Thread: FreeUP: Is it time to plan what next?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

FreeUP: Is it time to plan what next?

I joined FreeUP's free plan in April mainly because I wanted to keep a number I had with a H2O for cheap. Last month FreeUP reduced the minutes for the free plan from 1000 to 250, which doesn't seem to affect existing free plan subscribers. Today I just discover that FreeUP made two more changes this month - discontinuing coupon printing reward (https://www.nthcircle.com/forum/free...p-has-gone-bad) and paid-plan restructure (https://bestmvno.com/freeupmobile/fr...-for-30-month/
    ). The coupon printing reward change happened at the beginning of the month but I have not tried to print any coupon for at least two weeks so I wasn't aware of it until I visited the NTH Circle Forum and noticed the other change happened a couple of days ago. The flux of changes makes me think that maybe it is time to plan the exit and have it ready.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Is FreeUp going to change people currently on the 1000 free min/text plan?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    Is FreeUp going to change people currently on the 1000 free min/text plan?
    OP stated current subscribers seem to be unaffected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I didn't port in a number so I'm not worried. I'll ride it out till they pull the plug on free.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I always thought it was unwise to port a valuable phone number to any of these free type services. Just asking for trouble. Use google voice instead. No need to ever know or give out the actual carrier (voip) number.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It is just a number that is worth keeping simply because it has very few spam calls. I wouldn't spend a good deal of money doing it and I don't really mind losing it either. Yes, I thought about porting it to GV first but a place that would cost nothing beyond the initial $5 SIM shipping fee while still allows it to be on a mobile phone felt like a good idea to me. I have the FreeUP SIM in a flip phone which stays in my car's grove compartment for the occasion that I need an extra phone for whatever reason. I don't think the phone has been used for more than 20 minutes in the past 4 months.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I was in a similar dilemma few months ago. Deceased family member's paygo cell phone still had almost $100 in credit on it. Didn't expire until Q1 of next year. It was a nice phone number too, ended in a 0100. The phone was only used to call other family members or the house so no one else really knew the number. The plan was special too, tmo's legacy paygo (10˘/min w/out monthly fee). We decided it was best to liquidate the account given it could be sold for nearly 2x face value which would help pay off some debts. I suppose if circumstances were different and many knew and/or called the number, then I'd port it to GV to keep for some time.

As for spam, I'm in chicago and have a number from a small town in idaho as my FU #. I still manage to get a spam call every so often on it. I no longer pick up calls from unrecognized numbers.

Carrier(s)
    LycaMobile, FtreedomPop, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I only use FreeUp to replace my defunct LycaMobile "PayGo" plan which was free incoming texts, 10 cents outgoing, and 5 cents a minute talk with no monthly fee - I mostly used it as a pager and rarely talked on it or texted out. My FreeUp free 1000/1000/0 account is better and cheaper . I use Google Voice so calls and texts go to all my devices.

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    FreeUp, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Last week I signed up for their $10 UT&T + 200 MB of data plan. Still waiting on my sim card shipment from them. I see they have grandfathered the 1000 free plan folks so I'm going to assume they would grandfather paid plans as well. There cheapest paid plan is now $15 UT&T + 500 MB. I'm glad I got in when I did on the $10 plan. I'm not going to sweat it b/c there are still good deals out there with all the other MVNO's.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Funtastic View Post
    Last week I signed up for their $10 UT&T + 200 MB of data plan. Still waiting on my sim card shipment from them. I see they have grandfathered the 1000 free plan folks so I'm going to assume they would grandfather paid plans as well. There cheapest paid plan is now $15 UT&T + 500 MB. I'm glad I got in when I did on the $10 plan. I'm not going to sweat it b/c there are still good deals out there with all the other MVNO's.
    If it's $15 for unlimited tnt with 500mb there are better deals out there now i would hope

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My parents have their home phone with freeup mobile on a ZTE MF279 and use less than 1000 min per month on the $10 ut&t but didn't go with the free plan because going into the account and renewing the plan every month is just too hard and they will forget to renew it and loose their number...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    My parents have their home phone with freeup mobile on a ZTE MF279 and use less than 1000 min per month on the $10 ut&t but didn't go with the free plan because going into the account and renewing the plan every month is just too hard and they will forget to renew it and loose their number...

You could do it for them...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by energyx View Post
    You could do it for them...
    I would not take any risk either if it is my home/main phone. $10/month is a reasonable cost for ut&t.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    I would not take any risk either if it is my home/main phone. $10/month is a reasonable cost for ut&t.
    True... I don't know if anything is cheaper then this especially on AT&T towers but if there is a cheaper option id love to know