Thread: Upgrading phone with a monthly account

Feedback Score

Upgrading phone with a monthly account

Looking at the Activate section on the PPC website I see "Activate a phone with a new phone number" and "Activate and keep (port) my current phone number". Is the latter the way to just transfer an existing account to a new phone, even though there is no actual number porting involved? Is this automated system the best (safest) way to do this, or is a CSR Chat session better? On Tracfone it is better to use a Chat session for better verification.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You just put the existing sim card into the new phone and you're done. If your current phone doesn't have VoLTE and you want it, get a new sim card and transfer your existing account and phone number to the new device with new sim card. This will require new provisioning that should include VoLTE.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    In the pre-LTE days to change phones (keeping same line/account) you'd call or chat to do the ESN/MEID change. There was never a web form to initiate it. With PPC, unlike TracFone, they didn't have the website happening.

I think CrazyMind2017's advice is the norm now if you're starting with an existing LTE SIM device. PPC's system (and verified with at least one report of a CSR stating it verbatim) recognizes the change and records the association of the new device (its IMEI) and the line of service (in the SIM). It doesn't hold on to prior pairings, apparently.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    You just put the existing sim card into the new phone and you're done. If your current phone doesn't have VoLTE and you want it, get a new sim card and transfer your existing account and phone number to the new device with new sim card. This will require new provisioning that should include VoLTE.
    The existing phone has a micro SIM, and any newer one will have a nano. Not real keen on SIM swaps anyway unless there is no other way. Better to leave the SIM in the old phone for transfer back if needed. An account transfer is what I was interested in. Was just confused by the statement "Activate and keep (port) my current phone number". Doing a number port from another provider is not the same as a service transfer from an existing account.

Device(s)
    Motorola V176
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone,
    Feedback Score
    I switched to a new phone a week ago. Tried to do it on the web site, and the further I went into porting the number, the more wrong it looked. I gave up when it demanded I add airtime to transfer my number to the new phone. I called a CSR, and the job got done in 5 to 10 minutes.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So then you'll need a Page Plus or Tracfone nano sim card for the new phone. Then you just do customer service online chat or call them on the phone and do a simple device change. They will ask for the phone number, four digit security pin, the IMEI and sim card number (ICCID) of the old phone as well as the IMEI and sim card number in the new phone. Should take less than five minutes, even if they do it slowly.

You do not port a phone number. You do not activate a new line. You do not use the particular webpage on their site that you are talking about.

At this point, the new device you are putting on the network should be VoLTE capable and since you will be provisioning a new device with a new sim card, VoLTE should be active as soon as you complete the change and try your first test call.

As for visual voicemail, that's hit or miss. If your visual voicemail doesn't work and you get a bunch of garbled text messages, you should go back and contact customer service again and have your line downgraded to standard voicemail. It's a little inconvenient, but shouldn't be a big deal to most people who are on Page Plus to save money by using a cheaper MVNO monthly plan than most postpaid plans.

At this time, as far as I'm aware, there is no wifi calling on Page Plus.

Feedback Score
    So then you'll need a Page Plus or Tracfone nano sim card for the new phone. Then you just do customer service online chat or call them on the phone and do a simple device change. They will ask for the phone number, four digit security pin, the IMEI and sim card number (ICCID) of the old phone as well as the IMEI and sim card number in the new phone. Should take less than five minutes, even if they do it slowly.
    Same process as Tracfone, except there you also can do a device change online. I put all the phone information in a text file to cut and paste into the chat window as needed. What is PP using for a password these days? Last I saw, it was the last 4 digits of the phone number unless it was changed.

I don't expect a problem with VoLTE or VVM, as the present phone account already has these. This is for a friend who has never activated a phone themselves. Has always had a local PP dealer do everything, which I don't see the need for.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    What is PP using for a password these days? Last I saw, it was the last 4 digits of the phone number unless it was changed.
    That's what I thought too but about a month or so ago there was a thread and someone claiming it's now "1234". Guess a quick chat session may be called for.

Quick EDIT...just did a chat:

Thank you for visiting Page Plus today. How may I help you?
    Me: Is the default passcode for a phone still the last 4 numbers of the phone number ?
    Jefferson: We no longer use that as a default pass code since 2016. It is necessary that our customers contact us to set up a personal four-digit pass code.
    Me: So with a new activation someone needs to call in to set one??
    Jefferson: That is correct.
    Jefferson: Our customers can also set up their pass code through chat.
    Me: So with a new activation wouldn't someone need the code to get service? How would you confirm the account?
    Jefferson: We would ask some security questions about the account, related to the payment they made. We will also send a text message to the phone with a code to ensure the person who is contacting us has the phone handy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    That's what I thought too but about a month or so ago there was a thread and someone claiming it's now "1234". Guess a quick chat session may be called for.
    Yes, the pass code rules have changed on the Tracfone companies in the last couple of years. On Tracfone itself there was no special pass code, it was any 4 digits. The never asked for it then, but now do. With my last phone change it was asked, and I did not know it. I gave them a 4 digit number I use commonly and they accepted it. May have been bogus, and they might have accepted any number.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post

Quick EDIT...just did a chat:

Thank you for visiting Page Plus today. How may I help you?
    Me: Is the default passcode for a phone still the last 4 numbers of the phone number ?
    Jefferson: We no longer use that as a default pass code since 2016. It is necessary that our customers contact us to set up a personal four-digit pass code.
    Me: So with a new activation someone needs to call in to set one??
    Jefferson: That is correct.
    Jefferson: Our customers can also set up their pass code through chat.
    Me: So with a new activation wouldn't someone need the code to get service? How would you confirm the account?
    Jefferson: We would ask some security questions about the account, related to the payment they made. We will also send a text message to the phone with a code to ensure the person who is contacting us has the phone handy.
    When I said, "I ported the number in earlier today with a $10 pay-as-you-go pin," I was told, "I'm sorry, but that information is incorrect." Since the problem I called about was an activation issue, the newly ported in line I had wasn't working yet, so they couldn't send me a text verification. If I hadn't known the default security pin is 1234, I would have had to escalate to a higher level rep and hope for understanding and forgiveness, and if that hadn't worked, I would have been SOL.

Feedback Score
    When I said, "I ported the number in earlier today with a $10 pay-as-you-go pin," I was told, "I'm sorry, but that information is incorrect." Since the problem I called about was an activation issue, the newly ported in line I had wasn't working yet, so they couldn't send me a text verification. If I hadn't known the default security pin is 1234, I would have had to escalate to a higher level rep and hope for understanding and forgiveness, and if that hadn't worked, I would have been SOL.
    Yes yours is a situation where what the CSR (chat) said wouldn't work. Need to remember the 1234 in case there's ever an activation issue. Thanks.