Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cricket data speeds suck

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by energyx View Post
    I'm wondering if it's their DNS or something besides signal/bandwidth.
    It is their new network management policy that immediately deprioritize's your data connection when your phone is connected to a congested AT&T cellular tower.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by idavenport90 View Post
    It is their new network management policy that immediately deprioritize's your data connection when your phone is connected to a congested AT&T cellular tower.
    Do you know when this policy went into effect?

Cricket service has been fine here for years on a 5/100 5gb plan.
    But recently when a line exceeds their 5gb bucket and goes into throttling, data becomes unusable.
    Throttling used to give a reliable 128k, now its almost 0k, web pages often wont load, and at seemingly all hours of the day when network shouldn't be overloaded to cause congestion based deprioritization.

Has anyone been 128k throttled recently and their data was still usable?

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by muu1 View Post
    Do you know when this policy went into effect?

Cricket service has been fine here for years on a 5/100 5gb plan.
    But recently when a line exceeds their 5gb bucket and goes into throttling, data becomes unusable.
    Throttling used to give a reliable 128k, now its almost 0k, web pages often wont load, and at seemingly all hours of the day when network shouldn't be overloaded to cause congestion based deprioritization.

Has anyone been 128k throttled recently and their data was still usable?
    It looks like it went into effect on Aug 11, 2019 since that is when their network management policy's were last revised. Here is the link to their network management policy. https://www.cricketwireless.com/lega...formation.html

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless $30 plan
    Feedback Score
    Wondering if you made the switch and if it went smoothly.
    Any issue going from ATT MVNO to their prepaid?
    Tired of Cricket taking too long to receive SMS as well as Voicemails.
    Looking at Att has a 25/mo prepaid plan right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    I've noticed this too. With Cricket, I would run into places on my commute where Waze/Spotify would simply not work on Unlimited Extra. Over the last month, I've been trying out AT&T prepaid (Unlimited Plus) in parallel. It just works. Same phone - iPhone 8 plus (qualcomm).

I'm not sitting around running speedtests - just trying to use my phone service.

I'm cancelling the Cricket service this month. I've been using Cricket/AIO since the early AIO days. Sep 2013.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by edc415 View Post
    Wondering if you made the switch and if it went smoothly.
    Any issue going from ATT MVNO to their prepaid?
    Tired of Cricket taking too long to receive SMS as well as Voicemails.
    Looking at Att has a 25/mo prepaid plan right now.
    I switched from Cricket to ATT Prepaid a few months back. I went in-store to do it. We have 2 AT&T stores in town -- the first store told me "we can't port from Cricket to AT&T Prepaid because it's the same network." I also got the distinct sense that this particular rep, the only one in the store at the time, was not a fan of doing actual work. I decided to try the other AT&T store in town and they were much more helpful. They told me they'd be glad to do it for me, and they did. They did initially have some issues -- the port completed but I had no data. We waited a bit, but data never came. Eventually they gave me a new SIM and everything was working perfectly. So aside from that little hiccup, everything was fine.

My recommendation is to do the port in-store, and test everything before you leave. Make sure data, SMS, and phone calls work prior to leaving the store. Don't let them give you crap about "it could take up to 24 hours" or something. Just say "that's cool, I'll wait".

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueScreenOfTOM View Post
    I switched from Cricket to ATT Prepaid a few months back. I went in-store to do it. We have 2 AT&T stores in town -- the first store told me "we can't port from Cricket to AT&T Prepaid because it's the same network." I also got the distinct sense that this particular rep, the only one in the store at the time, was not a fan of doing actual work. I decided to try the other AT&T store in town and they were much more helpful. They told me they'd be glad to do it for me, and they did. They did initially have some issues -- the port completed but I had no data. We waited a bit, but data never came. Eventually they gave me a new SIM and everything was working perfectly. So aside from that little hiccup, everything was fine.

My recommendation is to do the port in-store, and test everything before you leave. Make sure data, SMS, and phone calls work prior to leaving the store. Don't let them give you crap about "it could take up to 24 hours" or something. Just say "that's cool, I'll wait".

Makes no sense for the guy to say they cant port from cricket to ATT when they can easily port from ATT to cricket

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    I jumped to Visible from Cricket over the data speeds. (Visible are Verizon). For $40/mo Im getting a heck of a lot faster speeds.. often seeing > 30mbps dl speeds. That said, I did have to message their customer support to get their 5mbps (still faster than I was getting on Cricket) 'throttle' removed.. but easy enough.

Happy to refer if you wish.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless $35/5GB
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lordmuggins View Post
    I jumped to Visible from Cricket over the data speeds. (Visible are Verizon). For $40/mo Im getting a heck of a lot faster speeds.. often seeing > 30mbps dl speeds. That said, I did have to message their customer support to get their 5mbps (still faster than I was getting on Cricket) 'throttle' removed.. but easy enough.

Happy to refer if you wish.
    Visible customer service will cast you away like abandoned island, if you have problems which you will. It is not even 50% reliable service, in fact a very raw deal, there is not in-store human support for any problem, escalating ticket to higher level, etc ...read visible Reddit and follow for a while and you will get it what is the issue. Cast away my friend and no one gives crap. There is no perfect service in any carrier but the bottom line is if it ain’t broke, don’t fix. My 2 cents.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by idavenport90 View Post
    It looks like it went into effect on Aug 11, 2019 since that is when their network management policy's were last revised. Here is the link to their network management policy. https://www.cricketwireless.com/lega...formation.html
    The data connection is COMPLETELY worthless to me now in the NYC area if I am on a train during rush hour. I have a 60 minute commute and my data connection can take 15 minutes to pull up a static webpage. Non-rush hour is no problem and works fine. They deprioritized WAY too much to the point of being worthless during congestion. So crazy. When I need it, it DOES NOT WORK. I'm on the regular 5gb plan, too, which should run at 8mb and should not be depriortized like the 3mb plan.

I've prepaid for another 6 months, but am likely to switch to a T-Mobile plan with military discount which will cost $10 less for the 4 lines and give me at least twice the 8mb download speed and not deprioritize me to the point of not working. If it is no good, I can always go back to ATT, but I may go to ATT prepaid instead. I tried the free T-mobile hotspot last month with my ipad and it was like being on a home wifi connection on the train every morning. My cricket phone was still trying to load the first webpage when I finished deleting 800 work emails on the ipad. What a joke.

Was on ATT post pay since 1999 and switched to Cricket to save money and taxes. It was great for the first 2 years up until now. So great, that I made the mistake of prepaying when I got refill cards at a 15-20% discount. Now, I regret it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3