to say instead is that when I research any suggestion by any person on any forum, what I always seem to find are lots of people very unhappy with whatever is being discussed. To be clear, not everyone is unhappy, just lots of people. Lots and lots of folks, very unhappy.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the problem is that I'm looking for a company which is widely respected, and that such things may not exist in the cell phone industry. That is, my expectations may not be realistic.

If you need good customer service in a prepaid brand that has decent coverage, I'd suggest Consumer Cellular. They market to older consumers who expect and need better customer service.
    I thought this very thing myself. Really, I did! They do seem specifically targeted on my needs, and they have a well presented website, including many instructional videos etc. They sell the phone I prefer (at the moment). A week ago I thought I'd found my solution. And then I screwed up, and began to research them. Here's what I found:

https://bestcompany.com/cell-phones/...sumer-cellular

If it interests you, you can scroll through the user reviews and see how many of them are written by folks who are really pissed off. Not everybody, but a quite substantial number.

Again, please allow me to emphasize that I'm not saying you made a bad suggestion. Instead, I'm saying there may not be any good suggestions available, or at least that's what it looks like to me so far.

I will admit I'm likely quite different than most users. While most people are probably very interested in the array of 10,000 smart phone features, I don't care about any of that. All that stuff is a negative to me, not a positive.

I'm also not that focused on the price. All the flip phones seem reasonable to me. As do most of the low usage plans.

However, what I am all wound up about is a simple, hassle free experience. That is, the same kind of experience I've had with a landline for 50 years. It always works, every single time. The bill is consistent and reliable. I never have to contact customer service for anything. To me, just one clueless geezer's opinion, this is far more appealing than 10,000 features on an unreliable smart phone from some unreliable company.

Ok, maybe I have unrealistic expectations of the cell phone realm, I'm receptive to such a theory. If that's what's happening, then ok, I just need to decide how bad I want to go mobile. Am I willing to put up with some BS? Maybe a lot of BS? Nobody can really help me answer that.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
    I have a TracFone (spare) in each of the glovebox or my vehicles.
    Cost is $59.00 per year. Includes 1500 texts/minutes/1.5 data. One year service.
    Each year I get a new phone. All texts/minutes, data, phone number is transferred.
    So it is $59.00 for a spare phone each year and I get a new phone each year.
    Thanks for this.

1) Do you buy the phone and service directly from Tracfone? On their website? However you do this business, could you describe it please?

2) If you care to share, why do you buy a new phone every year? Not a debate, just a question, that's all.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My suggestion for someone looking for minimal mobile service when driving and hiking is to buy a Tracfone MyFlip for $15-$20 (e.g. Best Buy) then activate it, not on Tracfone but rather on PagePlus as a PAYG (Pay As You Go). Add a $10 top up every 120 days to keep it alive and accrue a credit balance. Total cost ~$32/year. This is a talk and text plan, no data. For more information, check out the PagePlus forum in the US Prepaids section.
    Ok, so I'm starting to see the beauty of this idea. Even if it turns out the phone and service are worst case scenario, it's only a $32 gamble, so why sweat it. Ok, I'll head to the forum section you suggest, and thanks again.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Here's what appears to be the cheapest PagePlus plan.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/the-12/

QUESTION: How would I purchase access to somebody's network with no possibility of overcharge fees?

In my ideal fantasy world I'm looking for something like this. I walk in to say, Walmart, and buy a phone and a card containing minutes. When the minutes run out, I buy another card.

No account. No plan. No bill. No credit card given to any provider.

Buy phone, pop in card, start talking.

Possible?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You want to use prepaid service, take your pick of providers. No overage charges, no contracts, no need to have a credit card # saved by the provider. I suggest a carrier using At&t Mobility networks as it gives you more flexibility about which phone you want to BYO (Bring your Own). You will be limited to whatever carrier's network you choose, you won't be able to switch networks freely with any carrier (for instance, can't switch from At&t's network and use Verizon's network by selecting through the phone's settings).
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Of course it's prepaid.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Of course it's prepaid.
    Do you really think I was unaware of that ?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Do you really think I was unaware of that ?
    I was responding to OP.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Here's what appears to be the cheapest PagePlus plan.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/the-12/
    This is the PagePlus plan I was suggesting: https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/10-standard-pin/
    Very few minutes but they accrue as long as you keep the plan active. Top-up required every 120 days. As a back-up or exigency-only phone it would cost about $32/year
    QUESTION: How would I purchase access to somebody's network with no possibility of overcharge fees?
    Prepaid where you don't register a credit card is like this. You pay for so much and when you run out, you're cut off.
    In my ideal fantasy world I'm looking for something like this. I walk in to say, Walmart, and buy a phone and a card containing minutes. When the minutes run out, I buy another card.

No account. No plan. No bill. No credit card given to any provider.

Buy phone, pop in card, start talking.

Possible?
    I think all prepaid plans require some sort of registration to identify the owner of the account and avoid criminal use.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast