Thread: HTC M9 only gets edge connection

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score

HTC M9 only gets edge connection

I purchased a t-mobile M9 off ebay that was said to be unlocked. I am using it on Mint (t-mobile mvno) and only getting edge connection. APN set to Mint's instructions but after reboot apn tries to default to the tmobile apn that cannot be deleted.

Any suggestions?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You need to confirm if the phone has the correct LTE network bands. If it does not, nothing you can do to change that. The bands At&t and the bands used on T-Mobile may not match and would explain what is happening to you.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The HTC M9 was a T-mobile phone and it did have the correct bands for Mint (T-mobile mvno). I switched to a Nexus 6 and getting better reception, same sim card and location.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Have technical support do a technical ticket if it can't be resolved over the phone. Best wishes.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 08-26-2019 at 07:53 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    okay, the phone is getting better radio connection to the towers than last summer but now the question is that it is on Android 6.0 and fails every time to run the update.
    Any idea on getting it to update Android?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that the device has been discontinued by both At&t and T-mobile. That phone supports LTE on bands 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 7 / 12 / 13 / 17 / 29 / 30 and no VOLTE (Voice over LTE). Additionally, that device only supported Android 5.0 so not likely you will ever get an OS update to 6.0 unless you manually install it at your own risk. Short answer is that your carrier will not send an OS update, only security updates until 5.0 is no longer supported (which it may not be already). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I believe that phone was released in 2015 or 2016.

You can read more about the phone specifications here: https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=4768

Might be time to consider a phone upgrade.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Keep in mind that the device has been discontinued by both At&t and T-mobile. That phone supports LTE on bands 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 7 / 12 / 13 / 17 / 29 / 30 and no VOLTE (Voice over LTE). Additionally, that device only supported Android 5.0 so not likely you will ever get an OS update to 6.0 unless you manually install it at your own risk.
    Not correct, on multiple counts.

While true that this is an old phone that has not been manufactured or sold for some time now, HTC officially released Nougat (Android 7.0) on this model in late 2016/early 2017 (ref. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_One_M9)

Furthermore, this model also absolutely supports VoLTE, and in fact has been certified for VoLTE use by both AT&T and T-Mobile on their respective networks:

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/dev...ttings-android
    https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, my error in that case. I was going on the information available to me and I did not have those links at the time of my post. I would imagine that the OP moved on after almost 4 months since the last post on this thread.

Based on the age of the phone, I did not think it was fully compatible. Life goes on......