Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to convert landline number to mobile cheap?

Device(s)
    LG Tribute HD
    Carrier(s)
    TPO
    Feedback Score

Question How to convert landline number to mobile cheap?

How to convert landline number to mobile cheap?
    =====================================

Thanks for replies to my postings. I have LG Tribute with TELLO plan.

I want to convert/park my landline number to mobile , so I can port to GV.

I thought of using separate SIM card with existing LG Tribute, but TELLO says one device cannot have 2 SIMs with different numbers.

What are the other options to port lineline # to Mobile Cheap?

Thanks for sharing.

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    Well, Tello customer service is partly correct. You cannot have 2 different Tello SIMs with different numbers on the same phone. (Although I suspect that it may be possible.) But there's no reason you cannot activate another SIM card on that phone with a different number using another MVNO.

I don't know about your LG Tribute but I am going to assume that it is locked to the Sprint network, so you will have to use a Sprint MVNO in order to port your landline number. My suggestion is to use Ting. You can purchase a Ting SIM card from the website for $1 but there might be a shipping fee. You will have to go through the procedure of entering your device model, IMEI, etc. and request a port-in of your landline number. You might actually have to wait until you have received your Ting SIM card in the mail before you begin the activation, I'm not sure.

But with Ting you don't have to prepay voice minutes, texts or data. You are only doing a port-in and activation. The activation itself will cost you $6.

So if I am following the Ting website correctly, you can port and activate the number on Ting for $7.00 plus shipping of the SIM card and any taxes. You would only have to leave the Ting SIM card in your phone long enough to activate it with your landline number, then take it out and replace your Tello SIM card. Just be sure to mention whether you speak with a customer service representative or do it all on their website, that you are porting a landline number, not getting a new number. Porting a landline number can take longer than from a cell phone, even days, but as I mentioned before, you don't have to leave the Ting SIM card in your phone while it's being ported.

Phase two is porting your number to Google Voice, which is a follow-up post for you. Now, if your LG Tribute is not locked to Sprint, you have lots of other options, but the procedure will be similar.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    Well, Tello customer service is partly correct. You cannot have 2 different Tello SIMs with different numbers on the same phone. (Although I suspect that it may be possible.) But there's no reason you cannot activate another SIM card on that phone with a different number using another MVNO.

I don't know about your LG Tribute but I am going to assume that it is locked to the Sprint network, so you will have to use a Sprint MVNO in order to port your landline number....
    Tello customer service is completely correct. You cannot have a Sprint phone IMEI with more than one line of service even on another Sprint MVNO. This is a Sprint limitation, not Tello.

The Tribute is a Sprint only phone. It can't be used on a "GSM" carrier for a second line.

You could get a non-working, parts only, clean IMEI phone off eBay for $1 and use that to get a mobile number from whichever carrier/MVNO to port to GV.

Friends, family, cow-orkers may have old phones in a drawer they may be willing to let you use temporarily.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Since you say you want to keep the process simple, I would recommend using a different phone from your mobile. Do you have an old phone or can you borrow one?

If not, I would recommend getting the cheapest prepaid burner from Dollar General or Target, or any retailer or site even, and porting the landline onto that device.

Landline ports can take a week. Once the number is active and can make and receive calls, wait one day and then start the port to GV. You will need the account and pin which will depend on which phone you get.

Are you set on GV or open to other ideas?

Remember: simple, cheap, fast; choose two and sometimes it's choose one. Not going to hit all three on most projects.

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Tello customer service is completely correct. You cannot have a Sprint phone IMEI with more than one line of service even on another Sprint MVNO. This is a Sprint limitation, not Tello.
    I stand corrected. I was not aware of this restriction with Sprint phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I stand corrected. I was not aware of this restriction with Sprint phones.
    Yeah, Sprint has some arcane rules that are not well known and other carriers don't do.

Device(s)
    LG Tribute HD
    Carrier(s)
    TPO
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for weighing in and suggestion.

My LG Tribute HD is sprint/CDMA unlocked.

I have an old phone Nokia Lumina 530 (windows/Tmoble).

Am I able to use with any MVNOs for cheap deals for porting need?

It is OK, even without any minutes for a 10 days.

Thanks for sharing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RIMDHoward View Post
    I ported my landline # to GV via T-Mobile. This webpage https://www.obitalk.com/info/tutorials/porttutorial gives you some insight about porting # to GV. People have success porting through carriers too. I bought the T-Mobile SIM for $10 that came with $10 credit (good for 3 month pay-as-you-go). I don't think you can get that kind of SIM these days.

You have to be careful here. Landline # porting takes longer. In my case it took 11 business days (more than 2 weeks) to port to T-Mobile. From T-Mobile to GV is fast - about 24 hours if I remember correctly.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for weighing in and suggestion.

