Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Good reason to choose and keep Verizon Wireless

I was a Verizon customer for many years. I got lured in to xfinity mobile due to cost-savings. Xfinity mobile is a Verizon MVNO, so the coverage area as been the same.

Anyway, there's a fire near my home town. 50 acres grass fire burned. The area subject to emergency and mandatory evacuation. This is close to my work. My co-workers all received the alert (i.e. normal Verizon or ATT phones). My xfinity mobile did not.

Also I don't know how serious this particular event is (but the fire is not out yet). Anyway, this note is more about making sure one has a device that relays the emergency alerts. -- and Verizon does.

I called xfinity customer service. They indicate their network does not relay any government alerts. i.e. weather emergencies, or amber alerts etc.

So feel good about choosing and staying with Verizon as real Verizon phones did receive the WEA alerts.

-Dan

PS: I also do not know if one can purchase like a weather radio that also squawk's when WEA alert goes out. i.e. some low cost way to add alerting if your carrier does not support.
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    I called xfinity customer service. They indicate their network does not relay any government alerts. i.e. weather emergencies, or amber alerts etc.
    THEIR Network? Xfinity doesn't have a network so that CS rep is a moron.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Interesting. I see it's a division of Comcast. I thought this was only available in the few locations in the US that had Comcast? Not quite an extensive MVNO?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    THEIR Network? Xfinity doesn't have a network so that CS rep is a moron.
    It's a common conceit and deception among MVNOs to hide their actual network status.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have been on Verizon since before it was Verizon Wireless. I do not get government alerts. I think they had a national alert test last week, I didn't get it. They've had other alert tests in the past I don't get. So much for your theory.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You do know that to get those alerts you need it enabled in the settings on your phone right?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    You do know that to get those alerts you need it enabled in the settings on your phone right?
    Yes, I have all alerts enabled except Amber Alerts.

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    It's a common conceit and deception among MVNOs to hide their actual network status.
    Actually it's the other way around. The carriers like Verizon, AT&T etc don't allow the MVNO's to publicly state what network they are using. Basically they can't use the actually carrier name but it's common see designations such as GSM-A or CDMA-V or something similar. Some also use a map color to designate each network.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    Actually it's the other way around. The carriers like Verizon, AT&T etc don't allow the MVNO's to publicly state what network they are using. Basically they can't use the actually carrier name but it's common see designations such as GSM-A or CDMA-V or something similar. Some also use a map color to designate each network.
    A representative of Boost once told me Boost is on an entirely different network from what Virgin Mobile is on, and that its network was much much better as a result.

Do you mean to say that these sort of claims were official Boost / Sprint policy?

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well, they probably aren't supposed to lie like that. Although locally, Boost does have frequent ads with false advertising, claiming they are on a "fast" and "reliable" network while in fact locally Sprint is in fifth place as the slowest and least reliable by a wiiiiide margin (taking hours for texts to get through, and dialup speed data can not be stretched to be considered fast); and of course nationally Sprint is also in fourth place, slowest and least reliable, by a wide margin.

But, there is some silliness with this -- why can't MVNOs just say what carrier they use? I don't know, but they never do. You'll have MVNOs that don't specify at all.. and others that are like "We have blue, red, yellow and pink plan" which makes it pretty obvious which carriers they are, but they can't actually say. One around here that uses US Cellular gets to say they are using the carrier that is headquartered in Chicago but doesn't sell service in Chicago. Yeah.

Edit: AFAIK, though, MVNOs are supposed to also pass through emergency alerts. I don't know if they even have the option not to, I would have thought it was broadcast by the cell site to everyone, not per MVNO, but I guess I don't know that.
    Last edited by hwertz; 08-17-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Seems odd for an mvno to not receive these alerts since I have an assortment of phones that are not on any service plan and still manage to receive these alerts. The only discernible difference is that Xfinity mobile, like many MVNOs, use a custom carrier bundle for iPhones although that in itself should not prevent alerts from being received.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Well, they probably aren't supposed to lie like that. Although locally, Boost does have frequent ads with false advertising, claiming they are on a "fast" and "reliable" network while in fact locally Sprint is in fifth place as the slowest and least reliable by a wiiiiide margin (taking hours for texts to get through, and dialup speed data can not be stretched to be considered fast); and of course nationally Sprint is also in fourth place, slowest and least reliable, by a wide margin.

But, there is some silliness with this -- why can't MVNOs just say what carrier they use? I don't know, but they never do. You'll have MVNOs that don't specify at all.. and others that are like "We have blue, red, yellow and pink plan" which makes it pretty obvious which carriers they are, but they can't actually say. One around here that uses US Cellular gets to say they are using the carrier that is headquartered in Chicago but doesn't sell service in Chicago. Yeah.

Edit: AFAIK, though, MVNOs are supposed to also pass through emergency alerts. I don't know if they even have the option not to, I would have thought it was broadcast by the cell site to everyone, not per MVNO, but I guess I don't know that.
    I figure that an MVNO like Boost (yeah I know it's technically a carrier division not an MVNO) is reliable in a way. You can depend on it to be flat out dead in all but a few places. That's rather consistent.

Device(s)
    Current: iPhone, Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by randamin View Post
    Seems odd for an mvno to not receive these alerts since I have an assortment of phones that are not on any service plan and still manage to receive these alerts. The only discernible difference is that Xfinity mobile, like many MVNOs, use a custom carrier bundle for iPhones although that in itself should not prevent alerts from being received.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Very odd. WEA messages are just broadcast from cell sites in the affected area and any handset that picks them up (like you said, not activated, or even on other carriers) will display them.

Had a long-standing bug with T-Mobile’s femtocell product where WEA messages would come from the region where the switch the femto registered to rather than the femto’s GPS coordinates. Any phone on any carrier in my wireless dead spot would pick up WEA messages from different regions of the country.

I’d say it is equally possible the carrier somehow broke WEA messaging, but that means Verizon handsets wouldn’t get them either. In Colorado T-Mobile WEA was broke for a few months in 2018, for example.

The last bit on this I can think of, WEA messages only come over the cellular networks. If the handset is on wifi calling with no access to a cellular network, WEA messages won’t be received.

Device(s)
    Samsung S7 Edge, S6, S5, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9 + (T-Mobile), S8+ Duos (Intl), S7 Edge International Gold (Unlocked), Samsung S6 U
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Your phone needs to be on network as well. Not sure about wifi, which many totally use at home... much much higher data limits and better reception...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Xfinity mobile phones definitely get the same alerts as all the other carriers. Everyone in my office got this at the same time, including my iPhone Name:  IMG_2660.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  32.8 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast