iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Sprint PCS spectrum looks like boon for T-Mobile

Some information from former HoFo'er Milan Milanovic:

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/sp...n-for-t-mobile

“The new T-Mobile will build an LTE layer on a denser cell site grid using Sprint and T-Mobile PCS spectrum synergies in combination with T-Mobile’s 600 MHz, 700 MHz and AWS holdings,” writes Ookla Technical Evangelist Milan Milanovic in a blog posting. Part of the plan is to overlay 2.5 GHz 5G-capable radios on existing T-Mobile sites, and then over time to reconfigure the existing PCS radio equipment to support additional PCS spectrum coming from Sprint.

Name:  Screen%20Shot%202019-08-06%20at%203.25.30%20PM.png
Views: 554
Size:  209.8 KB

Milanovic found that in many major markets, Sprint’s PCS spectrum is contiguous to existing T-Mobile assets and will allow for wider allocations and higher spectral efficiency.

“Looking closely at the PCS spectrum in top markets, the contiguity between Sprint and T-Mobile is staggering,” he writes. “In markets like Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia and Detroit, adding the Sprint G Block will allow the new T-Mobile to expand the existing PCS spectrum assets and deploy 20 MHz channels. In Miami and Atlanta, the contiguous PCS block is a whopping 30 MHz wide. In markets like Detroit and Dallas, T-Mobile will have two 20 MHz PCS channels. This will enable the new T-Mobile to offer significantly improved capacity while leveraging more spectrally efficient 20 MHz channels. All this additional capacity makes the PCS spectrum a strong candidate for the 5G network.”

Name:  Screen%20Shot%202019-08-06%20at%203.25.50%20PM.png
Views: 550
Size:  48.1 KB
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus 64GB and iPhone 11 PRO Max 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post

Some information from former HoFo'er Milan Milanovic:

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/sp...n-for-t-mobile

“The new T-Mobile will build an LTE layer on a denser cell site grid using Sprint and T-Mobile PCS spectrum synergies in combination with T-Mobile’s 600 MHz, 700 MHz and AWS holdings,” writes Ookla Technical Evangelist Milan Milanovic in a blog posting. Part of the plan is to overlay 2.5 GHz 5G-capable radios on existing T-Mobile sites, and then over time to reconfigure the existing PCS radio equipment to support additional PCS spectrum coming from Sprint.

Name:  Screen%20Shot%202019-08-06%20at%203.25.30%20PM.png
Views: 554
Size:  209.8 KB

Milanovic found that in many major markets, Sprint’s PCS spectrum is contiguous to existing T-Mobile assets and will allow for wider allocations and higher spectral efficiency.

“Looking closely at the PCS spectrum in top markets, the contiguity between Sprint and T-Mobile is staggering,” he writes. “In markets like Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia and Detroit, adding the Sprint G Block will allow the new T-Mobile to expand the existing PCS spectrum assets and deploy 20 MHz channels. In Miami and Atlanta, the contiguous PCS block is a whopping 30 MHz wide. In markets like Detroit and Dallas, T-Mobile will have two 20 MHz PCS channels. This will enable the new T-Mobile to offer significantly improved capacity while leveraging more spectrally efficient 20 MHz channels. All this additional capacity makes the PCS spectrum a strong candidate for the 5G network.”

Name:  Screen%20Shot%202019-08-06%20at%203.25.50%20PM.png
Views: 550
Size:  48.1 KB
    Excellent news. The merger is a win win for all consumers!
    Manners cost nothing, and also have the added benefit of making a man. You know, it is entirely possible to rise above others, without stooping to pushing them under, and putting them down.
    My Sister is a supervisor at T-Mobile's Salem Oregon Call center. Loyal T-Mobile customer of 15 Years.

Feedback Score
    Yes, Trees. Pro-consumer and very competitive.

Sprint wasn't doing much good providing a "product" that was useless to most customers, while they hoarded all that spectrum and never used it.

This is great news for ALL cell customers in the US: a much more competitive T-Mobile is good for VRZ and ATT customers also.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I thought this article was interesting given the fact that so much emphasis has been put on Sprint's massive 2.5 GHz holdings as opposed to how much continuity there is with both companies PCS holdings that will improve LTE capacity greatly in many areas.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    A real shame Sprint couldn't compete but at least someone competent will take over and deploy all of these unused spectrum assets.

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    I'm hopeful that in markets with excess capacity like mine (Atlanta), they'll be offering in home broadband sooner rather than later. This is one of the benefits of The New T-Mobile I'm looking forward to the most.

Struggle Markets like some of New York City, Chicago, should benefit greatly as well. It's going to be interesting to see how aggressive the rural roll-out is going to be as well.

It would be sooo nice if a settlement with the states could be reached. To think we could be benefiting today if not for politics, misinformation, and greed, SMDH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    I'm hopeful that in markets with excess capacity like mine (Atlanta), they'll be offering in home broadband sooner rather than later.....
    They'll be required to continue offering low-cost, unthrottled, wireless data services through MobileCitizen.org as a requirement of the lease of 2.5 GHz licenses in certain key markets. The trick is to qualify. Talk to your school district about this.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 08-07-2019 at 12:51 PM.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I saw this article as well. Is the map accurate? It shows 61-80MHz here in my area, but I only see 20+20 for 40 here on Spectrum Omega. i.e. I only see 5 more MHz coming from Sprint on the PCS band.

AT&T has 35MHz just on the download side here on B2. Am I doing something wrong? Here's my DL table.

Operator | B2 | B25

AT&T | 1930-1965 | -
    Sprint | - | 1990-1995
    T-Mobile | 1975-1990 | -
    Verizon | 1965-1975 | -

Good news in any event, but how much good news? My phone supposedly supports B41 and B25 as well.

Thanks,

Edit: To answer my own question. I looked at SO again and apparently the license is split for the block. 1930-1945 belongs in the Sprint column, so I will update my database. So better news than I had thought!
    Last edited by Falcon_73; 08-07-2019 at 04:56 PM.