My LG Tribute HD is sprint/CDMA unlocked.

Am I able to use with any MVNOs for cheap deals for porting need?

Thanks for sharing.
    The Nokia should work with T-Mobile or one of their MVNOs.

Basic T-Mobile prepaid service is $3 a month. I don't know if they charge for the SIM.

https://www.ultramobile.com/paygo/?i...Q5RM3G9P617763

You could port your landline to the Tribute, then port that to GV, but you would lose the number and service on the Tribute.

Feedback Score
    Years ago, I followed online advice and bought a real cheap flip phone from CVS and I think it's a Tracfone for like $9. The phone came with 10 minutes on it so I was able to activate it by porting the land line to the Tracfone without adding minutes to the phone service. It needed the account # and PW from the old phone company. IT took about 3 days I recall. Once the landline phone number got on the Tracfone system, I then ported to GV and that took about one day. All together, it cost $30. We did it mainly to get rid of the landline cost of about $30/month. We still use it as a "landline" in the house via an Obi box although it gets more junk calls than useful calls these days. It was a move that saved money years ago.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would use a prepaid of which ever carrier the phone number is already with. When moving the landline over, it was originally on att pots service. Ported over to att prepaid, then to gv. From pots to prepaid took about 2 or 3 days. Quicker than the usual land line ports. I suspect if it was going to another carrier it would be longer.

Device(s)
    LG Tribute HD
    Carrier(s)
    TPO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The Nokia should work with T-Mobile or one of their MVNOs.

Basic T-Mobile prepaid service is $3 a month. I don't know if they charge for the SIM.

https://www.ultramobile.com/paygo/?i...Q5RM3G9P617763

You could port your landline to the Tribute, then port that to GV, but you would lose the number and service on the Tribute.
    Thanks for your suggestion.

I find that Basic T-Mobile prepaid service is $3 a month thru ultramobile, but they says I need buy SIM card from T-mobile stores for $13.00

Is it the correct info?

Are there any other places to buy this SIM card for LESS ?

Are there any coupon/promotion code for it ?

Thanks for sharing.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your suggestion.

I find that Basic T-Mobile prepaid service is $3 a month thru ultramobile, but they says I need buy SIM card from T-mobile stores for $13.00

Is it the correct info?

Are there any coupon/promotion code for it ?

Thanks for sharing.
    Is https://www.ultramobile.com/paygo/ the $3/mo Ultra Mobile plan you're referring to? The pricing is expensive for normal use, but it seems like a good deal for your desired purpose.

The cheapest way I know of to get a T-Mo SIM card is from an eBay seller for around $3. I just took a quick look, and https://www.ebay.com/p/T-Mobile-4G-L...ard/1440715433 is $3.39 delivered.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score

Generally agreed that the $5 or so triple punch sim cards on eBay are the least expensive, the lowest I see now is $3.39. ( Edited to add item IDs 183888930152 183918305201 search one of those.)

This has time overhead of setting up eBay and PayPal if you don't use them already. Any new tmobile sim card will activate on tmobile prepaid.

But!

I think to port to google voice you have to have some air time to receive a verification call, which would mean adding anothe $10 in Tmobile recharge to this project, so I would propose the cheapest is getting at preloaded ultra mobile sim, they are $10 or so, least expensive is $9.90 free shipping or best offer. Search eBay for

That is the ID the least expensive one. Note that I have never used this seller or Ultra Mobile, so if there are catches there, others please chime in!

When you activate, you will need the IMEI number. Since it is a TMO phone, dial *#06# and write down the phone IMEI number. You can have the seller start the number port for you once you get the sim, according to the sale page.

Once ported you will be a Ultra customer and can then port to GV. Your account and pin numbers will be different, and you may have to get those from Ultra or the seller. That new pin number is what you need to port the second time. You will have a month of service on the new Ultra line to get the second port underway.

It is $20 to port into GV so the quoted cost of about $30 or $33 so that is spot on still.

The plan with tmobile is about $3 more expensive and I think probably worth it. They will handle starting the port on the phone with you. The plan with ultra is slightly cheaper but more hands on and there is probably less help available if things don't go smoothly, and sometimes porting doesn't. Tmobile prepaid will stick with you and help get your number ported and they have decent hours. You do have to be a little patient as it is offshore usually.

When I gave up on a land line I ported to VoIP.ms. It was a direct port, no cell provider stop over. Forwards to any number I want and it is about a dollar a month. Plus no Google data harvesting. Much more geeky web site though. Not for the VoIP beginner, as they say.

Good luck as you start with this, do post back, there are lots of helpful folks here.
    Last edited by Vertabrae; 08-17-2019 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Add item I

Feedback Score
    eBay T-Mobile SIM may not work anymore according to the discussion here:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...y-Ultra-Mobile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast