Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How does T-Mobile's actual coverage compare to AT&T?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Question How does T-Mobile's actual coverage compare to AT&T?

I was looking at a T-Mobile coverage map and it looks like they have pretty stellar coverage, even in remote places of Wyoming for example. Now, AT&T has coverage in those places too, but how does AT&T compare to T-Mobile in real world usage? Is it true that T-Mobile covers 99% of Americans vs AT&T's claim that they are the "best network"?

I live in Albuquerque, NM where AT&T bought Plateau Telecom so that greatly increased coverage in eastern New Mexico. But looking at the coverage maps side by side, it looks like T-Mobile has more coverage than even Verizon. Is this all just a lie?

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility & Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk214 View Post
    Is this all just a lie?
    All carriers overstate their coverage maps, but T-Mobile is notorious for not being accurate.

With that said, in short – yes.
    - Bentley

AT&T's commercial 4G network, with LAA-LTE.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    All carriers overstate their coverage maps, but T-Mobile is notorious for not being accurate.

With that said, in short – yes.
    In Michigan, band 12 does not reach as far as they claim. Far out enough, one bar out of 4 on an iPhone is completely unusable. No data or SMS/MMS. Calls either struggle to go through or stay connected, or both. Phone seems to hang onto band 4 or 2 for dear life, even if unusable, before it switches to band 12. So yeah, I agree with you on that.

My grandma’s is the perfect place to test all 4 carriers. Verizon does best. Consistent signal for the most part with usable data. Not great, but best out of the 4. T-Mobile LTE cuts in and out a lot, mostly unusable anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    In my neighborhood, they both do equally...bad.

In my uber-wealthy brother's neighborhood on the east coast, they both do...equally bad. And they do worse there than at my house. Go figure.

And it's been that way since the day he moved in 20 years ago. He's on AT&T service and service inside the house is spotty at best. Frequently he moves out to the back yard to take calls. And on my t-mobile service a few weeks ago, my phone was in my pocket while I sat inside--and when I pulled it out, I had no service. It took awhile, out on the counter, to find anything. And even that wasn't useful for data.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    In my neighborhood, they both do equally...bad.

In my uber-wealthy brother's neighborhood on the east coast, they both do...equally bad. And they do worse there than at my house. Go figure.

And it's been that way since the day he moved in 20 years ago. He's on AT&T service and service inside the house is spotty at best. Frequently he moves out to the back yard to take calls. And on my t-mobile service a few weeks ago, my phone was in my pocket while I sat inside--and when I pulled it out, I had no service. It took awhile, out on the counter, to find anything. And even that wasn't useful for data.
    WiFi calling?

Feedback Score
    took a road trip last week and on the way there we had to take a detour due to bridge construction and my parents AT&T post paid service kept losing signal / no service on this back country road while my Verizon prepaid service showed Native Verizon coverage - Roaming - 3G -1x service.

Feedback Score
    I live in a rural setting. We were long time ATT users. TMO sent out a free WiFi router to 'test their service' in the Boston market. I put in a Boston address and got one shipped to me.

I activated the device (30 days, 30gb free). I set my note 8 to WiFi calling and used that mifi everywhere i needed to go. I never found a bad spot. There were areas that we're bad for ATT and TMO, but that's because neighborhood would not allow a tower.

We moved 6 lines over to TMO from ATT and 7 months later we have no regrets. My bill went from about $300 a month to $103 (military plan) and we get Netflix for $3 a month. I travel extensively for work and never had issues making calls and no problems in and out of Canada.

Go get a Sim and try it out.

Good luck

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    In my experience, the map is painted pink. You can look all over NE MN— T-Mobile claims best coverage. Anyone who lives up there will tell you a much different story. AT&T has been the dominant hand at play due to mergers and organic buildout in my area. T-Mobile is throwing up 600/700/1900 and calling it a day. The experience isn’t there... although they did light up a bunch of 600 MHz in my city.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    AT&T: 2008, 2012-2014, 2016-Present
    T-Mobile: 2011-2012, 2015, 2017-2019
    Verizon: 2010 via Straight Talk for 2 months, 2018
    Sprint: Couldn't pay me to use them

Feedback Score
    Not well. Around here terrible.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    In my experience, the map is painted pink. You can look all over NE MN— T-Mobile claims best coverage. Anyone who lives up there will tell you a much different story. AT&T has been the dominant hand at play due to mergers and organic buildout in my area. T-Mobile is throwing up 600/700/1900 and calling it a day. The experience isn’t there... although they did light up a bunch of 600 MHz in my city.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Copy and paste this experience for NE MI also.

Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Feedback Score

How does T-Mobile's actual coverage compare to AT&T?

T-mobile is full of crap . Here in California it shows more coverage than At&t on they maps . And even in the way to Vegas from LA it shows it covered more than At&t. Last month with my friend on TMobile we went to San Fransisco from LA 7 or 8 hour drive depends on traffic. I on at&t postpaid had more reliable service all LTE on the way there . Friend on T-mobile Lost Lte a lot and got hspa or even edge and data was spotty and calls struggled to connect and once they connect they did struggled to Stay connected. At&t had working LTE data and calling over LTE all the drive there , same driving to Arizona or Nevada again TMobile map shows more coverage there than At&t , but it's not true At&t has solid working LTE while T-mobile has lots of bad areas with hspa and I mean bad because one would think it would work decent but nope hspa fails a lot and it also has lots 2G edge as of now 2019 and overall just bad , same going into death valley , big bear , lake havasu in arizona all touristy places T-mobile craps out while At&t has decent coverage and it's LTE . So u would think since they touristy places TMobile would offer decent signal but nope so on this side of the world California, Nevada , Arizona even tho TMobile maps show more coverage than At&t it's all bull .. at&t works better.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    All carriers overstate their coverage maps, but T-Mobile is notorious for not being accurate.....
    One of the reasons T-Mobile's maps appear bad is because they appear to have such a high level of detail, then it turns out that everywhere marked "Fair" should be marked "Maybe". This is why if someone asks about coverage on the T-Mobile forum the usual advice they get is to look at 3rd-party maps (e.g. RootMetrics, Sensorly, CellMapper) or to try out a prepaid SIM for a month before switching. Never trust any carrier's online maps. Verizon just paints everything red. The difference is that with Verizon (or AT&T) if you find a place that's shown to have service but you don't find it, it's probably somewhere out in the middle of the woods. With T-Mobile it might be at the local grocery store.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I swear, T-Mobile should license the sound clip "Good luck" from the movie Taken, then play it whenever the user clicks on their coverage map on any area that isn't burning neon magenta.

And keep in mind: I say that as a current T-Mo customer. I live in a bubble of "good luck".

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Up here in rural Northwest California (Sonoma, Mendocino, Lake, Humboldt, Del Norte, Trinity Counties), if you want good, consistent coverage, Verizon, U.S. Cellular and AT&T are the way to go, though T-Mobile is good in some areas, just not nearly as many.

Device(s)
    Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, Moto G7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    Tmobile is OK in urban areas as we all know. It's another story out in the smaller towns. Friends wife and kids are with Tmobile, while he is with AT&T. Well, his son went to University of Wisconsin in Plattville, WI. T-mobile was literally not usable there. He had to move his son to AT&T. OTOH, when we visited the campus with my son a few months ago, there was only a handful of times that we did not have 4G all the way down there. Travelling from Chicago. Even the kids were surprised. I mean this was in the middle of no where.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast