Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you unlock a fully paid TMO version phone ?

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

How do you unlock a fully paid TMO version phone ?

Hi

How do you unlock a TMO phone if you have a monthly postpaid account with TMO ?

the phone is fully paid for and was not from an upgrade promo .

Thanks for the info.
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    Hi

How do you unlock a TMO phone if you have a monthly postpaid account with TMO ?

the phone is fully paid for and was not from an upgrade promo .
    Many T-Mobile phones have an unlock request app. If not you call customer service and request an unlock code.
    If it's an iPhone, it has to be synced with iTunes after the request is approved.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    OK.......how long does the TMO sim have to be in the phone before you ask for an unlock ?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    OK.......how long does the TMO sim have to be in the phone before you ask for an unlock ?

Thanks
    40 days. The app works well.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Many T-Mobile phones have an unlock request app. If not you call customer service and request an unlock code.
    If it's an iPhone, it has to be synced with iTunes after the request is approved.
    The iTunes sync is no longer needed. Generally, either switching Airplane Mode on & off, or a power off reboot will suffice. My last two unlocks went through this way One was an SE about 2 years ago, the other just recently was an Xr from the Costco rebate deal in May of this year. Even though it was paid in full, it still was carrier locked to T-Mobile. I guess that's the way Costco gets their T-Mobile inventory shipped to them.

Device(s)
    V9x
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    40 days. The app works well.
    Yes, I have purchased a couple T-Mobile phones from Costco (paid for in full before I walked out the door).

Had to wait 40 days (with my MI SIM in phone, periodic use) before the unlock app would permanently unlock the phone.

The temporary (I believe 30 day) unlock option on the app worked right away (no waiting period).

When I asked the Costco wireless rep why I could not get it unlocked right away (since it was paid for in full), he said it is a T-Mobile policy to have the 40 day waiting period. I believe this is in place to discourage resale...

Hman

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    The iTunes sync is no longer needed. ........., the other just recently was an Xr from the Costco rebate deal in May of this year. Even though it was paid in full, it still was carrier locked to T-Mobile. I guess that's the way Costco gets their T-Mobile inventory shipped to them.
    No. This is Apple's Reseller Flex Policy. Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by hman414 View Post
    ......When I asked the Costco wireless rep why I could not get it unlocked right away (since it was paid for in full), he said it is a T-Mobile policy to have the 40 day waiting period. I believe this is in place to discourage resale...
    He was wrong. It's Apple's Reseller Flex policy. It's a trap many customers fall into. They believe that they are buying and unlocked phone but the phone will lock itself based on the first SIM inserted. If you use a Verizon SIM for a few days the phone will not lock because Verizon was not allowed to lock postpaid phones as a condition of getting band-13.

Device(s)
    V9x
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

He was wrong. It's Apple's Reseller Flex policy. It's a trap many customers fall into. They believe that they are buying and unlocked phone but the phone will lock itself based on the first SIM inserted. If you use a Verizon SIM for a few days the phone will not lock because Verizon was not allowed to lock postpaid phones as a condition of getting band-13.

I purchased Android phones from Costco. I'm not sure how an Apple policy could affect Android phone unlock policy...

Hman

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, I have purchased a couple T-Mobile phones from Costco (paid for in full before I walked out the door).

Had to wait 40 days (with my MI SIM in phone, periodic use) before the unlock app would permanently unlock the phone.

The temporary (I believe 30 day) unlock option on the app worked right away (no waiting period).

When I asked the Costco wireless rep why I could not get it unlocked right away (since it was paid for in full), he said it is a T-Mobile policy to have the 40 day waiting period. I believe this is in place to discourage resale...

Hman
    How many times can you use the temporary unlock ?

Device(s)
    V9x
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    How many times can you use the temporary unlock ?

You can temp unlock 5 times in a 12 month period.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You can temp unlock 5 times in a 12 month period.
    thanks.......

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

The 5 iPhones I have purchased from Costco were not on the Reseller Flex policy, they were locked to T-Mobile. Just for giggles and disappointment, I asked the sales reps to not open the boxes and I put my active Verizon postpaid SIM in each device for their first boot up. All 5 gave the SIM not supported error (2 iPhone 7s in 2017 an iPhone 8 and 2 iPhone XS devices in December 2018).

The devices came with the T-Mobile SIM installed in the phone (reseller flex devices do not), and the ICCID was printed on the label, so I don’t think some third party put the SIM in and booted the phone.

All 5 phones were paid in full, and T-Mobile consistently has told me each time that the phone has to be on the network for 40 days even if paid in full. That’s their stated policy as part of the voluntary agreement with the CTIA (or whatever association it is that the carriers all got behind to lobby for their ability to continue to lock devices). One device did get unlocked as a courtesy for me being a long standing customer that was going out of the country, but even that one was initially denied despite the escalation.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    The 5 iPhones I have purchased from Costco were not on the Reseller Flex policy, they were locked to T-Mobile. Just for giggles and disappointment, I asked the sales reps to not open the boxes and I put my active Verizon postpaid SIM in each device for their first boot up. All 5 gave the SIM not supported error (2 iPhone 7s in 2017 an iPhone 8 and 2 iPhone XS devices in December 2018).

The devices came with the T-Mobile SIM installed in the phone (reseller flex devices do not), and the ICCID was printed on the label, so I don’t think some third party put the SIM in and booted the phone.

All 5 phones were paid in full, and T-Mobile consistently has told me each time that the phone has to be on the network for 40 days even if paid in full. That’s their stated policy as part of the voluntary agreement with the CTIA (or whatever association it is that the carriers all got behind to lobby for their ability to continue to lock devices). One device did get unlocked as a courtesy for me being a long standing customer that was going out of the country, but even that one was initially denied despite the escalation.
    Well, since my Xr and this post says the same thing, I do not believe the Reseller Flex Policy is enabled on Costco sold iPhones. And you do not need, nor did I use, iTunes to complete the unlock. It's been years since that was a requirement. Use a search engine besides Google/Android, LOL.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hman414
    ......When I asked the Costco wireless rep why I could not get it unlocked right away (since it was paid for in full), he said it is a T-Mobile policy to have the 40 day waiting period. I believe this is in place to discourage resale...
    Stopstopstopstopstopstop.

You are conflating two completely different things.

T-Mobile's 40 day waiting period is what's in discussion here, and that has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with Apple, its reseller flex policy, iPhones, etc.

Any T-Mobile branded phone can be unlocked, but a permanent unlock requires that the phone be in use on T-Mo's network for a consecutive 40 day period.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post

All of that is 100% correct.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast