Thread: Good reason to choose and keep Verizon Wireless

Device(s)
    LG G7 (main), ZTE Z223, Samsung Factor & Galaxy Prime
    Carrier(s)
    VZW (main), AT&TWS, Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    There are also apps to alert you to these kinds of events. I am on a Verizon MVNO (not Xfinity) and found the WEA messages did not work either. So some searching around and found Severe Weather! https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...15662029086771 . 'The data is collected from governmental weather services.... Warning types per country. USA: Fire, Geological, Heat, Freeze, Freezing rain, Freezing fog, Snow, Blowing snow, Winter weather, Sleet, Avalanche, Thunderstorm, Cyclone, Wind, Tornado, Visibility, Air stagnation, Waves, Tsunami, Beach, Flood, Low water, Ice accretion, Marine, Special weather, Civil, Law, Health, Infrastructure.' Free, there is a paid version without ads.

I have had this app for a few months and it works well, at least so far for summer thunderstorm and heat warnings in my area as other types of events have not yet occurred locally since having the app. Whenever an alert comes through, a fog horn sounds on your phone (which can be disabled with option of vibration). I experimented with a few apps before settling on this one, but there may be others too.
    Last edited by spurkcell; 08-19-2019 at 03:57 AM.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (main), ZTE Z223, Samsung Factor & Galaxy Prime
    Carrier(s)
    VZW (main), AT&TWS, Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    Actually it's the other way around. The carriers like Verizon, AT&T etc don't allow the MVNO's to publicly state what network they are using. Basically they can't use the actually carrier name but it's common see designations such as GSM-A or CDMA-V or something similar. Some also use a map color to designate each network.
    If you cannot figure out from the coverage map which network the MVNO is on, check out the list of phones it offers for sale on its website and compare that to the database on phones at phonescoop.com.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon AT&T Dual SIM
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    When I had xfinity mobile (iphone X), I got emergency and amber alerts.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Virtual network

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    THEIR Network? Xfinity doesn't have a network so that CS rep is a moron.
    I'm used to 'virtual networks' from years of using the likes of Sprint. At times much of Sprint's geographic coverage nationally was achieved by roaming-- and at times, all included. i.e. the old free and clear america plans and the like. Folks with some experience would instantly recognize portions of coverage. i.e. Ah, they use Verizon for these counties, or US Cellular or whatever. So yes, the virtual operators do describe things as their network even though they only re-sell airtime/data on someone else's.

Interesting to note in this specific case, Xfinity network (which by all rights is just Verizon network), lacks a feature (WEA gov't alerts) that Verizon's own customers do receive.
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I’m on ATT and I’ve never received any alert, not even severe weather alerts. Pretty crappy. No clue why I never have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Not intended behavior

Quote Originally Posted by tekjunkie28 View Post
    I’m on ATT and I’ve never received any alert, not even severe weather alerts. Pretty crappy. No clue why I never have.
    Agreed. I'm coming to the thought process from various posts that my experience is anomalous. For example, other xfinity mobile users in other parts of the US who do receive WEA alerts. So it's broken (in my and your case).

I presume a top tier carrier like ATT or Verizon would take up the issue (or one hopes they would). Calling xfinity is like trying to call google for general tech support. Good luck with that.

Anyway, it's pleasing to me to know that at least the WEA alerts are 'expected' to work.

-Dan

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by tekjunkie28 View Post
    That's odd because I was on AT&T prepaid for about 2 years and I received them. I switched to Verizon prepaid 2 months ago and haven't received any yet but I don't if they aren't working or if there just haven't been any alerts in that time.

Is there a setting on the Iphone where you have to turn the alerts on? On Android you can turn the alerts on or off I believe although I haven't looked for the setting in quite a while.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Root Metrics testing year after year proves that Verizon Wireless has the best overall nationwide coverage, although ATT and T-Mobile have caught-up in some markets.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I get Amber alerts just fine with TracFone-Verizon...
    Personal: Sprint Apple iPhone 6 (A1586) on Sprint Post Paid SERO Premium 500 running iOS 12.4.1 with Sprint 36.1 and PRL 55071 and modem firmware 7.80.04 and SIM card version 63.09a
    Work: Verizon LG G2

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    i had a friend that went to metro pcs and we went to malibu beach this last weekend. and guess what i had service and she didn't. thats why i stay with verizon it works everywhere. and there customer service is pretty awesome to!!! plus i like being able to bill items to my acct as well!!! i am with verizon post paid and i don't get no amber alerts or anything like that. my phone has enough alerts as it is i don't need anymore to drive me crazy. i left t mo because of crap coverage and inconsistent data speeds even with full bars of LTE. there over selling there network and it's to congested.. and verizon has came down on there plans wich is a good thing!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2